PDA

View Full Version : "Experienced Machinist" wanted

aostling
07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
This sign caught my eye, driving past a factory on Frye Road in Chandler, AZ. Since these are hard times, I thought this posting might help one of you out.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/Grinderwanted.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/PilgrimScrew.jpg

Tinkerer
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey I can grind things off-center...:D.

But the name of the business give me an uneasy feeling... :eek:.

So I guess I'll pass... ;).

PixMan
07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Experienced Centerless Grinder Operator would have been a more accurate way of posting the opening. And the name "Pilgrim Screw" wouldn't even raise an eyebrow here in New England. Heck, we probably have a couple of those companies here, except for the the one that moved to AZ, away from the skilled and experienced labor force. :D

aostling
07-06-2010, 05:27 PM
And the name "Pilgrim Screw" wouldn't even raise an eyebrow here in New England.

I didn't post it for a joke, nor to limit the thread to centerless grinders. New England cannot top the factory sign, visible for years from the freeway into San Francisco: Bay City Screw & Bolt.

gnm109
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
With a name like ........."Screw Company", I'd be afaid of not getting paid. :)

Captain.Jerry
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM
There is an old story about the asylum inmate that raped a female attendant and then escaped. The newspaper headline read:

NUT SCREWS AND BOLTS

oldbikerdude37
07-06-2010, 08:01 PM
running a centerless grinder is a thankless boring job, get someone from the whitehouse to run it, they never had a real job.

Toolguy
07-06-2010, 09:18 PM
With a name like ........."Screw Company", I'd be afaid of not getting paid. :)

Yeah... as in "Hurry up Pilgrim - yer burnin' daylight".

Liger Zero
07-06-2010, 09:31 PM
running a centerless grinder is a thankless boring job, get someone from the whitehouse to run it, they never had a real job.

I ran one awhile back when I worked at the screw machine product company...

I see ads in the Craigslist and on the Job Bank looking for "experienced" operators with 5-10 years experience.

Centerless grinding isn't that "difficult" to learn, I can't imagine wanting to run one for 5-10 year to become "that" experienced.

*shrugh* Said by the man who loves to stand there and cycle his molding machines.

tdkkart
07-06-2010, 09:32 PM
I managed to make 10 dowel pins the diameter I wanted on our centerless grinder at work with a bit of help from our tool grinder guy. Am I qualified??

gmatov
07-07-2010, 01:36 AM
"running a centerless grinder is a thankless boring job, get someone from the whitehouse to run it, they never had a real job."

Id'a thunk that a centerless grinder would be a thankless TURNING job.

"Hey I can grind things off-center.."

That's a kick in the ass right there. Big giggle.

Cheers,

George

Peter.
07-07-2010, 01:56 AM
There is an old story about the asylum inmate that raped a female attendant and then escaped. The newspaper headline read:

NUT SCREWS AND BOLTS

I heard it was the laundry girl, and the headline was actually:

NUT SCREWS WASHER AND BOLTS

oldbikerdude37
07-07-2010, 03:34 AM
I ran one awhile back when I worked at the screw machine product company...

I see ads in the Craigslist and on the Job Bank looking for "experienced" operators with 5-10 years experience.

Centerless grinding isn't that "difficult" to learn, I can't imagine wanting to run one for 5-10 year to become "that" experienced.

*shrugh* Said by the man who loves to stand there and cycle his molding machines.

I have much repect for a Centerless grinding worker, I had this guy working for me that would turn any bar of steel into any size in seconds, american to metric .+/-.-0001" it dont matter that guy made it to spec every time. it had 2 wheel heads turning 15,000 rpm.
He could nod the head of a mill,machine the CG guides in 30 minutes then tram the mill in 10 minutes, he was amazing.
one day I saw him programming a cnc mill, he had it running a 1.25" endmill at 15,000 RPM at full rapid traverse in aluminum. it was set up to violently machine the part fast to a silly level. 125,000 parts later the boss did not say anything bad thats for sure.

I was the shops fix it guy but that man made me feel like a dummy, I looked at his resume and he has TONS of parts in orbit around the earth, after that I never told him anything, he did whatever he wanted and nobody told him how to do his job .

What made me mad is that man worked for $9.50 an HR. he was worth 3 times that:eek:

Rustybolt
07-07-2010, 12:25 PM

For throughfeed work, sure.
But there is a lot of thought and imagination needed for infeed work. Three different diameters ground at the same time on the same piece and hold +/_ .001 on all three diameters on thousands of pieces.

johnhurd
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Must be their "Illegal" CG operator took a hike back to the homeland...eh?