PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Made a Central Heating Trap/Filter

aboard_epsilon
07-13-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm just about to have a new gas boiler installed .

I've heard that these new condensing boilers have narrow capillary tubes in the heat exchangers and are very sensitive to dirt and muck in the system ..

So just wondering if anyone here has a design up and working of a filter trap system.

Water will be maximum of 82 c .......and was wondering about perspex / plexy acrylic material would stand up to it .....the idea being that i would be able to see the crud inside of it .

So your ideas and designs are welcome .......may end up buying one..they are about 70 - 120 UK ..but if you guys have something better, unique will consider it as a project .

all the best.markj

Black_Moons
07-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Wiki tells me 'The glass transition temperature of PMMA ranges from 85 to 165 C (185 to 329 F); the range is so wide because of the vast number of commercial compositions. The forming temperature starts at the glass transition temperature and goes up from there'
(Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA), also known as acrylic glass, acrylic, or plexiglas)

Sounds like there might be some acrylic that wound do, but off the shelf stuff may not. Personaly I rememeber forming the stuff quite easily with a heat gun. Gets very soft/brittle near its forming temp. (Shattered a peice or two trying to bend it before it heated up enough)

Id kinda tend toward buying one, or making it outta metal (Glass oil sight gage if you must see inside?). High temps weaken most common plastics, and im not sure how much PSI you gotta withstand in that furness system.