PDA

View Full Version : Trunnion on a indexing spacer?

Hot Bob
07-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out fixturing on some cylindrical parts. They need machining operations performed on the face and then need to be turned 90 degrees and a precise hole bored perpendicular. I'm picturing a clamping block holding four parts, secured to a trunnion, secured to a indexing spacer in the vertical position with a tailstock at the other end. This is for small production runs on a VMC with an APC. I cannot afford to buy a 4th axis trunnion setup but I have a super spacer. Has anyone done this or seen it done? Is this a crazy idea? The risers on the right are the ones I'm trying to work out.

Bob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/badman14/IMG_4121.jpg

John Stevenson
07-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Part mounted onto angle plate held in 4th axis

Do top face operation

Index 90 degrees and offset to do side hole operation.

Hot Bob
07-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Part mounted onto angle plate held in 4th axis

Do top face operation

Index 90 degrees and offset to do side hole operation.

Yup, thought about that. Not enough real estate. I'd like to get at least four pieces in the machine at a time. That would mean they need to be mounted in line. Hence the trunnion idea. I would probably use a pair of angle plates to attach the trunnion table to. I really would rather find an off-the-shelf solution but, my budget is pretty limited.

Bob

John Stevenson
07-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Long angle plate mounted in 4th axis with end of angle plate supported on 4th axis tailstock.

Mount 4 pieces etc.

Or even use a piece of square with one end turned round to fit 4th axis chuck and other end centred, mount to top of square.