PDA

View Full Version : SATA HD Recognition Problems

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Can anyone please help me with my computer "pc"
I'm typing away now on a pos one now..

My other has had a failed HD
and now has another new HD.. western digital 500gb ..but this time SATA and not IDE
The computer is quite old and has two sata plugs and two IDE ones ..
The motherboard is ASUS A7N8X DELUX REVISION 2
The bios only recognises the IDE .........so I cant put the XP Pro opperating system on it ..
Ive tried downloading bios for it to make it recognise sata..but I pic the wrong one each time ...because there are so many different ones, i dont know what to pick ...the asus site doesnt tell me what is the correct one for my computer.
As you can see there are 19 bios options......so ive tried the latest ..and the next one down ...the wording on the decription seems to indicate that the two ive tried will recognise sata...the others ..there isnt any wording to say such
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
so far I have tried
The AN8D1009....and the 1008-d with the awdflash.exe on a floppy...both dont install ...says something about wrong chipset.....so i cant bugger up the bios even if i wanted to :)..it wants the right one and the right latest revision only
also im confused as to weather i should be downloading the raid flash or the bios flash ..whatever ..ive never actually used the raid ..or want to..........and dont know what it has to do with sata.
by the way ..when i go into the bios, there isnt any mention anywhere of sata ..being enabled or disabled ....Only IDE
my local computer shop say they often encounter this problem on laptops...and to get around it, they instal vista first ...
so what direction should i be going .

all the best.markj

cuemaker
06-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Ok, did you get your revision number of the Mb itself?

oldtiffie
06-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Mark.

It is quite possible that your SATA disk is faulty as well. Can you try a good SATA HDD?

It seems that the BIOS recognises the IDE HDD - so I presume that the IDE HDD is OK.

There is no reason that I am aware of that XP Pro will only run/install on a SATA drive. I had it on IDE drives on my computers on older main boards until I up-graded them not too long ago when I put XP Pro on a SATA drive in one computer and W7 on a SATA drive on the other computer.

I did not notice any real difference using XP Pro with either IDE or SATA.

I did have a problem with a "slave" IDE hard drive when the disc or CD/DVD "master" IDE drive failed - or was it the other way round? - anyway replacing the faulty IDE drive soon fixed that up.

gcude
06-24-2010, 07:11 PM
I have had problems with certain ASUS motherboards and SATA drives not being usable as the Master drive. Moving/Configuring the connection for Slave allowed the SATA drive to be detected, usable, bootable. Good luck.

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2010, 07:27 PM
The first boot screen sees it ...sees the size of the hd ..the xp pro disk does not

ive had a sata drive as the main drive in the past...3 years ago or more ago..but it was very involved, making it do that ..
it involved installing ide drive putting xp on that dive ..then putting rave drivers on from the installed xp...........then taking drive out and swapping to sata...then it recognised and let me instal xp on the drive ...
i dont have time for all this palavor......or want to go through with all that ..or have a spare ide drive..

instructions for adding raid from floppy say press f6 on start up ...f6 does nothing ...

f2 + alt gets me into the flash utilty ...but it dont recognise any of the file names on the floppy that belong to the raid flash stuff ..

btw ..........because of a virus ...in the past i had to reset the bios with the jumpers ..thats when i lost the settings ...i think....its defaulted to its oroginal bios.

once xp is on it it recognises all sata ...but its getting there... that is the problem.

all the best.markj

fright101
06-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Mark-

XP gives the option of installing RAID drivers when installing by pressing F6. What you linked to are the bios flash utils, not the RAID drivers for your system board. I believe that the problem is, XP doesn't really recognise what is going on until you define the RAID on the system board. Otherwise, you will get a loop on the install itself. Try pressing F6 during the XP install AFTER you have downloaded the RAID driver to floppy.

HTH

Bill

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
when i first booted the drive it went strait to the xp disk and started the xp set up and and then said it couldnt see the drive

the second and all next boots did not get me to the xp set up .

all the best.markj

fright101
06-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Mark-

To be clear, you have selected the CD as the first choice in the boot order?

If it is the first choice, change it to HDD or RAID, then reboot saving changes. You can keep the CD in the drive, as it will not boot from it unless there are no other boot options. Then try to revert back to the CD as the first boot option (unless this changes your situation and you can indeed install XP) to see if there is not some reason why it will no longer boot from the CD.

Bill

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2010, 08:45 PM
ok will try

be a while ...
one monitor and one mouse keyboard . etc all have to be swapped over ..

dp
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I had that same MB and as I recall it can't boot from SATA, and I think it is only SATA 1 support. I had two SATA disks in there that were never used and when I upgraded to an Intel quad core MB, those same disks were still useless. I bought a pair of 500GB SATAII disks and they work fine with RedHat Linux. So I have two SATA 1 disks, never used, but powered up for 3 years :)

lost_cause
06-24-2010, 10:01 PM
it's been a while since i have done a fresh xp install, but i vaguely remember there being a upper size limit prior to sp2 at least? 128gb or so i think?

when you boot the bios can recognize the drive, but the operating system may not. can you get far enough to define a partition for the drive or is it failing before that?

one other thing, and you would have to look at the motherboard manual for specifics: i know there have been boards and bios setups that do not handle a mixture of ide/sata items, and also some may require certain settings that don't necessarily seem to make sense in order to recognize a sata drive, like setting all channels to sata. this often is the case if hooking to a channel that can function as a raid controller.

aboard_epsilon
06-24-2010, 10:04 PM
sorted now ..im on the asus a7n8x sata computer

had to set all boots to cd.

and was warned a couple of times that the raid software would make my computer unstable... xp warned me during the instalation.

but all seems ok now ..

got 100 or so updates to instal now :(

something like 74 ms secutirty updates and sp3

thankyou bill

all the best.markj