X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sleazey
    • Sep 2008

4th axis milling May 1, 1945!

Here is a beautiful picture of a Cincinnati milling machine with a universal dividing head mounted, along with what looks to be two hydraulic tracers. Mounted on the dividing head is a turbo charger impeller being milled. Notice all the axes appear to have a power feed.

I can only imagine what the setup and milling time for this job was.

Sorry for the picture size, but this is a case where bigger is better.

If anybody can tell me where I got this picture from, I would appreciate it. There are a bunch of other hi-res machine shop pictures there, but the link I thought I saved does not take me to the pictures. It's a set of pictures from the old NACA, the precursor to NASA.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sleazey; 07-02-2010, 10:24 PM.
  • Liger Zero
    • Apr 2007

That's amazing. 1945... wow.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

• gwilson
      • Feb 2007

The mill has a little Bridgeport vertical head on it. I have the 12,000 RPM high speed version of that head,which is hard to get. Uses a flat belt.

Comment

• mochinist
        • Oct 2003

Really cool, thanks for the picture
        Guru of something…

Comment

• fasto
          • Jun 2007

George has it absolutely right. That's a 1930's Cinncinatti horizontal mill with a Bridgeport M head on it (I think I can see a quill handle).
          So, the next time someone says that an M head is useless....

Note also the 2 tracer styli. One is running on a template that's on the rotary axis, the other template is fixed.

The control boxes look to have an Art Deco nameplate of "DUDCO" on them.

Comment

• Sleazey
            • Sep 2008

GWilson:
            Yea, I noticed that BP head on there. I wondered about that.

Fasto:
            I assume the fixed template is used for milling the impeller base, and the template mounted on the rotary axis is used for milling the actual blades. I can't find any company named Dudco except a hydraulic pump and equipment company.
            Last edited by Sleazey; 07-02-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• darryl
              • Jan 2003

What?- there's a BP head on there- does it leak?
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Robin R
                • May 2008

I think you will have seen the pictures on the Internet Archive, this search probably has the picture you posted, plus others. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nasa%20milling

Comment

• Rich Carlstedt
                  • Jul 2001

Keller was the fore runner in the 30's with Hydralic tracers
                  Cincinnati was also way ahead with the "Hydrotel"
                  The first "CNC" were really hydrallic operated using electrical control in 1947 and were Cincinnati's

Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

• toolmaker76
                    • Aug 2009

This brings back some memories! Haven't worked on any setup that elaborate, but have spent many hours running a tracer mill, or "keller."

Had one of my younger bosses ask me one time, "How did you guys do this stuff before CNC?"

It got done!

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

Very interesting. If you look closely at the two patterns the one on the left is for profiling the blade edges. The one on the 4th axis has two sides and is used to profile the blade faces. Each time the axis is indexed the pattern is realigned with respect to the table to cut the next blade.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• S_J_H
                        • Mar 2006

Thanks for posting the picture. It is now my new wallpaper!

Steve

Comment

• winchman
                          • Aug 2003

When I was working for Avco-Lycoming in the late '60s, we made impellers for our air dynamometers for testing gas turbine engines for helicopters. The impellers were about 30 inches in diameter and 12 inches long.

The machining of the blades was done on a large manual milling machine much like the one in the picture, but I don't recall it using a contour tracer. A lot of hand finishing was required after it came off the mill.

Seems like the procedure was to set the position of the impeller for a particular blade, set the offset of the spindle with respect to the centerline of the impeller, and plunge in to a specified depth with a ball end mill. It took hundreds of cuts to do both sides of each blade, and there were a bunch of blades.
                          Last edited by winchman; 07-03-2010, 01:52 PM.
                          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• gwilson
                            • Feb 2007

I also have a brand new tracing attachment for my Bridgeport. It was sold to an old guy who wanted it to skim off alloy wheels and recondition them. He couldn't get it to work out. ended up going CNC. That work seems like a tough way to earn a living. the unit cost $10,000 new. I mentioned I would like to have one to the company's salesman,and he told me I could get this one for $2000.00. It is a Mimik.

Have you guys ever seen pictures of a shaper set up with tracing attachment for making propeller blades for boats? Pretty neat what they could do manually back then.

Comment

• BobWarfield
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Robin R
                              I think you will have seen the pictures on the Internet Archive, this search probably has the picture you posted, plus others. http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=nasa%20milling
                              Yep, that one is called "Impeller in Machine Shop" if you want to download a bigger version.

I captured some others on CNCCookbook if you want to see them without searching around:

CNC Cookbook provides free CNC software, articles, and resources to help enthusiasts and professionals alike optimize their machining processes.

Cheers,

BW

PS Still got some Monarchs in this 2009 photo: http://ia311040.us.archive.org/1/ite...op001_full.jpg
                              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Working...
                              X