PDA

View Full Version : Flies!!!!

laddy
07-07-2010, 06:35 PM
How do you keep flies from invading the shop? I open the door for 2 seconds and have flies buzzing around. I can't concentrate on what I am doing with these damn things dive bombing me HELP!!!!!! thanks Fred

PeteF
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Personal hygiene?

PeteF
07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Seriously though, flies are cold blooded so they aren't able to fly when its really cold. When I was an apprentice my first job of the morning was grab the vacuum and go around the workshop vacuuming up all the flies before they warmed up enough to really pi$$ us off all day. Unfortunately the nights needed to be cold and it didn't stop their uninvited mates from coming in, but it was a start.

John Stevenson
07-07-2010, 06:58 PM
I have invested heavily into ozone friendly fly traps that don't rely on ozone depleting chemicals to do the job.

I have about 10 freaking great spiders. :rolleyes:

Black_Moons
07-07-2010, 07:12 PM
There are ozone depleting fly traps? Sounds awsome where do I get some of those?

More seriously, I allways found those giant sticky traps you hang from the ceiling very effectively.. Much to the horror of when you accidently bump into one and get a glue covered rope with 1000 flys on it stuck in your hair.

But yea.. put them well outta the way and they work well.

Too_Many_Tools
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
A great way to control flies in the shop is to leave a UV bug zapper running in the shop at night.

Flies like light...and with the UV zapper the only light source around they will fly to their deaths.

Remember not to have any flammables around when the zapping starts.

A story...a friend of mine build a super big zapper years ago to take of birds up in his warehouse. The birds would fly by the grid he had installed and *ZAP* BANG* ...drop smoking out of the sky on to the warehouse floor.

The place did smell of burnt feathers all the time.

TMT

vpt
07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I have about 10 freaking great spiders. :rolleyes:

I have 3, one is huge and is just above the lathe. They only come out at night.

The Artful Bodger
07-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Make yourself a fly curtain for your door.

Sir John's arachnid solution is a good one but ever better are the little green geckos found in warmer climates (it always amazes me how they can poop and have it stick to the ceiling?).

motorcyclemac
07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Well I find that the .338 Winchester Magnum....loaded with a 250 grain soft point will normally kill them with one shot. But don't miss because they charge when wounded.

Seriously...it is an issue and I find that fly strips and the zapper to be the best option. We do have an abnormal number of flies as our property is near a couple farms with an abundance of bovine excrement.

I suck them up with the shop vac.... I burn them outta the air with a can of brake clean..and a bic lighter....

Flies....blackberry vines...mosquitoes ....wasps and hornets....all need to be driven to extinction.

Wasps...are my most hated creature. They build paper nests every friggin place... I go hunting with cans of foaming killer late at night...when they are all in the nest. Now..if flies had nests I could get..
Cheers
Mac.

spope14
07-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Believe it or not, we had fly problems for three years, then my daughter planted mint in little planters all over the yard and in small pots in the house and in the garage.

When in my shop, which is not much lately as it is hot as hell, I put these out and the flys tend to leave.

speedy
07-07-2010, 09:05 PM
How do you keep flies from invading the shop? I open the door for 2 seconds and have flies buzzing around. I can't concentrate on what I am doing with these damn things dive bombing me HELP!!!!!! thanks Fred

Paint the walls blue.
Place fly traps/attractants outside the shop.
Fly zappas.
Do you have a dog that pisses on the lawn? That will bring the flies about. Put some baking powder in the dogs drinking water.

Crap in the furthest corner of the section.

Liger Zero
07-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Believe it or not, we had fly problems for three years, then my daughter planted mint in little planters all over the yard and in small pots in the house and in the garage.

When in my shop, which is not much lately as it is hot as hell, I put these out and the flys tend to leave.

