PDA

View Full Version : Sony Memory Stick (Old School) is it compatable with Memory Stick (new school)?

Liger Zero
06-27-2010, 10:33 PM
I rescued a Sony Cybershot DSC-P30 digital camera from the trash. For a 1.3mpx camera it takes some NICE pictures. This is going to be my disposable workshop cam from now on.

Problem is the QUANTITY of pictures I can take.

Camera has a rather laughable 4mb Memory Stick. That translates to roughly six pictures with all the quality settings maxed out.

NowSony has been less than helpful... I need a bigger Memory Stick, is the "new" Memory Stick Pro and Duo stuff compatible with this camera? I'm using the "gum stick" size stuff. I see they have adapters... which leads to the question just how much can this camera address? No point in getting a multi-gig stick if it can only talk to 256 megabytes.

macona
06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Yes, it should work. Its not like SD cards where they went to SDHC later. If you want to use a duo you will need the adapter.

John Stevenson
06-28-2010, 04:38 AM
No I have one, they are a very nice camera, Karl Zeiss lens but it won't read the pro stick.

Liger Zero
06-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Now I'm confused.

CountZero
06-28-2010, 05:15 AM
http://www.gradientlens.com/pdfs/Sony%20Memory%20Stick%20Compatibility.pdf

looks like the best you can do is a 128MBx2 "select" memorystick.

John Stevenson
06-28-2010, 05:24 AM
Sorry wrong info, mine is a DSC F55 but according to the chart it's the same operation as a P30.

Circlip
06-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Don't know why we tolerate all this crap from camera manufacturers. A few years ago I decided to upgrade from an SLR and a VHS shoulder crusher to a more "Friendly" magic digital cigarette packet.

As many will know, it takes many nights of nightmares to get a Yorkshireman to part with cash, BUT the temptation of being able to point, press and look and if neccessary delete all in camera won the day.

Thanks Fuji, almost as soon as it hit the stands the SM format was superceeded to the point that if I need a replacement card, I can buy a complete camera cheaper now.

My computer has a slot in that can read 52 different pieces of storage media, WHY.

Half a centuary ago, the Pacific basin decided the only way to beat the "Victors" was economically, made a pretty good fist of it haven't they? But, if we're daft enough to buy it and allow it to perpetuate.

Regards Ian.

Lew Hartswick
06-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Camera has a rather laughable 4mb Memory Stick. That translates to roughly six pictures with all the quality settings maxed out.
Question WHY take pictures of this sort "with all the quality settings
maxed out". ??? A couple hundred K is all that is needed for any pix
to be displayed on a monitor.
...Lew...

oldbikerdude37
06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
4 megs is tiny, 128 meg would be much better for that camera.
An 8 MP eats 4 megs in two pictures.

oldtiffie
06-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Me too Lew.

I find that I can get by with a reasonable zoom and an 800 x 600 format which is about 1/2 a Meg if my math is right.

640 x 480 is about 0.3 Meg.

Buy or get (eBay?) a few spare cards and use an adaptor to upload them to your computer.

aboard_epsilon
06-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Don't know why we tolerate all this crap from camera manufacturers. A few years ago I decided to upgrade from an SLR and a VHS shoulder crusher to a more "Friendly" magic digital cigarette packet.

As many will know, it takes many nights of nightmares to get a Yorkshireman to part with cash, BUT the temptation of being able to point, press and look and if neccessary delete all in camera won the day.

Thanks Fuji, almost as soon as it hit the stands the SM format was superceeded to the point that if I need a replacement card, I can buy a complete camera cheaper now.

My computer has a slot in that can read 52 different pieces of storage media, WHY.

Half a centuary ago, the Pacific basin decided the only way to beat the "Victors" was economically, made a pretty good fist of it haven't they? But, if we're daft enough to buy it and allow it to perpetuate.

Regards Ian.

17.99 delivered

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=6961

128 mb more than enough for 260 odd pics

BTW you can trust 7dayshp

all the best.mark

ligito
06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-info.pl?&info_id=12#m1

This says no compatibility with sticks above 128MB

dp
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
It is best to shoot at high resolution to get the large raw image. Unless you imagine all your shots are pristine right from the camera, the final product really needs to come from some post processing. Post processing a small jpg image is to work with most of your pallet missing.

Obviously not all snaps are sacred and won't need post processing but it's pretty much harmless even in those cases to start with more bits. Liger's issue aside many modern cameras will post process in the camera.

Circlip
06-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for link Mark, didn't realise I could get three cameras.

Regards Ian.

ADGO_Racing
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
You will either need an adapter and a 128 MB max Duo Card (I doubt you could find one tho), or a memory stick. I too have a Sony Camera, thsat takes a Memory Stick, I only have a 64MB card, I get about 30 pics on it.

