PDA

View Full Version : a must have tool you seldom use?

wooleybooger
06-27-2010, 01:10 AM
mine was a depth micrometer from e-bay. fell in love with it . had all the right parts in all the right places. turned out to be a one-night stand. after the initial fondling,i think ive used it once in 3 yrs. a dial caliper with depth rod is faster and accurate enough for me. but she still sits,waiting for my call.

lakeside53
06-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Mine is my 7 through 12 inch Mitutoyo micrometers... Beautiful, each in their own case...

Then there's my 32 inch cast iron straight edge, but...

rklopp
06-27-2010, 02:13 AM
How about the other way around? Ever buy a tool wondering whether you'll ever use it, then find you use it a lot? That's how it is with my groove micrometer. I use it a lot when facing features to length in the lathe. Many times the back side of the feature to be measured is too close to the collet or chuck, and I cannot get the anvil of a regular micrometer or jaw of a digital or dial caliper to fit where it needs to go. The groove micrometer saves the day.

uncle pete
06-27-2010, 02:43 AM
Do politicians count as tools? I think of them as tools. If so, Then I have many useless and expensive tools that are never or barely used and don't work on the rare instance one is needed.

Pete

KiddZimaHater
06-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Sine bar, Sine vise, Taper attachment, and Radius Turner come to mind.
Use them once or twice, and then they collect dust. :(

dp
06-27-2010, 03:14 AM
I don't use my tapping head even monthly, but I sure do like having it around for those times I do.

Walter
06-27-2010, 03:28 AM
That would probably be my 7-12 inch interchangeable B&S Mic. I think I've used it twice since I got it (It's older than I am, without a doubt). It's served me well when I needed it and I sure it served it's previous owner well before me. Almost scares me to bring her outta the box, seems so big and moderately heavy =)

Besides that I'd have to say the leather punch in my misc drawer, it's for adding holes to my belt. Sadly it's seen more use!

RobbieKnobbie
06-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Sine bar, Sine vise, Taper attachment, and Radius Turner come to mind.
Use them once or twice, and then they collect dust. :(

That's funny... I made a ball turner a few months ago and I've wound up using it practically every time I go in the shop!

As for seldom used tools, Since I got a traditional tap wrench in a box-o-stuff at an auction earlier this year, I haven't even touched my T handle type tap wrenches. I thought it would be awkward and difficult, but turns out the thing is nicely balanced and a pleasure to use. Best thing since shapeshifting motorcycles!

oldtiffie
06-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Thread heading: a must have tool you seldom use?

Answer: Penis?

Peter N
06-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Thread heading: a must have tool you seldom use?

Answer: Penis?

You must have an odd one then Tiffie.

As Peter O'Toole said when caught using the wrong rest-room and told it was 'Just for Ladies', he replied "So is this Madam, but occasionally I have to pass a bit of water through it".

BWS
06-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Not nearly as entertaining as above but our hydraulic press fits the op here.Gets used a few times a month.BW

Your Old Dog
06-27-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm only going to play one round of this game just in case the wife ever checks!

For me it would have to be digital tachometer. What the hell difference does it make what speed a machine is running at if you don't really know what it should be running at? :D I did press it into service on my 2x72 belt grinder build to find my true sfpm.

I did buy a Mitutoyo analogue height gage in a nice wooked case off of ebay. I still live in the hope of using it for something someday so it won't turn up again in a thread like this.

The tool I get the most use out of is the cheap chinese digital calipers modified as per John Stevensons suggestion for marking off. Extremely handy for me in layout work. (This is where John cut down one of the jaws about 1/8th inches shorter then the other and put a sharp chisel point to use it for marking up. It is more easily slid along the side of your stock and the sharp edge does the scoring thru the prussian blue or magic marker.)

lakeside53
06-27-2010, 12:03 PM
This thread is depressing. Apart from Tiffe, you guys keep mentioning tools that I have, but were forgotten.. Damn... but one day I'll use them, even my compound sine magnetic vice!

saltmine
06-27-2010, 12:23 PM
My electric dog polisher (and I don't even own a dog)

A fur lined toilet.

Politicians....expensive, seldom of any use, unless you need one, and then they either don't work or they work exactly backward of what you wanted them to do.

Solar powered flashlight.

I have a 53lb Chinese anvil, but haven't used it because the instructions recommend you sharpen it before use.

Liger Zero
06-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Solar powered flashlight.

I have one. Leave it on the window-sill and it charges up and it's ready to go when I need it (often).

Also have one of those hand-cranked flashlights.

...and one of those shake-it-to-charge-it flashlights.

All get used daily, depends where I am in the shop.

saltmine
06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
I had an idea of a "solar powered flashlight" years ago, so, I went out and bought a generic flashlight, and a "hobby" solar cell.

After dumping the batteries out, I soldered the solar cell to the switch and went outside.

Sure enough, when I flipped the switch, the bulb lit up...no batteries, just solar power.

Believe it or not, some investment banker heard of my invention and bought the prototype for $500, provided I signed away the rights to manufacture it.
And one wonders why Wall street is so screwed up....

