PDA

View Full Version : Haimer 3-D Sensor

Tyro 001
06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
I just received my Haimer 3-D Sensor. At just under 2lbs., it's a real work of art. Once you get it zeroed in, it's pretty easy to use. I find it a lot easier than my Starrett edge finder; although some of you with years of experiance may do just as well with the Starrett type (sorry I don't have the Starrett part number handy). It was a bit pricey, somewhere around $340.00 with shipping, but since I use the money I save by not suscribing to cable tv to buy tools, I don't feel too bad about blowing the dough on it. I'll send pics. when I get a computer that can handle photo shop, etc. Remember, it's tools or other stuff; guess which wins.

Black_Moons
06-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Good for you. Who needs cable. You pay a big monthly fee for 2 watchable channels and 1/3rd of your time is wasted watching commericals to make the networks even more money. And thats assuming that there is actualy anything worth watching.. there usally isent.

Tyro 001
06-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I used to watch the History Channel at a friends's house. One night we realized we'd watched an hour of show and had seed less than 15 minutes of content. I seems nowdays, most of what History C. broadcasts is recycled from previous shows.

MickeyD
06-26-2010, 02:29 PM
My 3D Taster is my most often used indicator, often a dozen times a day when I am doing short run work. I need to order another one so that I don't have to move the one between machines all the time. Congrats, I hope that you find it as useful as I do.

MuellerNick
06-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm using my Haimer in the CNC lathe to determine the tool offsets.
Haimer in the chuck and then you can adjust tool height, X and Z offsets.
I once got that stupid idea that showed to work better than expected. Offsets are accurate to 0.01 mm.

Nick

lazlo
06-26-2010, 04:33 PM
My 3D Taster is my most often used indicator, often a dozen times a day when I am doing short run work. I need to order another one so that I don't have to move the one between machines all the time.

Mike, those three I found for $150 were a once in a lifetime deal. You'll have to pay full retail price for the next one :p

It was a bit pricey, somewhere around $340.00 with shipping

Isn't that the price for the bare unit? I thought you have to buy the tips separately for ~ $50?

MuellerNick
06-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I thought you have to buy the tips separately for ~ $50?

The first tip should be included. ;)

Nick

lazlo
06-26-2010, 06:34 PM
The first tip should be included. ;)

I know, but I'm pretty sure it's not Nick :)

Your Old Dog
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
You talking about one of these? I just did a google search and copied the url of the pic. You don't need no stinking badges or computers to do that :D

http://eland.org.uk/deckel/3dtaster1.jpg

MikeHenry
06-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Isn't that the price for the bare unit? I thought you have to buy the tips separately for ~ $50?

A new Haimer 3D Sensor comes with 1 short tip included in the package and I think that the list price is $350, not including shipping.

Mike

MuellerNick
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I know, but I'm pretty sure it's not Nick

Did the seller find a way to cut the price?
Mine came with a tip and I would be wondering a lot if the tip isn't factory installed. Quite useless!

Nick

uncle pete
06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have a link to a dealer for these? North America prefered.

Pete

.RC.
06-27-2010, 05:35 PM
So what do these items test for?? I see they are a taster so I suspect they must be used for testing for poisons in food, like the old food testers of years gone by..

John Stevenson
06-27-2010, 05:47 PM
So what do these items test for?? I see they are a taster so I suspect they must be used for testing for poisons in food, like the old food testers of years gone by..

poisoned microns.............

MuellerNick
06-27-2010, 06:12 PM
poisoned microns.............

Naaa, Bridgeports' coolant sumps.

Nick

Sleazey
06-27-2010, 07:06 PM
TAC Rockford sells several Haimer products. I bought mine from them.

Their online page for gauges is:
http://www.tacrockford.com/accessories/setup/

Their home page is:
http://www.tacrockford.com/

EDIT: I forgot to mention, they will sell to consumers using credit cards.

uncle pete
06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Joe,
Hey thanks for that, Didn't know you had one. Will probably email them tommorrow.

Pete

Tyro 001
06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
I got mine at Single Source Technologies in Auburn Hills (?) MI. They are not set up to deal with consumers. They deal with established businesses only. They don't make a super big deal about it though. If you are willing to establish an account with them, which includes a credit check, they will sell you one. I found them to be courteous and easy to get along with, although it was a little off-putting to me to have to undergo a credit check in order to make a credit card purchase from them.

loose nut
06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
That's where I got mine from too, setting up an account is not much of a hassle and only took a day. $318.00 CND plus CND tax, A nice discount of off the list price and they said if I had further business with them I would get bigger discounts, they billed me through their Canadian office. Good people to deal with.

uncle pete
06-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Got an email from TACRockford this morning, At least for the digital models the tip is not included. TAC does not require setting up an account. Overall a real good company to deal with so far. Thanks Joe.

Pete

Boucher
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
You guys are a bad influence.

Would you talk about how good a brew tastes in front of an Alcoholic?

MuellerNick
06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Would you talk about how good a brew tastes in front of an Alcoholic?

I don't talk to myself!

(But I drink alone)
Nick

uncle pete
06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
LOL,I thought forums like these were a support group for tool-a-haulics, There is no cure so enjoy the ride. You start out with "Ya know a lathe would be cool to have" Next thing,Then your buying a mill, Shaper or whatever. The addiction progresses till your buying stuff like these Haimers. But hey, "I can stop anytime I want to."

Pete

sconisbee
06-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm using my Haimer in the CNC lathe to determine the tool offsets.

Ahh. I've been having that thought lately then thought I was nuts and it wouldn't work, glad to hear I was wrong, guess thats another toy on the shopping list. 0.01 is about as accurate as i ever need for offsets and the like

MuellerNick
06-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Ahh. I've been having that thought lately then thought I was nuts and it wouldn't work, ...

It's not perfect. I too thought it's nuts, but I already had a Haimer. So why not try?
There are a few problems:
You always need the same chuck, so your stickout in Z is the same.
Adjusting tool height proofed to be not very reliable. Chip breakers of inserts have odd shapes and it is hard to find exactly the right spot. But works perfect without chipbreakers and positive or zero rake (?).
You have to find the center of the ball (a cube would be way better).
So here is my procedure:
Eyeball X to be on CL, advance Z so that the dial is moving a bit. Now readjust X to get a maximum reading. More Z until you get to zero on the Haimer -> Face detected.
Now retract in X+ until the ball jumps out (-> should be quite at the maximum). A bit X- and finetune Z to get the maximum. Then X- until zero on the dial. -> diameter is zero.

Maybe I wouldn't buy one just for that purpose. But if you have one "laying around". :cool:

I'm building an optical toolsetter right now with a video camera (magnification 300 ). Might work tomorrow ...
With it, I can easily see moves of 1Ám with it, but I have problems with the repeatability of my camera fixture.

Nick