PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Bandsaw

recoilless
06-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Picked up a little band saw yesterday. Atlas/Clausing Model 4359.
Takes a 60" blade. Anybody have one of these? It was a good price and it's small enough that I can tuck it in a corner when not using it.
Also looking for owner's manual or any pertinent literature concerning this.

Thanks, Paul

ammcoman2
06-25-2010, 06:35 PM
A few years ago i picked up a Sears bandsaw that uses 60" blades. I am not sure if it is the same make, rebranded for Sears. One thing I did find out was that it works well with a 0.020" thick blade but suffers big time when I tried a 0.025" one.

Recently I have been getting them made up by KBC (10-14 Starrett Powerband M-42) and have been very pleased with the longevity.

Geoff

recoilless
06-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Geoff:

Searching the web, I've found that Atlas did make some of the Craftsman branded saws, a model 910(?). Not sure if it's the same as mine.

Do you have any pictures?

The best info I've found so far is the cover of some old catalog that shows my saw. I'm still looking, tho.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wc8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA131&lpg=PA131&dq=atlas+4359+band+saw&source=bl&ots=OSw7G2EJjs&sig=9YzwsbUa8fd_9dPyZEo7wIwGUcA&hl=en&ei=IW4lTPD2K4O0lQeT3-mGAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=atlas%204359%20band%20saw&f=false

J Tiers
06-26-2010, 12:14 AM
I have the owners manual for an Atlas 4353, and the saw, which IIRC takes a 62.5 inch blade. Very nice saw.

I have it written down as to what the blade size actually is, and need to locate that, since I need to buy a new blade or two. Incidentally, the manual does NOT GIVE blade length, despite having the unit serial number printed on it.

Anyway, I suspect your saw also is not actually a 60" blade either.

BTW, Clausing, which used to be Atlas (Atlas bought Clausing and took the name and product line over), does not list anything about the saws, they really only have info on the lathes.

ammcoman2
06-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Here are some photos of the Sears Bandsaw I have. It is very similar to the one you linked to the Pop Mech article but with a different stand

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/ammcoman2/P6260002.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g189/ammcoman2/P6260003.jpg

I had to rebuild the gearbox with new bushings and shafts. I added a muffin fan as can be seen in the second photo to help keep the gearbox from being able to boil water!

Jerry, as can be seen in the second photo, the tensioner has the gearbox within 1/8" of its travel limit. And this one has a 60" blade . Perhaps they changed the design at some point.

As you say, it is compact and mine tucks under my Mill when not in use.

Geoff

ammcoman2
06-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Deleted post

recoilless
06-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Ammcoman2:

That is the saw I have only with the Atlas Clausing tag. The stand on mine is identical to yours, and not the stand shown in the link. Yours is a lot cleaner than mine, but hey, I just grabbed it out of some guy's barn in Brook, IN.

JT, I'll measure my blades. I did get two spares that were quick tied to the saw that were tagged 60" length along with thickness & tpi.

I fiddled around a little this morning with playing with the running guides/bearings. Still needs some tweaking.

ammcoman2
06-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Krylon paint after a thorough cleanup did the job.

I found grease in the gearbox which may have contributed to the wear in the bushings/shafts. I now have EP gear oil (140 weight) in there. Should be interesting to see how the bushings stand up to the EP additives.

Good luck with your find.

Geoff

J Tiers
06-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Yours is lots newer, even though the model number is similar. On mine the motor is down on the stand, which is silly, but seems to work.

Blades could be way different.

Stand is the same though.