PDA

View Full Version : warpage potential when machining 1054 bar..?

x39
07-02-2010, 03:40 PM
I have a 1.5" x 17" square piece of cold finished, annealed 1045 steel. I'd like to machine it down to 1.375" but am concerned about the part warping once I break the surface on the first side as I've had happen machining cold finished 1018 of thinner section. I have the option of making parts that fit the bar rather than the bar fit the parts, but the latter would be far more expedient. So what do you guys think, will it warp? Thanks.

Toolguy
07-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Any cold rolled material is going to have some internal stress. One way to deal with it is to rough out the part oversize, then after it moves most of what it's likely to, finish to size. This is not an exact science, as there is no way to predict how much it will move. This method usually gets you where you're going.

Uncle O
07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
1.5 inches thick ? I don't think it's going to move if you whack an 1/8" off it.....
If you want to play it safe , take half from each side.

Toolguy
07-02-2010, 05:33 PM
If you're trying to make something really square and on size, it can move enough to scrap a part. The OP is obviously trying to make quality parts. You should take 1/2 off each side anyway.

x39
07-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I went for it, the material bowed about .005" after cutting .062" off the first side. I flipped it over to do the opposite side, put parrallels on either end and the center, put a clamp in the middle of the part and tightened it until the middle parallel wouldn't move, then clamped the ends, then cut to size, removed the center clamp and milled off the little "island" where the clamp had been. I figure at least the sides are parallel now, and any warpage can be fixed with some judicious press work. Thanks for the input guys.