PDA

View Full Version : Mild tool gloat, my 15th grinder

Doc Nickel
06-26-2010, 11:09 PM
3/4HP 8" Baldor bench grinder in slightly rusty but otherwise fine condition. Runs great, quiet bearings, no cracks or damage to either wheel guard.

http://docsmachine.com/machineshop/8inbaldor.jpg

Local garage sale, $35.

It's old enough the previous owner stamped- deeply and clearly- his full name and Social Security Number in the top of the motor shell, presumably so it could be more easily recovered in the event it was stolen. :D

Doc.

Michael Edwards
06-27-2010, 12:16 AM
15 grinders, you might have a problem. Prolly a support group for that. ;)

ME

Doc Nickel
06-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Nah, it's a symptom of Old Iron Disease, and we all know there's no cure for that. :)

While I didn't "need" this grinder, it was too good a price not to buy, and it bridges the gap between the little 6" grinders and the big 12" nicely. :D

Doc.

JoeFin
06-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Some folks don't realize how important a role grinders play in producing a finished product. I've seen small production shops - 2 CNC Mills, 1 Lathe, 2 drill presses, and 8 grinders

Weston Bye
06-27-2010, 07:51 AM
15 grinders? Fifteen grinders? Where do you mount them? Do you have enough bench space? Pedestals? Tree stumps in the woods?

I suppose that you have some equipped with various grades and colors of wheels, I see the most recent one has a wire wheel, others may have cloth buffs, but fifteen?

My sympathy and envy.

Peter.
06-27-2010, 07:55 AM
I feel very inadequate now as I only have three :(

John Stevenson
06-27-2010, 07:59 AM
They are like clamps you can never have enough,
Last place I worked at we had a small grinding shop for hand touching up cutters.
Most of these were just powered spindles driven by under bench motors.
All were double ended, non had rests or guards and the wheels were shaped for a particular job and you walked from one spindle to another until you had finished the tool in question.

I have 5 and after recently discovering the scotchbrite deburring wheels I now need a 6th ;)

Doc Nickel
06-27-2010, 08:35 AM
I suppose that you have some equipped with various grades and colors of wheels, I see the most recent one has a wire wheel, others may have cloth buffs, but fifteen?

-Well, two are surface grinders, and two are valve grinders- one of which has been converted over to a saw and sorta-tool sharpener. Three, including this new one, are general "bench" grinders- the two previous ones are on opposite ends of the shop simply for convenience.

One is a Baldor 500 carbide grinder with a green and a diamond wheel, one's a Lisle 600 drill grinder, and a third is the big 3-phase Queen City 12" pedestal grinder which I only light up for heavy stock removal.

Then there's the cheap Grizzly planer knife grinder, an old Belsales saw sharpener that is basically just used for lathe tools at the moment (though I have plans) and another is a cheap old Craftsman that just has wire wheels on it. These latter three are stacked or stashed most of the time, and only brought out for occasional use.

Last, there's a cheap $35 Ryobi bolted to the TIG welder and reserved just for sharpening tungstens.

None of that counts the dozen-plus air or electric hand grinders, the toolpost grinders, air sanders, the belt sander, or what have you. :D

Doc.

Kenwc
06-27-2010, 08:48 AM
What...no group pic of the entire grinder family?

You can't have enough grinders.

Weston Bye
06-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Ah, clairification! All is explained.

And perhaps this pot is calling the kettle black.

Yesterday, I spent some time welding and grinding on a motorcycle rear fork, adding gussets to a previously ill-conceived pair of fender struts. In the process I used two 4" angle grinders, equipped with different wheels, and two Dremel tools, also equipped with different stones. My two bench grinders, gem lapping wheel and flexible shaft grinder didn't get to participate in in the fun.

Doc Nickel
06-27-2010, 06:28 PM
What...no group pic of the entire grinder family?

-That would be difficult, considering how widely spread out they are.

You can't have enough grinders.

