PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy small insert

Boot
06-27-2010, 10:27 AM
I need to buy small insert for the Dollar face mill. Where can I find the same on Evan used in his? MSC wants anywhere from $5 to $15 for them. Maybe the Jap ones are much cheaper? The ones I have left over are square or don't have the hole for a screw.
Boot

lakeside53
06-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Enco has TP*** Chinese imports for $1-2 , but they do not last. "Japanese" are very high quality and not cheap.

You don't have to get the exact part number Evan used - there are dozens that will fit the same mount. I get my inserts (many types) on ebay for $1-7, and only buy quality brands in new packages. Be prepared to research the configuration and coatings to make sense of what you are buying.

Circlip
06-27-2010, 02:19 PM
If you're using it as a fly cutter it doesn't matter what the shape is as long as the cutting point is the lowest part.

Use these :- http://carbidedepot.com/ to identify the serial numbers of Fleebay "Finds"

Regards Ian

Boot
06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Thank you fellows . I found a bunch of stuff on ebay. I can buy a new R-8 holder with 1" end mill on it for around $17 . I'm not sure I want to proceed to making a 1 insert fly cutter , I don't think it would be profitable. Better off buying completed 1" end/facemill. I never thought to look on ebay for something like that.
Thanks again , Boot