PDA

View Full Version : Turnkey 4 axis CNC to go on a fully manual ZX45.

Farndurk
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I have about $3k to play with. I already have a Bolton ZX45 en route. Looking for the usual suspects ... 3 axis, Mach3 compatability, some kindof jog-box or whathaveyou to jog the axes, nice torque-able torque-age, 4th axis compatability (for now just the cnc system 4th axis, I'll have to hardware-up the 4th axis later ... see cash sitch below). I'll be working with the usual stuff. CS .. CrMo .. Al. .. most likely no Ti though. Engines, Harleys, VWs, bicycles ...

.... Oh yea ... and um .. if it all works out a little engraving too. :rolleyes: (geez!)

That should do it for my needs.

Try like heck to K.I.S.S.

Leaves me about $1k for some basic tooling. I know that's barely enough to get started, but it'll have to do. So the more dollar/efficient the cnc system is, the more I have for tooling (hint hint). We sold every gun we own (except one) over the weekend, as well as a whole slew of welding gear. So I'm out of cash-generating poop for a bit. We have an entire Torch and Regulator repair business all stored in boxes and platic tubs that will go up for sale next. As well as some power-tool and generator inventory yet. A guitar or two, and a non-capacitor/rotary type 3 phase converter too (5hp .. single to 3 phase. So if you have 1ph and need decent/clean 3ph up to 5hp worth .. I got your stuff bro!). And a couple of synths (one is a full-on modular Deopfer setup!). So that'll feed my demon a little bit too.

This addiction is worse than CRACK!

Farndurk
07-07-2010, 09:27 AM
And is there some sortof Delrin/brass/???/combo-type screwnut thingy that can be used to avoid a full-on ballscrew conversion?

Seems like a waste of time to cnc it without upgrading the leadscrews ...

Thanks!

davidh
07-07-2010, 01:36 PM
so, where on earth are you ? i may have a group interested in your torch / reg stuff.

tooldok at gmail dot com

davidh

John Stevenson
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
What happened to the Taig ?

BobWarfield
07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
And is there some sortof Delrin/brass/???/combo-type screwnut thingy that can be used to avoid a full-on ballscrew conversion?

Thanks!

Noooooooooooo, not on an RF-45!

The full on ballscrew conversion is easy and makes for a much better result on a mill this big. See my site for details of such a conversion:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillCNCHome.html

Start at the bottom and read upwards.

The only turnkey kit I've heard of it from Industrial Hobbies, but it takes forever to get one. If someone else makes one, I'd love to hear it. With that said, I'll bet you could make your own pretty easily looking at the pictures of mine and others. There really isn't that much to it.

Cheers,

BW

macona
07-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Thanks!

Go the ballscrew route. Its worth it in the long run. Even rolled screws are pretty accurate. Within .003 per foot. Just make sure they are preloaded.

rowbare
07-08-2010, 03:07 PM
There are a couple of guys converting Boltons in CNCZone:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101638

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103169

As well there are several ongoing RF-45 conversions.

bob

Farndurk
07-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry I didn't participate. Got sick again.

So anyhow ... Taig is out. Manual is in. New machines land tomorrow!

Thx .. see new thread. :)

Brian ..