-Boy howdy. I almost skipped the carbide grinder, as I figured I rarely used cemented carbide tools anymore. But just the diamond wheel has proven it's worth a half-dozen times now- I'll reshape an insert just like I used to reshape the tip of an HSS bit.

The two valve grinders were kind of an overindulgence I could have done without, but hey, sometimes the Old Iron thing bites hard. :D

The Ryobi was cheap enough I could mount and use it exclusively for the TIG tungstens, and the Belsales thing was another one of those garage-sale things that was too cheap to pass up. (It's a piss-poor saw sharpener, but the actual "bench grinder" part is pretty decent, being a clone of the old 50's and 60's 1HP Craftsmans.)

Doc.

John Stevenson
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
-Boy howdy. I almost skipped the carbide grinder, as I figured I rarely used cemented carbide tools anymore. But just the diamond wheel has proven it's worth a half-dozen times now- I'll reshape an insert just like I used to reshape the tip of an HSS bit.

Doc.

Same here, I was given a shoe box full of old inserts from a company years ago, all worn, or part worn, a very few are new, fell in the box during changing ? and some have one new edge still on.

Those pointy ones [ can't remember the number ] probably 30 degree tips make good single point screw cutting inserts and circlip grooving inserts, with a couple of minutes work on a diamond wheel.

I do a fair bit of laser cut blanks and the first cut to get under the skin is hard on tools, I always uses a reground tip to rough out and aswat to a new / good tip for finishing

macona
06-27-2010, 07:43 PM
It's old enough the previous owner stamped- deeply and clearly- his full name and Social Security Number in the top of the motor shell, presumably so it could be more easily recovered in the event it was stolen. :D

Doc.

Funny thing is the police cant and never could look up a social security number. It could be used to show ownership if it was found if it showed up someplace though. Best is to use a driver license number.

Your Old Dog
06-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Well the more valuable take might have been his name and ssn! Does he look well to do? Ask him for his birthday and buy yourself some new grinders..... on his credit !

Doc Nickel
06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Funny thing is the police cant and never could look up a social security number. It could be used to show ownership if it was found if it showed up someplace though.

-I think that was the idea. It wasn't a number to be looked up, it was a unique number to go along with the name engraved on the item.

The main thing was to have a name engraved on it- if John Smith reported an RCA TV stolen, and an RCA TV with the name John Smith engraved on it showed up at the local pawn shop, it helped get the property back to it's rightful owner.

But since a decent-sized city might have a dozen John Smiths (or Bob Whites or Jane Does, etc.) it was suggested you add a unique number along with the name.

But again, that was before the SSN became the all-powerful electronic identifier it's become today.

Doc.

Too_Many_Tools
06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
3/4HP 8" Baldor bench grinder in slightly rusty but otherwise fine condition. Runs great, quiet bearings, no cracks or damage to either wheel guard.

http://docsmachine.com/machineshop/8inbaldor.jpg

Local garage sale, $35.

Doc.

Great find at a great price.

And keep looking...you need more grinders...my wife says so. ;<)

TMT

Doc Nickel
07-03-2010, 05:29 AM
Update: A few spare moments over the past few evenings, using the blast cabinet (the red paint was ratty and falling off by the handful) a bit of Bondo to fill in the name stampings, some good RustOleum "Industrial" rattlecans and a little careful fitting and reassembly, and she's basically good as new.

http://www.docsmachine.com/machineshop/8inbaldor-2.jpg

My total investment has shot all the way up to $60, including a new Norton 60-grit rock and some new sidecover bolts. :D

Doc.

Peter.
07-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Nice job.

Are you not going to fit new screens to the guards? Your eyeballs will fall out if you don't...

hornluv
07-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Beautiful job on the grinder Doc.

But since a decent-sized city might have a dozen John Smiths (or Bob Whites or Jane Does, etc.) it was suggested you add a unique number along with the name.

You know, I've never met an actual person named John or Jane Doe. I've met several John Smiths though. They've all had the same opinion of their parents, oddly enough.