PDA

View Full Version : homebrew one-shot oil lubrication

Elninio
06-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Has anyone ever come across someone who's documented making a one-shot oil lubrication system? It just uses a one-way valve like on lawnmowers (remember how you have to press the bubble five times to prime the engine)?

oldbikerdude37
06-25-2010, 06:09 PM
It will work fine on a mill but lathes have topslide lube spots so it not going to work as well as we wish.

most mills have that so its already done.

On some big mills there is a oiler thats activated every time you hit rapid traverse, so to oil it just run the rapid and oil it up fast, no messing around.

good idea though, dont give up.

dewat
06-25-2010, 06:57 PM
This might give you some ideas

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMilllOneShot.htm

PeteF
06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
If you have access to a British magazine called Model Engineering Workshop (nothing to do with modelling, all about the workshop) there was a recent article on fitting a one-shot lubrication system to a Myford lathe.

Pete

macona
06-25-2010, 10:29 PM
To do it anywhere close to right you are going to need a pump that will give you over 30PSI. The electric one on my lathe will put out well over 100psi. Then that is fed to the flow restrictors. Monarch Lathe in Sydney has some of the cheapest prices around for bijur restrictors. That is the one part you want to buy new. They can and will clog and they are not cleanable.

Mcgyver
06-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Monarch Lathe in Sydney has some of the cheapest prices around for bijur restrictors. That is the one part you want to buy new. They can and will clog and they are not cleanable.

the OP's interested diy - any ideas on how the restrictors work or are constructed....whats involved, ball, spring? what controls the flow rate - the size of the opening?

BobWarfield
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
The trouble with restrictors is not knowing which size is needed on a homebrew setup for each circuit to even out the flows. They do vary quite a lot. Valves are cumbersome, but they are adjustable.

You'll need check valves on the circuits too.

If you wanted to take the time to experiment, you could set things up with valves and then once you figure the correct opens for them, try to size some metering orifices to similar proportions.

Cheers,

BW

PeteF
06-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't think the site administrators will mind me mentioning another magazine (personally I subscribe to both it and HSM), however the article appeared in Model Engineering Workshop issue 161 and was revised in issue 163. They used parts from Arc Euro Trade http://arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machine-Spares/One-Shot-Lubrication-System AET sell through the internet and I'm sure would be able to ship to the US just as easily as they ship to Australia.

Edit: Apparently AET sell a complete one-shot kit for the ML7 or similar small lathe, the code is 084-025-10000 however I can't see it in their catalogue so either I have the number wrong or you'd need to contact them for more details. If buying the compete kit they may even be able to assist with an article reprint?

Elninio
06-26-2010, 01:18 AM
To do it anywhere close to right you are going to need a pump that will give you over 30PSI. The electric one on my lathe will put out well over 100psi. Then that is fed to the flow restrictors. Monarch Lathe in Sydney has some of the cheapest prices around for bijur restrictors. That is the one part you want to buy new. They can and will clog and they are not cleanable.

Can I see a picture of your lathe? Sounds like something to drool over ... or not (wouldn't want to damage it!).

macona
06-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Of course, I always like to gloat. But I have two lathes. First is the Monarch, it has a oil pump in the apron and distributes oil to the bed ways, apron gearing, half nut, feed gear, cross slide screw bearing, and cross slide ways. It uses bijur restrictors. It only pumps when you move the main handwheel.

Second is my Hercus CNC. It has oil holes in the bed at the tail stock end that line up when the machine is homed. It also has oil holes in the cross slide. I have it set so it pumps for two seconds every 4 homes.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2606/4010206475_ea20702331_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3478/4036546818_a4c6283491_b.jpg

The electric oiler is on the left.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2676/3921094485_357dc42674_b.jpg

PeteF
06-26-2010, 02:33 AM
I've seen your Compulathe on other sites and presumed you were in Australia. Do you know how the machine came to be in the US, or were some sold to educational facilities there?

macona
06-27-2010, 01:16 AM
No idea. It was owned by the State of Washington. Might have been used as a training lathe. There were a few different variations of the machine. First is like mine with an Acra control, next is a stand up version with a pneumatic closer and flood coolant and the control mounted above everything, then there was a version that had a Fanuc control on it. I have also seen one on ebay that had some other control attached to a PC and rebranded.

Great little machine. I have videos on youtube. Still have not used it for anything though.

And then someone up and gives me a Sherline cnc lathe last week. Running out of room!

PeteF
06-27-2010, 01:34 AM
Yes I saw your videos on youtube previously, and some of your rebuild efforts too. Nice job btw. I recognised the background when you put up a new image.

Pete