PDA

View Full Version : A very talented machinist and gunsmith

JCHannum
06-27-2010, 08:39 AM
For your enjoyment on a Sunday morning and as a counterpoint to the Panther motorcycle foolishness, someone who actually creates something in he solid.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/3761057511/p/1

Bailey is an acomplished gunsmith, in addition to the beautiful little doubles, which are available for sale, he is currently developing a new Farquarson action.

Mike Hunter
06-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Two words WOW, and Impressive.

Very talented guy

Thanks for posting

V/R

Mike

Mcgyver
06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
wow, thanks Jim, what a craftsman

lazlo
06-27-2010, 10:21 AM
The pictures of forging the Damascus billet are neat (the process I was describing on the blacksmithing thread), but he cut the receiver with Wire EDM and did most of the work, including the stock, on his Tormach.

"The billet is at 2560 layers. This sounds like a lot, but consider the average 1/4" thick knife blade in damascus has a nicely balanced pattern ( not too course, not too fine) at 340 layers. This action blank in the rough measures 1.8", equal to just over 7 blade thickness, for an average layer count of 350 per blade thickness. 2560 layers should look perfect."

Yowsa! That's a lot of work!

Is pattern-welded steel safe for a receiver? I'm guessing he chose .22 for that reason? Does anymore make larger caliber receivers in pattern welded steel?

Tony Ennis
06-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Holy smokes. That's one beautiful rifle.

38_Cal
06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Here's a link to his single shot build: http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1264088434/0#0 Lots of talent to this fellow!

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

Hal
06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
What a great thread. Bailey sure makes it look easy.
It never fails to amaze me the talent some people have.

Hal

wierdscience
06-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Fantastic work!

ptjw7uk
06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Lazlo, He qualified the use of Damascus steel in his single shot gun

'It's all about liability. The damascus should perform as well as the steel it is forged from. However, there is no way to know for sure there isn't some internal flaw that could cause a problem. It's not so much the chamber pressure (the barrel handles the majority of that) as it is all of the other forces put on the rifle action. Mainly the recoil and flexing associated with it.

All that being said, I trust my damascus to perform. A good smith knows when a questionable weld is made. I wouldn't hesitate to build a damascus action for an appropriate round, I just won't risk it with larger chamberings.

OK, here are a few photos. As I said before, I made a slight change to the underlever shape and added the latch. The extractor and cam require the two screws on the side of the action. I must say I am thrilled with it. Makes me feel nostaligic....only cure for that is one of these in .303 for my own use'

So I think the answer is that with Damascus you just never know how good it is till it blows up in your face!

peter

JCHannum
06-27-2010, 01:28 PM
So I think the answer is that with Damascus you just never know how good it is till it blows up in your face!

peter

The massive standing breech of a break open double will handle a lot of pressure. I would not be concerned with the 22 Hornet chambering in a suitable action made up by an experienced smith. The damascus was a special order, he normally makes the doubles from the solid.

JCHannum
06-27-2010, 01:55 PM
The pictures of forging the Damascus billet are neat (the process I was describing on the blacksmithing thread), but he cut the receiver with Wire EDM and did most of the work, including the stock, on his Tormach.

While he roughed out the action and stock on CNC machines, there is still an enormous amount of work remaining in hand fitting and finishing a gun of this quality. Not to mention that he did the checkering and engraving by hand as well as all design work.

All that and he did not use a single micron.

Deja Vu
06-27-2010, 02:28 PM
The pictures of forging the Damascus billet are neat (the process I was describing on the blacksmithing thread), but he cut the receiver with Wire EDM and did most of the work, including the stock, on his Tormach
I'm simply amazed!
Regardless of what tools he used to make what parts, This is an achievement I've often(but only) dreamed of accomplishing. To have professionalized his craft while gathering all required tools to complete projects, without reverting to stone age tooling, sustains Bailey's recognition as one who does more than very good.

I think it'd be an added bonus to be in a position to have access to so many tools.

lazlo
06-27-2010, 07:18 PM
All that and he did not use a single micron.

Very true -- that site seems like a Bullsh!t-Free Zone :)

dexter
06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Truly one of the most impressive threads I have ever read. I can only dream of having his talent.

airsmith282
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
now that guy is a true machinest to do all that totaly breathless wow awesome ,,,

Ken_Shea
06-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Here's a link to his single shot build: http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1264088434/0#0 Lots of talent to this fellow!

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

Single shots, I love them.

The guy is a marvel, no doubt about that, and he just seems to take it all in stride.

I have no idea how he can make and sell the single shot for $1500.

That is a real bargain IMO.

arcs_n_sparks
06-27-2010, 09:49 PM

Probably because, like some artisans, he is not in it for the money? Truly impressive work...

Dan Dubeau
06-27-2010, 10:20 PM

The guy is a marvel, no doubt about that, and he just seems to take it all in stride.

same thought went through my mind.

From forging to fourth axis he sounds like a pretty well round guy. Very nice to see him sharing his work.

between this and the recent post of the knifemaker showing a start to finish build damascus knife, I'm really starting to like the look of it.

dp
06-27-2010, 10:24 PM
That was a fun read. Same with the knife maker that cuemaker posted. Nice stuff.

JCHannum
06-28-2010, 08:02 AM

$1500 is the target price of the action only, in the white. This is still a bargain compared to other actions.

Bailey does not plan on making completed rifles on the Farq action, only the doubles are offered as finished guns. At a starting price of around $5000, these are still a very attractive price. That is a function of the CNC equipment. Each gun is still a one off.

Ken_Shea
06-28-2010, 08:17 AM
$1500 is the target price of the action only, in the white. This is still a bargain compared to other actions.

Bailey does not plan on making completed rifles on the Farq action, only the doubles are offered as finished guns. At a starting price of around $5000, these are still a very attractive price. That is a function of the CNC equipment. Each gun is still a one off.

AH, that is more in-line to what I would expect.