Marigolds do wonders as well. Also if you smoke take a single cigarette soak it in water until it turns into "tea" and spray the resulting mixture where the flies tend to collect. Eves, windows, doorways...

oldbikerdude37
07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
get some cats, they like to kill bugs,big time.

lugnut
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM
This should bring some laughs, When we first moved to the Oregon coast we noticed that several cafes and other business had small Zip Lock baggies about half full of water hanging in the doorways and open windows. I asked why and was told that it would scare off house fly's. Well I tried it and it did work. Check it out on google or some other search engine and there is a lot of talk about it.

Toolguy
07-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I had flies in my shop really bad. At first there weren't that many. Then they kept getting worse and worse. After about 3 weeks there were thousands. I had to smoke bomb the place and stay out for a couple of days. When I went back in, there were dead flies covering about every square inch of the shop. It took hours to clean up most of them and days before I got all the ones I could get. It was a nasty job, but being the only one here, I got elected. I spent many hours trying to figure out a way to Keep the flies down without poisoning myself at the same time. Finally I came up with a solution. I got some household bug killer that isn't toxic to people once it dries. I sprayed it on the florescent lights in the shop and the windows in the office right before I left one night. The flies and other bugs spent most of their time on the lights or the windows. There is a bare minimum of chemicals, and not any that I come in contact with. Any new bugs that get in are gone in a day or two before they have time to make more. Now I only have one or two flies every so often, but they don't last long. About once a week I will vacuum up a few on the window sill and I'm done with flies in a minute or two. Problem solved.

Evan
07-08-2010, 01:03 AM
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the easiest solution of all. My garage shop has barn doors that I leave open most of the summer. To keep flies, hornets, wasps and mosquitos out I place a small turbo fan at the back of the shop pointed directly at the middle of the 8 x 10 foot opening.

When they do fly in the average air velocity out is much higher than the velocity in around the edges of the opening so on average they end up outside. It works beautifully. It will work with any opening, window, door, whatever.

Liger Zero
07-08-2010, 01:10 AM
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the easiest solution of all. My garage shop has barn doors that I leave open most of the summer. To keep flies, hornets, wasps and mosquitos out I place a small turbo fan at the back of the shop pointed directly at the middle of the 8 x 10 foot opening.

When they do fly in the average air velocity out is much higher than the velocity in around the edges of the opening so on average they end up outside. It works beautifully. It will work with any opening, window, door, whatever.

What... no home built optical/laser/CNC/servo-driven solution or Long Lost Discarded Xerox Patent?! You disappoint me. :(

:D

vpt
07-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I got a couple pics of my spiders last night when they came out. I only got one pic of the bigger one because the flash of the camera scared him back to his hole.

The bigger one:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5049/lathespider037.jpg

One of the smaller ones:
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2539/lathespider042.jpg

Not one fly survives more than a day in my shop.

JoeLee
07-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Flys don't come around unless there is something that is attracting them........ garbage, dead critters, etc......
Once in a great while I get one in the shop, nothing in there for them to eat. In cooler weather they tend to congregate on the entrance door of my shop beacuse it warms up in the sun, when I say they I mean just a couple...... not a swarm.

JL............

laddy
07-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Not swarms just one or two that slip in when the large garage door is opened for a second. Then they dive bomb you and pick on you as you are trying to work. The whole damn world outside and they got to pick on me as I have a few minutes leisure time. How do restraunts keep them out??? Laminar flow of air at the doors???? I hate bugs, Flies, Mosquitos etc!!!!

S_J_H
07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
get some cats, they like to kill bugs,big time.

Yep, they are deadly assassin's when it comes to bugs!
I have not seen any flies last longer than a few minutes in our home since we added 2 pet cats a year ago. They will not stop until they catch and kill them.
I just find the flies on the floor, dead.
Steve

mayfieldtm
07-08-2010, 03:02 PM
I just unzip my Pants.
They all will fly down there and buzz around and not bother my face.
Tom M.

lynnl
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Well I have a theory about flies. Wanta hear it...?
Ok, good.

In addition to being attracted to odors and food stuff, flies are also attracted to vibrations. I think it's kinda like a mating call to them.

