PDA

View Full Version : windows 7 home premium 64 bit

leesr
06-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Howdy Everyone

Just wanted to post some use full information.
Purchased a reasonable computer here back about two weeks.
came installed with Windows 7, great , 64 bit version.

well guess what some of my old programs would not load, no less run, because of being DOS base 16 Bit programs.

Well here where my options.
uninstall windows 7 & install windows XP?
or go buy new software $$$$$$$

well no wait, instead I downloaded the free Virtual PC from Microsoft.
I got the warning there may be compatibility issues with Win 7.
I said heck with it & I installed it.

it worked. I set the virtual space for win 2k , yep pulled out a copy of my old win 2 k & installed it into the virtual PC . yep it worked.

then updated the hell out of it, installed a later version of Internet Explorer" not so good" so I installed Fire Fox , works great. Install Avast Anti virus the free version. Smack Down good so far.

Installed my old Auto cad lite done, Installed some of my old Gear Programs , good to go, all runs. Now I will load some of my other good old programs as time go's

o wait I write this post by means of win 2k & fire fox.
Ya this is also good to test software with out fagging the host system
fire fox has a built in spell check works nice.

Cheers
Leesr:D

dp
06-26-2010, 01:38 AM
I've been banging the virtual machine gong for some time. There are a number of free offerings and some very affordable offerings for running Windows, OS X (Mac), and Linux virtual machines. Well worth it. In my experience, Player from VMware.com is still the best free offering, and I use their commercial products at work so know good virtualizing when I see it. I'm a Unix guy in a Windows shop and if it weren't for VMware virtualization I'd slit my throat! :)

On a related subject: Just installed a 500GB disk in my MacBook Pro laptop. Cost $69.00 for the disk, 20 minutes to install it, and this am as i was headed out the door for work, I started the copy the image of my older, smaller, slower 200GB drive to the new one. When I got home all was ready to go except I have an extra 300GB of space to grow into. This is my third disk upgrade for this laptop, having started with an 80GB disk. The new disk actually runs cooler than the previous disk which is a plus.

I love Macs! I run Win7 on my laptop, btw, in a virtual machine. XP too, and it's faster.

leesr
06-26-2010, 03:05 AM
Ya my flavor of Linux is Fedora Core 12

I will be loading it next.
I thought about XP mode in Win 7 but opted for Virtual PC
did not know VMware had a free offering. thanks for the tip.

Cheers
Leesr

Your Old Dog
06-26-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm not really good at all the computer stuff even though I started with a Commodore!

I have a new 64 bit windows 7 ASUS notebook and would like to go back to XP Pro as I am fully familiar with it. Anyone here know if I can just puke the windows 7 and load windows xp Pro on my 64 bit notebook?

I am having a difficult time crossing over to 7 from xp pro. Finally got xp figured out and bam, here we go again.

oldtiffie
06-26-2010, 06:37 AM
I am running two identical computers - both with AMD dual-core 64 bit processors. One has XP Pro and the other W7 platinum - both work fine including 32-bit software - and DOS stuff in the Windows DOS emulation mode (I use that for Marv Klotz's DOS-based software). Both have 2GB of RAM.

Works well with "Solitaire" too.

rockrat
06-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Support for W2K wil be ending in July of this year. While this does not mean that you cant still run W2K or load it to a machine it does mean that Micro$oft may not support any updates. This is my problem.

I dont mind that I am working on an old os but I do wonder if there is a way to have all of the updates to the time of W2K's end of support date handy. Just in case I need to load it on an old box and have it running somewhere that I need a spare number cruncher.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I guess I could search Micro$oft's web site for downloads and save them to cd/dvd. I wish they would just send me one so that I can continue to be lazy. :)

They are certainly finding ways to force consumers to buy new software. Funny, there was once a time that you wanted to make your product last forever. Now you only want it to be good enough to get by on.

rock~

BillDaCatt
06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Why not just install XP mode? It's free with Windows 7 and works great.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
Then you can run both Win7 and XP without having to dual boot.

This is the latest version of Virtual PC and does not have the compatibility issue that Leesr ran into. Sorry Vista users, XP mode is only for Windows 7. But you can still install Virtual PC and run XP or 2000 as a virtual machine like the OP did.

lost_cause
06-26-2010, 08:55 AM
with any branded pc, the only thing i might worry about when trying to downgrade to an older operating system such as xp would be driver compatibility. xp has always been so popular even through the life of vista that there are specific xp drivers for most all major hardware devices. the only thing i'd worry about is a special made, or maybe integrated device that wouldn't have a specific xp driver available. in that case, you can always buy the upgrade from home premium to professional. it's about $75, and should allow you the ability to run anything that xp would have run (i could be wrong though)

kendall
06-26-2010, 10:11 AM
I've been a fan of virtual machines for a long while now.

My preferred method for running multi boot, is to install a second or third hard drive, then install the needed OSs on the drives.

Most (I'd be willing to say all) modern computers give you the option at boot to select the boot device by hitting a key, so just select the OS you need then.

It works great in that normally the data files on the drive can be accessed from whatever OS you are currently in, so selective backups, or sharing a file is real easy.

Not sure about virtual PC, but with VMplayer, you can mount an external drive, so if you're in w764, you have full access to your other drives/programs/OSs through it.

Unless they've changed it since I tried it last, VPC is limited to a 32 bit OS, vmplayer will run 64bit.

Another trick for real easy backups is to use each OS to back up the other(s) that way, as long as you can boot to one drive, you can restore the others.

Ken.

leesr
06-26-2010, 12:43 PM
what is good about these programs is you can install an other OS to test it.
or application you are not sure of.
thus leaving your original OS intact.

I too like to build my own computers but this time I got lazy
my last computer I Installed had pull out drawers (removable hard drives) that way I could install any OS for testing or backups, or virus removal.

Cheers
Leesr