PDA

View Full Version : Jib Hoist

HAP
07-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I was hoping to add this to the thread labeled "mill mounted cranes" but I could not find it again. Anyway, it's not quite mill mounted, but I think it fits the spirit of what was discussed. My newly aquired 8" table/spacer is a little too heavy to man handle and has a high potential to smash a finger or two. A cheap Grizzly hoist does a good job and is pretty fast.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/HAPSHOP/Shop%20Stuff/DSCN4884.jpg
Regards,
HAP

Forrest Addy
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Hap, have you tested it?

Doozer
07-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Ahhh.... Memories of my gantry post.

--Doozer

strokersix
07-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Consider moving the middle support bracket up to just under the bend in the tube. That should take a lot of the bending stress off the tubing by triangulation. Also will make it less likely to collapse to the side.

Bill Pace
07-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Neat set-up --- whole shop is neat!

But, I to wonder about the capability of it, -- course we dont know what the material is? Could you enlighten us and maybe ease our worries?

dp
07-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Consider moving the middle support bracket up to just under the bend in the tube. That should take a lot of the bending stress off the tubing by triangulation. Also will make it less likely to collapse to the side.

+1 on that.

JoeFin
07-05-2010, 01:43 PM
My newly aquired 8" table/spacer is a little too heavy to man handle and has a high potential to smash a finger or two.

Regards,
HAP

BTW: Hap - what is the max table load of the mill

I saw a kid and his Dad at auction one day pick up a real nice tilting rotary table. Only problem was the tiling rotary table weight 1000lbs by itself. Not a lot of mills out there can handle that kind of weight

HAP
07-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Guys, thanks for the comments. The pole is one that I got off of an old hospital bed used for physical therapy and helping patients with mobility. It's made out of 1 3/8" hexagonal tube. No clue of composition or alloy? Also, i have no idea of what the mill table weight limit is. The placement was just for the photo in this case. The hoist is rated at 400 lb single pull and 800 lb double. I did consider putting the support up around the bend. I would need a split collar for that. I think I will go with that change especially because you guys feel it would improve the design. Lots of smart people on this board...

BTW the hoist will support me just fine 175#, and I have used it to place the table which weighs about 150#.
Thanks again,
HAP

The Artful Bodger
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Nice tidy workspace Hap!

I do think the boom has bent a little and I am sure everyone will be more comfortable if it was a little more secure.

What I would do is fit a strong point in the ceiling directly overhead the axis of the vertical part of the boom and put a cable or a piece of chain from an eye at that point to the end of the boom. That would transfer much of the weight to the strong point and would stop the boom trying to pull away from the wall as it does now and of course would also address the droop issue.

Just my thoughts..:)

Arcane
07-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I saw a kid and his Dad at auction one day pick up a real nice tilting rotary table. Only problem was the tiling rotary table weight 1000lbs by itself.

Strong pair of buggers, eh?

HAP
07-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Here is my mill table jib hoist after making a few improvements based on some of the feedback. This "specific use" hoist will see duties of no more than 200 lbs.
Thanks again for your input.
HAP
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/HAPSHOP/DSCN4886.jpg