I used to have one of those "shaker" flashlights. The idea would work great if you had a bad case of Alzheimer's disease or the DT's. Of course, I didn't shake it enough, the battery went dead, and I left it on the front seat of a brand new prototype Ford diesel pickup out at the Ford Proving Grounds...(which is now the "Chrysler Proving Grounds")

Herm Williams
06-27-2010, 01:24 PM
taper attachment on lathe, used one time in ten years. but it is there if I need it.
re

Mcgyver
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Having the basics covered, my cravings have taken me to new and wonderful places, special tools capable of hitherto unknown minuscule duty cycles; precision bench centres, master height gauge, radius/angle dresser, radius end mill grinding fixture .....when will it stop?

maybe now. the lines have crossed on the graph. its like perpetual motion. I've got enough stuff and the brain is aged to the point where opening drawers is like Christmas, always finding goodies i didn't know i owned. Now the monkey is satisfied by opening a drawer i haven't been into a awhile

darryl
06-27-2010, 02:28 PM
I've jumped straight from uncle petes post to this reply- thanks Pete for a good laugh. Yes, I too think of politicians, etc, as tools, and useless for the most part. That was good-

Ok, the least used tool, but important at the time- the precision protractor. I doubt I've used it more than maybe three times in the last ten years. The most used tool, which I didn't realize would become so at the time I was building it- the 12 inch drum sander. There may be a few days at a time that I don't use it (excluding times when I'm away from home) but I bet it gets turned on at least 1500 times a year on average, and it's more than ten years old now-

uncle pete
06-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Darryl,
Not to get this thread off topic or to hijack it. When John Chretien was prime minister of Canada any time my dog heard his voice on t.v. He'd run for his bed cause he knew I was going to start yelling at the t.v. Smartest and best dog I ever had.

Back to on topic, A cold chisel, I built one in school about 40 yrs. ago and I really can't think of a time when I've used it.

Pete

Your Old Dog
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
taper attachment on lathe, used one time in ten years. but it is there if I need it.
re

Well that makes me feel better! I'm about 3/4ths done with mine :D

I like the idea of the shaker flashlight but no way in hell the guys I know would ever let me live it down if they saw me using it. I couldn't subject myself to the ridicule :D

Deja Vu
06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Well that makes me feel better! I'm about 3/4ths done with mine :D

I like the idea of the shaker flashlight but no way in hell the guys I know would ever let me live it down if they saw me using it. I couldn't subject myself to the ridicule :D

I had to have one of those "crank" type flashlights. So far, the only time i've used the 5 led compact unit brought humorous outbursts from my wife when i grabbed for it during TV commercials and began whirring the battery back up to full illumination power... and then some to build up duration so I could play with it throughout the length of the commercial.

PixMan
06-27-2010, 09:36 PM
What a great question. I have a lot of answers.

Bought a Brown & Sharpe 18" vernier scale height gauge about a year ago, the surface plate just got taken out of the crate after being in the shop for at least 5 years. I hope to introduce the B&S height gauge to the surface plate soon. The Starrett No.258 Digi-Chek that was a gift will probably get as much use as the B&S, but it's 10" riser block, about 1/2 that.

There are two Snow tapping heads that were bought 3 years ago, never been used. When we need them, they will be indispensable.

The tools I find most infrequently used that actually get used only occasionally but are truly indispensable are the Starrett No.449 blade-type depth mics, mics over 3" (we go up to 12"), a Starrett No.359 bevel protractor, Mitutoyo blade mics to 3", planer gauge, Starrett adjustable parallels (A thru F, 2 of each), and a nice Starret No.753 digital depth gauge.

Deja Vu
06-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Here's the tool set I just had to have back in 1983. They are "RAMELSON". I did some itaglio back then but, 'seldom used' are the key words shortly after purchase.
I took great care of them to keep them ready for when I need them...someday.
Back then they were 4 1/2" total length with 2" tool length.
http://www.ramelson.net/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=26&cat=117+Palm+Series

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/78/43/42124378/photos/miniature-work/Carving%20tools.JPG

Bmyers
06-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Mitutoyo 190-101 caliper. I had to have it never used it.

http://www.kepler-eng.com/images/mitutoyo190.jpg

Deja Vu
06-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Here's another one I acquired in the early 80's. i fired it up a couple times and made aluminum ingots, but had intentions to do more. I did manage to mount it on a spare shop vacuum stand.
http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/78/43/42124378/photos/miniature-work/Foundry.JPG

Abner
06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
A "Rolling ruler" supposedly great for making parallel lines. Haven't seen it for years, I secretly hope it went to good will.

Shrink to fit jeans - Between hot water laundry, beer, and ice cream I haven't owned a pair in years.

Mcgyver
06-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Mitutoyo 190-101 caliper. I had to have it never used it.

way to post the pic, now i have to have one too!

jcon
06-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Mine was an Acme Screw Thread Tool Gage, bought when I was going to A.I.T in Chicago, in 1954. I missed a couple of meals to pay fore it. I have used it once in 56 years

jcon

oldtiffie
06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
A "Rolling ruler" supposedly great for making parallel lines. Haven't seen it for years, I secretly hope it went to good will.

Shrink to fit jeans - Between hot water laundry, beer, and ice cream I haven't owned a pair in years.

A great aid for sketching on say A4 paper on any flat surface. Couple with a good scale rule, radius and circle templates, a good protractor etc. and its as near to a small drawing board as you will get - or need - on the desk or in the shop:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Sketches/Roller_Rule1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Sketches/Roller_Rule2.jpg