PDA

View Full Version : Looking for OLD version of Autocad, where to find?

J Tiers
07-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I want to find a legit, licenseable copy of Autocad LT 2002, for instance one that someone never installed and has surplus....

But it is hard to find ..... very hard to find

Craig's list pounces on anything like that, and deletes it quick...... even though that at least should be legit, no worse than having someone else pick you up a copy while they are at the software joint.....

For various reasons, it HAS TO BE that particular LT 2002 version, if it happens at all. So alternates are of no use whatsoever to me.

This is not a case where I "have to" do this, so I am not stuck, having to pay whatever is asked...... It would be "very convenient" to have it, but by no means worth paying a premium, or anything like that.

Any suggestions where legitimate obsolete versions of Autocad can be obtained?

Evan
07-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Why must it be that particular version?

J Tiers
07-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I could be like certain others, and say "it doesn't matter why, take it from me that it must".

However, the reason is compatibility.....

At another location is a copy of that, which isn't going to change or be upgraded. I need to swap files with that location.

if I have a copy of the same version, there cannot be any use of a feature that doesn't exist in the version in the other location, and vice-versa. The file will be "both-way compatible" and no nonsense.

YES I DO know that it is possible to save in a variety of versions.

NO I DO NOT want to rely on that, because my experience is that people can be counted on to forget to do that the ONE time when you absolutely HAVE to have a readable file. For instance, when the person at the other end has just left for a 3 day business trip after sending you the file but forgetting to save in a compatible file type.... and needs the files ready when they return. Or it could be the person at THIS end........... whatever....

if it can't happen, I can deal with that, but there may be "issues" if and when someone is in a hurry and forgets.

Glenn Wegman
07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=autocad+lt+2002&sprefix=AutoCad+LT+2002

Bmyers
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't see how a list of unavailable options is a solution.

saltmine
07-06-2010, 11:56 AM
I have an old copy of "Autocad"

But it's on ten stone tablets.

Due to the weight, shipping would be costly.

I also have an old "TurboCad" on a set (12) of 5 1/2" floppys.

Highpower
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Hmmmmm.... nope. Close - but no cigar. (AutoCAD 2000)

lynnl
07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
I know nothing about Autocad, nor what would be a premium price.
But here's an ebay listing for some 400 bucks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AutoCAD-2002-Full-Commercial-Version-FREE-Shipping-/270602893356?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0130782c

As I recall, you've said you don't do ebay, but that might be your best source for some hard to find item.

loose nut
07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
What about some of the Autocad clones, they might be compatible and free.

Your Old Dog
07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
If you go for LynnL's suggestion on ebay make sure you look at the sellers feed back rating and click on the number of feedbacks. You will see his previous sales and note he has sold a couple of AutoCads and the one you want he sold another copy of for $149.00? He is 100% positive feedback.

JoeBean
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Since newer versions of AutoCAD can import (virtually) all previous file formats, wouldn't it be better to use a current version and force the default save file format to be compatible with their s/w? (2002 uses the 2000 format btw)
http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=6439

Rich Carlstedt
07-06-2010, 09:54 PM
When I lived on the West Coast, there were several vendors that sold "old" software, most of it still in the original boxes.
One place was in a store in North San Jose, and the others frequented the "Computer Shows" that they had at the Cow Palace and other exhibition halls.

Do they still have them in the Bay Area ?
That might help you

leesr
07-06-2010, 10:00 PM
download progecad ver 2009, it's free for personnel use.
just register it on your home computer.

Leesr:cool:

J Tiers
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
The different software solution is only a solution if eitehr

1) both people use it (not gonna happen, don't ask why, it ain't me)

2) The capabilities are exactly matched..... so that NO file features exist that the other does not have.........very dubious.

The idea is to avoid the "this file was created by an incompatible version" message, which with Autocad is often seen.