As much as I despise Ebay, I did look out there, Memory Sticks are available up to the 128MB mark, averages about $20.00 from a reputable seller. Oh well, I guess it is a small price to pay for antique technology.:(

Liger Zero
06-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Considering how much I spent on it I can live with the memory limitation. Not going to plunk down $$$ for a specific special obsolete memory item for a "disposable" shop camera that'll be ruined by chemicals or dropped from a height soon enough anyway.

Thanks for the chart though, that was a big help.

RB211
06-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Sony can bug off with their proprietary bullcrap.
I had a client show up yesterday with his sony camera to give me some photos... Didn't have the cable WHICH by the way is ALSO proprietary... I had to send him off his way as I do not have an option of reading sony sticks...

Perhaps I should not have returned the 30$ card reader I bought originally just for this job...

macona
06-30-2010, 12:18 AM
It is best to shoot at high resolution to get the large raw image. Unless you imagine all your shots are pristine right from the camera, the final product really needs to come from some post processing. Post processing a small jpg image is to work with most of your pallet missing.

Obviously not all snaps are sacred and won't need post processing but it's pretty much harmless even in those cases to start with more bits. Liger's issue aside many modern cameras will post process in the camera.

The old sonys take forever to save in RAW. I tried on my DSC-V3 and it must take 10 seconds per photo. Pretty silly, must be the transfer rate to the card.

I only shoot RAW on my Pentax dSLR. On a 16gig card I can hold well over 900, well over 3000 in Jpeg.

dp
06-30-2010, 12:51 AM
The old sonys take forever to save in RAW. I tried on my DSC-V3 and it must take 10 seconds per photo. Pretty silly, must be the transfer rate to the card.

I only shoot RAW on my Pentax dSLR. On a 16gig card I can hold well over 900, well over 3000 in Jpeg.

My first digital was a Sony with a floppy drive for storage. At the time it was the only digital camera I could take on the road that didn't need Windows. I've never owned Windows so needed the floppy solution. Now talk about speed... Yikes! I got 4 640x480 images on a disk.

Still - the best pictures were always taken at the highest res - and that was one per disk :)

BTW, didn't mean RAW format earlier - just the highest res jpg possible. It's still a jpeg format though so still missing a lot of original info found only in true raw format.

Liger Zero
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
1) How do I set this camera to save as RAW, I want to play with this.

2) What the heck is "Magic Gate" and will a memory stick with "Magic Gate" work with this cam? I found one for $5 plus shipping for a total of $12. 128mb Memory Stick with Magic Gate Technology.

dp
06-30-2010, 09:35 PM
There's raw, which is the least compressed image the camera produces (often expressed as image size such as 1600x1200 or some such) and there is RAW which is uncompressed. There are probably as many RAW formats as there are camera manufacturers, but each one has tools that will translate their version to a common format so tools such as PhotoShop can work with them.

So check the manual of your camera and try to resolve how your digital image files are stored, and described. If you can only save by size then choose the largest size. If you can save as TIFF then that is probably as close to RAW as you can get.

Liger Zero
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
There's raw, which is the least compressed image the camera produces (often expressed as image size such as 1600x1200 or some such) and there is RAW which is uncompressed. There are probably as many RAW formats as there are camera manufacturers, but each one has tools that will translate their version to a common format so tools such as PhotoShop can work with them.

So check the manual of your camera and try to resolve how your digital image files are stored, and described. If you can only save by size then choose the largest size. If you can save as TIFF then that is probably as close to RAW as you can get.

Don't have a manual. That's why I'm asking questions here. :D

Edit: I can save as "TIFF, NORMAL, EMAIL" whatever those mean... I'll set it to TIFF and see what happens! :)

John Stevenson
07-01-2010, 03:29 AM
Don't have a manual. That's why I'm asking questions here. :D

Here you go sunshine.

http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/digistill/cyber/cyber.aspx?site=odw_en_gb&m=DSC-P30

ldn
07-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Edit: I can save as "TIFF, NORMAL, EMAIL" whatever those mean... I'll set it to TIFF and see what happens! :)

Most camera's can't save as RAW. TIFF is the next best thing -- full res with no lossy compression.

jacampb2
07-01-2010, 12:00 PM
My shop camera is a old POS HP camera my sister gave me. I think it is 3.1Mp-- anyhow, I'm in agreement w/ some of the others. Set the resolution low and be done with it. I have my HP camera set at 640x480 and it can hold 92 pictures on the internal memory. Any picture I take in my shop to show you guys doesn't need me to waste any time "post processing" it... If I save in 640x480, I don't even have to bother resizzing before posting. For a shop camera, I just cant see any point in bothering. Even with 92 pics available at that resolution, I normally only take 4-6 in a day when I am documenting a project. I have plenty of other high res cameras if I want good shots...