I first came to realize this many years ago, when running my table saw with the garage door open in the hot Louisiana summer out in Shreveport. (I've told this before, but it's been a few years..)
While I was ripping a board on the table saw, a fly flew up and actually alighted (alit? ...landed) right on top of the spinning edge of the saw blade protruding up through the board being cut.
I was astounded! So I just stopped pushing the board and watched for awhile. The fly would walk back and forth, and turn around on that spinning blade edge. After amusing myself that way for a while, I decided to see what would happen when I turned the saw off. I pushed the board on through, and turned it off. and as the blade coasted down I could see he was reacting to the change in speed. Eventually it got slow enough, and I guess he fell into a gullet; at any rate he was flung off.

After shaking my head and reflecting on that, I resumed my work. And, Lo and Behold, as soon as I turned on the table saw another fly arrived and did the same thing. (It may've been the same fly. I didn't notice any distinguishing characteristics either time.) Well, that pretty much continued the rest of the afternoon. And I've seen it happen numerous times since.

And just a couple of days ago I was using the air hose w/blow gun to blow dry a saw blade I was cleaning (referenced in my "Evaporust" thread that's taken on a life of its own :D), and every time I'd start blowing with the compressed air, a fly would show up and try to make love to the blow gun.
(I'm actually just guessing as to his motivation...)

So obviously vibrating objects, especially harmonics I'd think, seem to draw flies like crazy.

And you wantta know the worst attractor...? That's right, Rock 'n Roll music!! That's why there's so many flies around these days.

I'll betcha Fred keeps the radio on, and tuned to Rock 'n Roll all day long. :)

Ye'see, that's why I don't listen to Rock 'n Roll. That, plus the fact I find it irritating.
...and Rap! That's the worst of all. Flies will carry you off if you have Rap playing.

aboard_epsilon
07-08-2010, 03:40 PM
There is an Australian product .

It consists of a jar with some putrid substance in the bottom of it ..the flies go in and they cant escape ..they rot ..and you add a bit of water now and again.

The more flies that get in there ..the more it putrefies ..and even more flies are attracted to it.

it works very well indeed ..
if you were to put the thing, say twenty yards from your shop ..then all flies in theory would go there rather than your shop.

i don't know the name of the device ..but perhaps an Aussies could chip in with the name of it .

all the best.markj

saltmine
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Out here in Arizona, flies and flying critters are looking for water. And, here I am, sweating like a stuck pig. They're also attracted to cutting oil, especially if you're making smoke with it.

I hung a medium sized bug zapper above the door, and placed a 26" box fan, blowing out, in the doorway. During the day, the local birds dine of chrispy bugs.

A fisherman friend of mine once told me not to wear yellow, when I'm working out in the shop. He said flies are attracted to yellow (for some reason) so, I stopped wearing my GM Performance "T" shirts (all yellow with blue & red lettering). He was right, to a point. But I have dozens of GM Performance "T" shirts.... (When I worked for GM, we'd get a GM Performance "T" shirt whenever we sold a Goodwrench engine or transmission. I've got tons of them. Of course, they would give you a free engine stand if you sold ten engines in a month, too. We had engine stands all over the shop...

What I do now, is spray "OFF" insect repellent on myself before I go out to the shop. The little buggers are still flying around, but they don't bother me as much. Ive found it's hillarious to watch one land on a hot piece of 4140, and then realize it's hot when it's little feet stick to the steel...

.RC.
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
i don't know the name of the device ..

http://www.premaorganics.com/efekto_fly_trap.php

The Artful Bodger
07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Let the poor little buggers be! Just make yourself one of these Australian inventions!

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~apc38/spraak/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/57612465-300x246.jpg

gvasale
07-08-2010, 06:10 PM
must be alive and well, and not just on vinyl.

Evan
07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Try the fan. It really works, especially if you have just one window open and the rest are screened. It blows them right out of the shop.