When you get it, you are sunk, nothing for it but to get a new "compatibleized" file sent to you.

naturally, the delay and hassle is not worth paying near original retail........ Hey, it is TWO VERSIONS BACK..............

PeteF
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Jerry I have a copy of that version of AutoCAD. Probably a useless thing to inform you as I'm afraid I can't sell it, however there are currently some being listed on ebay. As long as you don't restrict yourself to wanting to purchase from within the US for some bizarre reason, or want it for $0.99, I didn't have any problems finding sellers just doing an international search.

Pete

RKW
07-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Yep, those situations of people who will not upgrade for whatever reason are not fun. I have used AutoCAD since version 2, so I have seen this sort of thing before.

Maybe you could try exchanging DXF files rather than DWG? A converter (http://www.autodwg.com/DWG_DXF_Converter/) might take care the problem for you. This does not directly answer your question but is worth considering. Just a suggestion.

The different software solution is only a solution if eitehr

1) both people use it (not gonna happen, don't ask why, it ain't me)

2) The capabilities are exactly matched..... so that NO file features exist that the other does not have.........very dubious.

The idea is to avoid the "this file was created by an incompatible version" message, which with Autocad is often seen.

When you get it, you are sunk, nothing for it but to get a new "compatibleized" file sent to you.

naturally, the delay and hassle is not worth paying near original retail........ Hey, it is TWO VERSIONS BACK..............

J Tiers
07-07-2010, 12:02 AM
No ebay account, so no joy there....

Plus I was, in a PM, pointed to at least one listing...... but it is a "previously used" version, and Autodesk does NOT allow re-selling after installation. it is a violation of the user agreement, and makes the copy illegal...... not the plan at all, a previous employer had 400 grand in penalty costs due to that sort of nonsense.

I suspect most ebay sellers are disposing of used versions they THINK are superseded when they upgrade...... Unfortunately, they are not, in many cases, and Autodesk is IIRC one of those, you need the prior versions to validate your current one..... And can't resell a used verion according to the user agreement anyway.

if you have never installed it, you never agreed to that User Agreement, so it does not bind you.

squirrel
07-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Stimulate the economy, buy a seat of Solidworks 2010. I grew up on Autocad and have not intention to go back.

J Tiers
07-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Stimulate the economy, buy a seat of Solidworks 2010. I grew up on Autocad and have not intention to go back.

My "milacron moment".......

Read the above as to why this software and this software only ;)

leesr
07-07-2010, 01:18 AM

J tiers

I work with an even older autocad hahaha
progecad opens these files, I have not tried going the other way
will let you know if it works.

unfortunately my auto cad will not load on my new system.
thats why the virtual PC thing.
maybe as as sugested above file converter

Leesr:D

gaston
07-07-2010, 01:21 AM
thought I might have you covered but I dug out my old stuff and mine is 98LT. bought it to take a college course with my son then never had time. By the time I regained interest I found myself a proud owner of solidworks 2007 and mastercam v9. I loaned a company the money to purchase them and a mill. they went "belly up and I repoed the software and the mill. sold the mill to help cover what was owed me. Don't think I could legally sell the software as its registered under the dead companies name and they owe to the software vender for service.

leesr
07-07-2010, 01:40 AM
J tiers

I work with an even older autocad hahaha
progecad opens these files, I have not tried going the other way
will let you know if it works.

unfortunately my auto cad will not load on my new system.
thats why the virtual PC thing.
maybe as as suggested above file converter

Leesr:D

yes it works
does save as autocad rel 2.x thru 2007 incrementally

leesr;)

doctor demo
07-07-2010, 02:07 AM

ROFLMAO
Oh, You want Autocad....why didn't You say so?:D

Steve:rolleyes:

John Stevenson
07-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Obvious and probably silly question but why don't you AND your supplier download Progecad ?

It's free, it's an Aclod clone so no training or learning curves and then you are both on the same page as regards up to date software.

ptjw7uk
07-07-2010, 05:50 AM
John,
Not sure where you get the free version, I can only find the professional version for Price€291.55.

