PDA

View Full Version : logan lathe

RichardG
06-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi I have come across a logan 11x 24 thread cutting lathe 3 phase motor ball roller? bearings, no missing teeth cross feed no real wear on the ways it does have its share of tiny little dings on the bed and v ways tail stock is tight no rust on ways has its own stand lots of peeling paint and some rust on stand. Cross feed has maby a quarter turn slop , compound has been chewed on and nut has half turn slop.Lead screw is good does not show much wear and teeth on rack are good to. It only has a three jaw chuck .I need a little larger lathe than my 9" Jet. Price is $450. What say you yah or nay?
Richard

Dr Stan
06-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me. Many parts are available via Logan Actuator, or of course from EBay & Craig's List. You could run it off a phase converter or swap out the motor for a single phase.

I think you'll find it is a much better lathe than the Jet.

wooleybooger
06-25-2010, 12:18 AM
is it quick-change or change gear? is it better than your jet? is the center to center long enough? will some of the tooling from the jet fit the logan? if you need a lathe with more C to C distance more diameter wont help much. if the C to C distance of your jet is enough the larger turning radius of the logan will be an improvement. $450 sounds cheap enough that i would buy it anyway. logan parts are always on e-bay.

wooleybooger
06-25-2010, 12:37 AM
i forgot the 3-phase motor. dont pass it up soley because it has a 3-phase motor. home-built converters are cheap and easy,VFDs are getting cheaper and there is plenty of info on the net about hooking them up. if its a worn out piece of junk pass it up irregardless of the motor. if its a good,solid machine buy it no matter what motor it has. i built an RPC from a kit using my motor for a little less than $200 and run 2 machines with it

RichardG
06-25-2010, 01:47 AM
I have 3 phase so the motor is no problem it has the quick change gear box. How much trouble finding a four jaw chuck ? anything special I should look for?
Trouble spots? Were they all painted that ugly green? Model is 1955 I think
Thanks for all the info Richard

Dr Stan
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I have 3 phase so the motor is no problem it has the quick change gear box. How much trouble finding a four jaw chuck ? anything special I should look for?
Trouble spots? Were they all painted that ugly green? Model is 1955 I think
Thanks for all the info Richard

Richard,

Finding a 4 jaw will not be an issue. Just make sure you buy something good and not a Chinese or Indian import. Craigs List, EBay are good sources for used and there are several tool houses from which to buy. Travers Tool and MSC are my favorites and Enco is not bad. Just watch for the rpm rating on the chuck to make sure the lathe will not exceed the rpm. You'll want a semi-steel or steel 4 jaw, rather than cast iron.

Green. Hum. Sounds like someone got a hold of some WWII surplus paint. All the Logans I've seen and used were gray.

Is this a variable speed head with a back gear? If so the bar one pulls out in the head to go into low range and associated components tend to wear, but are easily repaired/replaced. The other issue may be the drive belt. If it is original it will be hard and slick reducing the transfer of power. Any good industrial supply house, or Logan Actuator, should be able to provide a replacement.

The other weak point I've seen on the Logan is the bolts for tightening the compound. I finally started making replacements from O-1 flat stock and fine thread set screws (5/16-24 if I remember correctly). Drilled and taped the O-1 and used Lock Tite on the threads to fashion a T-bolt.

Stan

Duffy
06-25-2010, 09:54 AM
The color of a Logan is really really important! I painted mine RED and got an official complaint. Logans are GREAT mid-quality lathes. If it runs and is as you describe, then $450.00 is a good deal. There is every kind of part, and accessory available. As far as staying away from Aisian import accessories-that is plain snobbery. The damned lathe is only worth $450.00-your price, and someone suggests spending Bison money on the chucks? Give me a break! Spend what you save on a chuck on a VFD for your 3 phase motor.
Buy it and be VERY happy with it.

Mister ED
06-25-2010, 10:44 PM
The other weak point I've seen on the Logan is the bolts for tightening the compound. I finally started making replacements from O-1 flat stock and fine thread set screws (5/16-24 if I remember correctly). Drilled and taped the O-1 and used Lock Tite on the threads to fashion a T-bolt.

Stan
Dr Stan ... If you get a chance could you snap a pic of your compound bolts? I would like to change my compound to a different araingment ... but can not quite picture what you are saying.

Dr Stan
06-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Dr Stan ... If you get a chance could you snap a pic of your compound bolts? I would like to change my compound to a different araingment ... but can not quite picture what you are saying.

That was with a former employer, so no pics are available.

I did not change the compound, but simply used a different method to fashion the T bolts. Instead of machining them out of solid, I made an assembly.

The bottom, or flat of the T was made from O-1 flat bar. I simply cut them to length and drilled & taped a hole in the middle.

I purchased fine thread set screws of the proper diameter and length, and applied loctite at assembly. I chose fine thread as it is stronger than coarse.

This is all from memory, but I think I used 3/16" thick flat bar for the T. Once the two pieces were assembled I turned the T so it had an oval shape. At least for some I also cross drilled through the T and the screw and inserted a 3/32" spring pin.

I do remember brazing some together after assembly, but the tool steel ended up too hard and would quickly fail.

Hope this helps.

Stan

J Tiers
06-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Logan 11" is a nice machine. takes a 5C collet.

Spindle might be either threaded or a modern nose. bed ways might be hardened (look for tag). Probably has the fancier "automatic" apron.

I'd look at the 3 phase as an advantage, but you can make it a point against the sale and see how solid the seller's price is. (Oh, I forgot, americans don't haggle).

Green sounds like a later Powermatic, it may be a rather new one from the 1980s

atty
06-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Very familiar with that "pea green". This pic (prior to cleanup) is from my 1953 912 with 920 gear box. I have gray paint in stock, but I can't seem to unplug it long enough to get there.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/atty5420/th_100_1369.jpg (http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/atty5420/100_1369.jpg)