PDA

View Full Version : oiling a lathe

Jim Doherty
06-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I'd like to thank those of you who helpfully responded to my question regarding oiling the ball/cup oil ports on my lathe. a short length of tubing allowed a tight seal and allowed me to pump oil into the ports. Thank you all for an inexpensive, quick fix to my quandry.
One question remains though, is auto oil a poor choice of lubricant? There are no recommendations in the manual other than machine oil. Isn't an automobile a machine? :p

Thanks, Jim Doherty

Black_Moons
06-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Yes auto oil is a very poor choice and may have addatives that attack the brass cup.

Buy 'way oil' and use it everywhere, WAYY better then automotive oil, super thick and sticky and very low friction. Its actualy better to the point where you will easily feel the diffrence in operating the lathe.

lakeside53
06-24-2010, 11:37 PM
What BM says... and for $15 a gallon (Vactra 2) why would you use anything else?

use search.. there's at least 8765 ;) posts on this topic, and about as many different viewpoints..

Your Old Dog
06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the confirmation guys! We got off on a tangent and never did get an answer to that one.

Jim, I was using regular 30 weight motor oil when I first got my SB9. A friends son came over to help me get started, he was a machinist. He told me the additives would cause problems, amoung them sticktion. I once coated the top of a drill press table in auto oil for storage. A year later it was like molasses but came off okay with kerosene. South Bend reccomends three different oils, way oil for the ways, gear oil for the gears and spindle oil for the spindles.

Way oil is supposed to allow swarf to come to the surface when applied to the ways of a lathe and it is fairly thick oil

Gear oil is thinner then way but much thicker then spindle oil. Gear oils big attribute is that it will stick on the gears while lubricating them as well.

Spindle oil is damn near like water. Very thin but keep in mind it goes into a well and is wicked up to the bearings in many cases.

I bought a gallon of gear and spindle oil and FIVE.....yes 5 freaking gallons of way oil cause that's the only size my supplier sold it in. My "home" shop will likely list my way oil can to an heir in my estate :D

Mcgyver
06-25-2010, 03:19 PM
hydraulic fluid is a very pure oil and readily available. lots of 68 and 32 get used in my shop in gear boxes, aprons and ways

I have mixed feelings on the way oil, I have it and use it but am thinking more and more i don't want something sticky left on the ways to trap what falls out of the sky.

Black_Moons
06-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, I managed to get a 1 gallon jug of way oil. Thats probley why I use it in my oil can to oil.. EVERYTHING. Get my $15 worth outta it insted of just using 300ml over the next 15 years on my ways.

If its good enough for precision machinery, its gotta be good enough for door hinges and other misc stuff.

MTNGUN
06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
What BM says... and for $15 a gallon (Vactra 2) why would you use anything else?
Because chainsaw bar oil is the same stuff for half the price and you can find it locally. :) But, to each his own.

Jim, the tubing on the tip of the oiler makes it easy, doesn't it ? When I tried it for the first time, I felt ....er, mentally challenged.... for not figuring it out sooner. I'm glad its working for you. You'll find some good information on this site, if you can put up with us.

The Artful Bodger
06-25-2010, 06:54 PM
If I am not mistaken hydraulic oils are just base oils with no special purpose additives. The can I have says it is suitable for lightly loaded spur gearboxes and general light lubrication, seems to describe my lathe pretty well.

Jim Doherty
06-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Because chainsaw bar oil is the same stuff for half the price and you can find it locally. :) But, to each his own.

Jim, the tubing on the tip of the oiler makes it easy, doesn't it ? When I tried it for the first time, I felt ....er, mentally challenged.... for not figuring it out sooner. I'm glad its working for you. You'll find some good information on this site, if you can put up with us.

:D Thanks MTNGUN

lakeside53
06-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Not so... until a year ago a top brand like Stihl used virgin oils and paratac additives; that made it similar to way oil - and it cost nearly the same as way oil. They dropped the expensive paratac and for all we know now use molasses as a tackifier. Lower tier brands use anything they like for chain saw oil - mosty what they can get cheaply - and it's all "recycled refined" oil. You have no idea what you are getting... even with the same brand batch to batch.

For a home shop, a gallon of real way oil with Enco's free freight costs almost nothing per year...

airsmith282
06-25-2010, 09:37 PM
it depends on the lathe mine calls for 10w or 20w so i called and asked busy bee about 30w non detergent and they said it would over all be the best choice, i use it in the gear box and the bed ways and in all the oilers and it works great, and i only have to change the oil 1 to 2 times a year, and my lathe runs much quieter with the 30w non detergent,,

PeteF
06-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Just wondering how you determined it was the same? I'm not saying it's not the same, or it doesn't work, just how you were able to come to that conclusion. Particularly since there are different grades of way oil.

In Australia, the smallest container available of way oil is 20 litres at about $130, so that's a serious disincentive for a home or small workshop. I've heard of guys using chain bar oil but would be interested in a source that definitively states it is precisely the same as way oil, and if so which grade?

Pete

Ken_Shea
06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
it depends on the lathe mine calls for 10w or 20w so i called and asked busy bee about 30w non detergent and they said it would over all be the best choice, i use it in the gear box and the bed ways and in all the oilers and it works great, and i only have to change the oil 1 to 2 times a year, and my lathe runs much quieter with the 30w non detergent,,

airsmith282, I did the same thing for decades, then continued reading al the hoopla about way oil, so for less then $20 bucks I gave it a try so I could prove them wrong, was taken back for a bit on just how much smoother things moved with the way oil (Vactra #2)

Really, You should give it a try.

fasto
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Because chainsaw bar oil is the same stuff for half the price and you can find it locally.
If your machine has automatic oiling or one-shot oiling using Bijur or Chiba metering valves, stay far from chainsaw bar oil. It is full of wax and other things that will gum these $15 valves up and they simply cannot be cleaned.

PeteF
06-25-2010, 11:22 PM
If your machine has automatic oiling or one-shot oiling using Bijur or Chiba metering valves, stay far from chainsaw bar oil. It is full of wax and other things that will gum these $15 valves up and they simply cannot be cleaned.

Thanks for that. I don't use a one shot system myself ... well, I have one shot at remembering to do it I suppose, but I'll admit I'm a bit sceptical that chain bar oil and way oil are precisely the same. I would expect the bar oil to have a lot more tackifiers in them as the usage scenarios are a lot different. Having said that, maybe they are the same or make an excellent alternative, but I'd really like to see something from an oil manufacturer saying so in as many words personally.

Pete

Opa
06-25-2010, 11:44 PM
BIIGG difference between bar and chain oil and way oil. It can be anything, since it's a one shot lube and just has to keep the bar cool and carry away grit and chips. Way oil will normally be an ISO 46 or 68 and contain a slip/stick additive to help prevent the tool from lifting as it changes direction as on a shaper. Motor oils contain detergents and other additives you don't want in your machine(s). A good quality anti-wear hydraulic oil will not contain detergents, but will have a zinc based anti-wear package. An ISO 46 or 68 works well as a general machine oil and is suitable for lathe ways. I know some guys that use a tri-purpose cutting oil in their Hardinge lathes. It's used as a cutting, hydraulic, and way oil. The smallest size I've seen from distributors for regular hydraulic oil is 5 gal. Get friendly with the people at a local machine shop and see if they'll sell you a quart or a gallon from their supplies.

PeteF
06-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Get friendly with the people at a local machine shop and see if they'll sell you a quart or a gallon from their supplies.

Ha ha, I tried that. They looked at me like I had 2 heads and said "What! Nah mate we just use ... motor oil!" :D groan