Peter

J Tiers
07-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Well, I am slowly converting to Alibre, but in this case it is a short-term deal (some months), the files are in Autocad LT 2002, they are not gonna change, because , well, they aren't.

One USUALLY does not demand a client change what they do, unless you are an operations consultant............

B.O.T, All I want is a reasonably priced legitimate older version of Autocad, that does not come with legal hassles...... While that may be available on ebay, I have no account there..... and most of the goniffs on ebay selling software are clueless, as far as I can see.

I don't care to buy an illegal copy from one. Even if they say "I been using it for months with no problem" ;) :D

fishfrnzy
07-07-2010, 10:20 AM
A suggestion, find your legit copy on ebay, then have your client purchase with their ebay account ( discussed with vthem in advance of course).

leesr
07-07-2010, 01:40 PM
John,
Not sure where you get the free version, I can only find the professional version for Price€291.55.

Peter

the free version of progecad is on the link below, it's the 2009 ver not 2010
look at the bottom of the page for the down load.

http://www.progesoft.com/en/smart-2009

it's autocad compatible.

Leesr:)

John Stevenson
07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I think Jerry is looking for problems where there are none.

I get files for all around the world and I have no idea what program wrote them.

I insist on DXF's and need to know at least one major measurement so I can check it hasn't come in scaled.
I have about 4 or 5 CAD programs and what one won't open another will and resend out.

I agree you can't insist a supplier changes their program to suit but if you are subcontracting you can insist on the type of file and version you want, most suppiers will conform once they know what you want.

Tony Ennis
07-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Can you call the makers of AutoCAD, explain your problem, and see if they'll send you a copy of the ancient version you need?

leesr
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I think Jerry is looking for problems where there are none.

I get files for all around the world and I have no idea what program wrote them.

I insist on DXF's and need to know at least one major measurement so I can check it hasn't come in scaled.
I have about 4 or 5 CAD programs and what one won't open another will and resend out.

I agree you can't insist a supplier changes their program to suit but if you are subcontracting you can insist on the type of file and version you want, most suppiers will conform once they know what you want.

yep agreed

Leesr

Tony Ennis
07-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Jerry is looking for problems where there are none.

Insufficient data. Sounds to me like he got the high hard one some time in the past and is trying to avoid a repeat performance.

J Tiers
07-07-2010, 11:42 PM
We've had problems with the 'wrong version" several times before, including with this client.

This usually happens when their guy is going to be gone, he whips the file out to us late on Friday, and they need the work returned Monday.... and we need their file to do it. Only he sends the wrong format, and nobody else there knows what to do to send it. And they all left already anyhow......

Been there , seen it, wore out the T-shirt already.......

if we have the same version, we get to open the file (our LT is older, and the formats seem to have changed slightly between them)

leesr
07-08-2010, 02:39 AM
We've had problems with the 'wrong version" several times before, including with this client.

This usually happens when their guy is going to be gone, he whips the file out to us late on Friday, and they need the work returned Monday.... and we need their file to do it. Only he sends the wrong format, and nobody else there knows what to do to send it. And they all left already anyhow......

Been there , seen it, wore out the T-shirt already.......

if we have the same version, we get to open the file (our LT is older, and the formats seem to have changed slightly between them)

some times it is better to redraw the geometry to make sure it's right.
I had a customer send me 4 different exchange files iges, step, dxf & so on
and all where wrong. so I just redraw it. of course engineering sketch or drawing required. I never rely on their geometry.
it does take time to do it but it's worth the trouble. my 2 cents
regardless a drawing is required to verify first article , no matter what type of work.

Leesr

J Tiers
07-08-2010, 09:29 AM
some times it is better to redraw the geometry to make sure it's right.
I had a customer send me 4 different exchange files iges, step, dxf & so on
and all where wrong. so I just redraw it. of course engineering sketch or drawing required. I never rely on their geometry.
it does take time to do it but it's worth the trouble. my 2 cents
regardless a drawing is required to verify first article , no matter what type of work.

