X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brian Rupnow
    • Mar 2008

I'm rich!!!---I'm rich!!!

Well, maybe not that rich----but I just sold my old Sears Craftsman lawn tractor for $150.00. I bought it 15 years ago, and it has mowed my lawn faithfully for many summers. For a few years it even ploughed my driveway---I had the 48" blade, the chains, and the wheelweights. I only found out after buying all the snow attachements that it was only good for ploughing downhill. Uphill or more than 12 foot on the level, and it just sat there and bounced up and down. It has served me faithfully though, cutting grass as it was intended for. This spring I took an assesment of it---If it sat unused for more than 10 days, I had to charge the battery before it would start. Three years ago, the brake pad wore completely out---I discovered this by driving waist deep into the duck pond.-Nothing was hurt except my feelings, and I got a chain on it and pulled it out with my Ranger pickup before anyone seen what I had done. The front of the mower deck was rotted to the point that I briefly considered welding a steel flatbar reinforcement to the front of it to keep it from being bent back by thick grass untill the tips of the blades clattered against it---causing my heart to skip a beat each time that happened. The final straw was that two weeks ago the bushing at the end of the steering column wore out to the point where the pinion and sector gear would jump over each other instead of meshing. With heavy heart, I knew it was time to buy another new tractor from Sears. This morning I advertised the old tractor on the local "Buy and Sell" internet forum, and almost immediately got a phone call from someone wanting it. I warned him of all its flaws and bad habits, but told him it would still start, run, and cut grass. (I'd rather tell the truth up front and not sell it at all than deal with the wrath of somebody who figured I had "suckered" him after the fact.) So, its gone. However, elation is short lived. As I was typing this, the wife came in and announced she was going grocery shopping, and took all the money. Ah well, wealth is such a fleeting thing----and I bet I'm the only guy in town who will be eating this week courtesy of a 15 year old lawn tractor!!!---Brian
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
  • tyrone shewlaces
    • Dec 2006

For future reference:

If you had dragged a mini-baler behind it all these years, you could have fed a small cow or goat or something and been eating for the past 10 years courtesy of ye old mower.

Congrats.
    I'll be eating microwave burritos for dinner tonight, hehe.

Comment

• jugs
      • Aug 2009

So, its gone. However, elation is short lived. As I was typing this, the wife came in and announced she was going grocery shopping, and took all the money. Ah well, wealth is such a fleeting thing----and I bet I'm the only guy in town who will be eating this week courtesy of a 15 year old lawn tractor!!!---Brian

You should have kept the tractor & sold the wife, then you would sill have the money

john
      John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

• Liger Zero
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jugs
        You should have kept the tractor & sold the wife, then you would sill have the money

john

Well half anyway, less divorce fees and alimony.

...so really he came out ahead doing it the way he did.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

• JanvanSaane
          • Dec 2009

I'm rich too

I just got an email from a millionaire in Zambabwe, If I pay the transfer fees and help him get the money here he says he will split it with me. Jan

Comment

• gmatov
            • Feb 2006

Mine own Sears GARDEN tractor, as differentiated from the YARD tractors is going strong, after I bought a replacement engine off Craig's List.

Just got the engine installed and fired 'er up and cut 2 foot high grass, nary a burp from the engine. Also got electric clutch blade engagement with this engine, had to figure how to make it work.

Machine is 26 years old, and I found after I got the "new" engine home it was made the same year, 1984, older by a few months, actually.

I wouldn't trade this sumbitch for a Kubota. 18 horse.

Cheers,

George

Comment

Working...
            X