PDA

View Full Version : shop upgrade

loose nut
07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
At present we are having our kitchen redone, I could have set up a new shop with quality equipment for what the kitchen cost me, a complete gut job and rebuild. When the old cabinets where taken out I had them stored in the garage and for the last two weeks while I was on vacation I have been redoing my shop. One pickup load of old cabinets to the dump and another with "stuff" that was lying around the shop, if it hasn't been touches in 10 years out it went.

Here are a couple of pic, mostly done, a few things still to finish.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/loosenut_bucket/DSC00098-1.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/loosenut_bucket/DSC00095-1.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/loosenut_bucket/DSC00094-1.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/loosenut_bucket/DSC00096-1.jpg

loose nut
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/loosenut_bucket/DSC00097-1.jpg

Still needs some paint on the walls but it is only a shop. well maybe someday.

Your Old Dog
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
GReat looking shop! Bet all that storage will come in handy. I have next to no storage and no place to put anything.

Toolguy
07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Looks like a really nice place to work. I always say - If yer gonna be in the doghouse, make sure it's a good one!

Mcgyver
07-12-2010, 08:56 PM
how'd you sell the little lady on a particle board finish in the kitchen?

when i first saw the pics before reading the first thought was wow, that guy is sure top dog in his house, he's managed to get machine tools into the kitchen!! :D

gregl
07-12-2010, 10:42 PM
My sincerest sympathies to you, Loose Nut. I, too, just completed a kitchen remodel. One day the wife said, I WANT A NEW KITCHEN. So that was the end of that. But we know it doesn't end there and most of the rest of the house gets done too.

And I too could have set up a world-class professional-level woodshop for what it cost me for the cabinets but I figured that the learning curve would have kept me making cabinets for a couple of years.

As we all know, when the woman is happy, you are happy. And your shop looks better than my kitchen!

KIMFAB
07-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Nice setup! With the cabinets you will be equally at home working on the machines or serving tea and crumpets.
I went with OSB on my walls too. Makes it a lot nicer than sheetrock in that you can hang stuff on the walls without looking for studs.

What is that on red stand next to the bandsaw? Could that possibly be those sheep leg restraints you were perfecting?

At the risk of being accused of a thread hijack I'll mention my redneck solution to the house upgrade.

Several years ago the wife decided she not only wanted a new kitchen, she also needed new bathrooms and new carpet throughout.

We were living in a 20 year old doublewide and I had just sold my Internet business so in true redneck fashion instead of redoing the place we just moved it to our back property where it became a rental. We then installed a custom designed modular.

Here is that story.

http://www.kimfab.com/house.htm

Except for the hassle with the house installation people it was nice. We only had one day of having to live in a construction mess.

Cobbler
07-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Just in the middle of a remodel project at my house too. Old kitchen cabinets are now in the soon-to-be wood shop next to the metal shop.

Very nice looking shop you have there. I truly like the eclectic mixture of modern machines and vintage cabinets.

BWS
07-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Lets see,the cabmets aren't good enough for kitchen but they can be used in shop.......isn't that a bit backwards?Just bustin on ya'll,very nice and a responsible reuse of materials.BW

garagemark
07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Jeez man, yer shop looks beeter than my whole dam house! Glad the ol lady don't read this board. You'd get my arse in big trouble! She thinks it oughta look like it does now. Gawd, turn it off for she sees it!

Seriously- A little white on the walls and you'll be wearing sunglasses.

No, really seriously- Nice shop man. Great cabinet space.

Envious.

hornluv
07-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Those really add a touch of class to the shop. I especially like the glass fronted cabinets.

loose nut
07-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Lets see,the cabmets aren't good enough for kitchen but they can be used in shop.......isn't that a bit backwards?Just bustin on ya'll,very nice and a responsible reuse of materials.BW

You can't see it in the pictures but the cabinets are showing there age.

You want to know suffering, I'm hoping to retire in a few years, 3 maybe, so the house has to be brought up to snuff before then because there won't be any money for it afterward.

First a new roof, the old one was looking frail so we replaced it with one of those artsy metal roofs, 50 year guarantee. CA-CHING.

Next the original 55 year old windows where in bad shape, replaced with triple pane low-e glass windows. Booiiinnnnggggg!

New gutters and front door, ca-ching-ish.

Last year the bathroom had to be done, a complete gut job, CAAA-CHINGE

This year the half bath needed to be done it was original 55 years old and in really bad shape and a new laundry room because the wife wasn't having the new washer/dryer going into the kitchen like the POS stuff that is dying on us now, CA-CHINGE CHINGE CHINGE CHINGE.

And now the kitchen which was a complete gut job too. NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

All the rooms have had the wiring and plumbing brought up to code and the walls built out to 6" with new insulation, no point in not doing it once the walls are ripped out, so the rest of the house is just removing the 1970's white trash paneling and putting in new insulation and dry wall.

When I open my wallet now the moths are to involved with moaning and crying to fly out. So much for my retirement, monies all gone.:(

The Artful Bodger
07-13-2010, 10:46 PM
You want to know suffering, I'm hoping to retire in a few years, 3 maybe, so the house has to be brought up to snuff before then because there won't be any money for it afterward.
(

I know what you mean but I took the easy way out and we are having a new house built, complete with a bigger than existing shop!:rolleyes:

wierdscience
07-13-2010, 11:03 PM
Well if you can mange a toilet and shower,then maybe a beer fridge and bed I can see no reason to ever go in the house again:)

RancherBill
07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
It's almost PERFECT. up just need a paper towel holder under one of the cabinets. :) :rolleyes:

HAP
07-14-2010, 04:50 AM
I need to get one of those stripper poles in the middle too...:)

Nice shop! I agree with adding the white paint.

HAP

BWS
07-14-2010, 07:55 AM
"White trash paneling"....too funny.I've been in the building biz for 40 or so years.Recently came up with a delightful way of rehabbin Dbl. wides.It basically makes a crucifix form.IOWs we take a 24' wide slice right out of the middle,runnin perpendicular to ex. structure(getting rid of "most" of the inherent problems).Gables,front and back.Vault ceiling and throw big masonary FP in cntr.......what I'm getting at is we've made some serious inroads to buildings that have heretofore been seen as not worth the effort.White trash paneling is one of those types of things,yet to find anything to do with the bloomin stuff?The very best of luck,BW

Black Forest
07-14-2010, 08:18 AM
That shop looks terrible with those cabinets in there. To girly. I thought also that you had moved your tools into the kitchen. I couldn't work in that shop.

Maybe if you move all the tools out and get an airless paint sprayer and paint everything white it would be ok.

Later maybe I will get some pictures of my shop. It is in a barn.

loose nut
07-14-2010, 07:49 PM
It's almost PERFECT. up just need a paper towel holder under one of the cabinets. :) :rolleyes:

It's mounted on the back wall.

loose nut
07-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Well if you can mange a toilet and shower,then maybe a beer fridge and bed I can see no reason to ever go in the house again:)

It's been mentioned, not by me though, the wife's idea.

loose nut
07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I.White trash paneling is one of those types of things,yet to find anything to do with the bloomin stuff?The very best of luck,BW

You said that you put fire places in them didn't you, now you need something to burn. Problem solved.

RancherBill
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
It's mounted on the back wall.

I can't believe I fell for the old "mount it vertically' trick!!!:eek: :D