PDA

View Full Version : A Dictionary of Units of Measurement

john hobdeclipe
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
While cruising around the web earlier today I found this website of measurements, units, background info about different measuring systems and scales, etc., etc.

Lot of good stuff collected here.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/index.html

juergenwt
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks John.

dp
07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Google does a lot of unusual conversions of units. Enter this, for example:

Query:
furlongs per fortnight in miles per hour

Answer:
1 furlongs per fortnight = 0.00037202381 miles per hour

Other similar queries using that format will return conversions:

Query:
60000 oil barrels per day in gallons per day

Answer:
60 000 (oil barrels per day) = 2 520 000 US gallons per day

The Artful Bodger
07-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Has anyone got a convenient conversion from gnat's whiskers to light years?

darryl
07-02-2010, 01:20 AM
There's probably one for comparison of a bees dick to the length of a football field. 24,789,451 bees dicks end to end equals the length, and that's if they're excited. In the flaccid state, it would take 3.4271 times as many-

Then there's the opposite of that- if gnats played football, their field would be only 3.14 inches long

Paul Alciatore
07-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Has anyone got a convenient conversion from gnat's whiskers to light years?

1.375 googles of gnat's whiskers = 1 light year.

The word "google" was invented many years ago by a mathmetically minded gentleman to illustrate to a youngster (student, son, ?) a very large number. It is mathematically defined as 10^100 or ten raised to the 100th power. It can be written as a one followed by 100 zeros. This word predates the internet by at least 100 years. I suspect the originators of Google.com borrowed it as a description of the amount of information they wanted to gather. It is probably too small for the present Google by now. He also invented a number that is vastly larger than the google, the googleplex. One googleplex is 10^google. No one can write this number down except by using power notation as it would have a google of zeros.

garagemark
07-02-2010, 10:11 AM
It would take many more bee's dicks to cover the length of a football field than you allude. Bees ar almost all female. If your going to put information out there, at least be sure it could be true. YOU MUST USE BOOBS, or some other female appendage, not a dick.

Novice machinists must get the best information possible so they do everything right and don't use a drill chuck with a milling cutter. Information like you put out there put many novices at undue risk in a trival pursuit game.

aostling
07-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Lot of good stuff collected here.
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/index.html

Your link has at least one definition I have been trying to pin down for years. In South Africa I sat next to a Boer farmer on a bus from East London to Grahamstown. He told me that the size of his farm was "about 2000 morgens."

I had only an inexact approximation to what a morgen is. Your link is very explicit; in South Africa 1 morgen = 10,246 square yards, by definition.

Weston Bye
07-02-2010, 01:00 PM
It would take many more bee's dicks to cover the length of a football field than you allude. Bees ar almost all female. If your going to put information out there, at least be sure it could be true. YOU MUST USE BOOBS, or some other female appendage, not a dick.

Novice machinists must get the best information possible so they do everything right and don't use a drill chuck with a milling cutter. Information like you put out there put many novices at undue risk in a trival pursuit game.

You forget the drones, the actual male bees. Not too many of them around - only (occasionally) used for their plumbing. Might have to raid a considerable number of hives to come up with enough to cover a football field.

Why would anyone want to?...

john hobdeclipe
07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
It would take many more bee's dicks to cover the length of a football field than you allude. Bees ar almost all female. If your going to put information out there, at least be sure it could be true. YOU MUST USE BOOBS, or some other female appendage...

Wow, it never occured to me to measure in Beeboobeez

PixMan
07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
They have completely omitted the most common unit of measure for "it's off by a...", the "CH" units. Blonde ones, Black ones, Red ones....all missing.

darryl
07-02-2010, 10:39 PM
OOPS- my sincere apologies for my lack of knowledge of insect appendages. Please don't base your masters thesis on the erroneous information I have callously posted here. I hereby compare the diameter of my brain to a light year, and it is but a fraction of that. My ego on the other hand- :)