Leesr

yes, very good advice......

BUT THEIR GEOMETRY IS IN THE UNREADABLE FILE

BigBoy1
07-08-2010, 09:42 AM
While going through some old stuff I found a CD with AutoCAD 14. The copyright date is 1997. I don't think this is what you are looking for but I'll sell it for $10 and I'll pay the shipping!

leesr
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
yes, very good advice......

BUT THEIR GEOMETRY IS IN THE UNREADABLE FILE

JT

thats why engineers issue drawings. & then a interchange file.
because it is not fool proof.

I would never rely on just the customer geometry.
if they insist on an interchange file. your playing with fire. :>(

ok I issue files out to my suppliers but I also give them a drawing.

Cheers
Leesr:eek:

J Tiers
07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Sometimes the send a PDF, sometimes not.

Sometimes it is a 4 page D size drawing with a page of plant layout, a couple pages of electrical, and a page or more of part and equipment callouts, and we need to do some sort of modifications or additions... We may have sent it to them originally, they modified it over the last couple years without updating us, and it's back for more......

No way am I re-drawing 4 or 5 D size pages, fairly dense, AND doing the calcs and code checking in a day or even two.

Not and make any money.

Not and be reasonably sure it's right......

leesr
07-09-2010, 02:54 AM
Sometimes the send a PDF, sometimes not.

Sometimes it is a 4 page D size drawing with a page of plant layout, a couple pages of electrical, and a page or more of part and equipment callouts, and we need to do some sort of modifications or additions... We may have sent it to them originally, they modified it over the last couple years without updating us, and it's back for more......

No way am I re-drawing 4 or 5 D size pages, fairly dense, AND doing the calcs and code checking in a day or even two.

Not and make any money.

Not and be reasonably sure it's right......

JT

my appologies, I was thinking again lol, mechanical parts.
your absolutely right. however couild you not red line the changes onto your drawing have their engineering or draftsman change it.

sound like you doing major work which requires you buy the full version of Auto cad professional. if you buy the latest software & it will be backward compatible.

Take care JT

Leesr:eek:

John Stevenson
07-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Jerry,
I deal with one company that sends the drawing out in their CAD program format, I can read this using the free reader supplied by the CAD program just for this purpose.
They also send out the exact same file in DXF format.

Between these two I never get stuck, I may have queries but not on the drawing front.

Can you train your customer to work this way ?

J Tiers
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
probably could, eventually...... But would prefer for the moment to read it as it comes......

Training customers is like educating consumers...... it only works for a little while, and it annoys the customer.

Looks like no joy on the LT here....

LT/Autocad is what the stuff is in, we just want some quick compatibility.... LT would do it, and is generally cheaper than the full version, so long as it is in the same "revision family".

John Stevenson
07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Jerry,
Might not even answer your problem, I was given an Autocad file at work to do some work on at home, my program was able to open DWG's and save as DWG's
Got home and no joy, incompatibility issues ?

Went back to work following day and spoke to the drafts-lady and explained what had happened.
She went to open the file and got the same message incompatibility issues, this from the same computer that had generated the file.

Got a new file in DWG and DXF format. DXF worked but DWG was same message.

Tried a load of programs out of interest and Easycad was the only one that would read it, ironic that it was the cheapest at the time :D

If it was me and I had a licensed copy of LT later then 2002 I'd have no quarms at getting an early bootleg copy and running that as a backup. Is it your fault they are not backwards compatable ?

J Tiers
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
If it was me and I had a licensed copy of LT later then 2002 I'd have no quarms at getting an early bootleg copy and running that as a backup. Is it your fault they are not backwards compatable ?

Oh, they are backward compatible, but the customer has the later version........................ he can read ours, but not the reverse