PDA

View Full Version : 123 blocks with metric threads

bob ward
07-13-2010, 05:38 PM
All the 123 blocks I see advertised have 3/8" threads. Does anyone have a source for 123 blocks or 25,50,75 blocks with M10 threads?

MuellerNick
07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Chances are very low, we (Germany) don't know/use 1-2-3 blocks. I have never seen them in any serious catalog.

Nick

John Stevenson
07-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Nick,
You use them in threes, like thread wires but you need bondo to hold them on, or weld them. :D

huntinguy
07-13-2010, 08:11 PM
In Germany and other metric places... wouldn't they be..

25-50-75 blocks:D

I have a set of Enco 1-2-3 blocs, that I assume are metric... must be anyway. I haven't found a bolt that will fit yet :p

doctor demo
07-13-2010, 09:31 PM
I have a set of Enco 1-2-3 blocs, that I assume are metric... must be anyway. I haven't found a bolt that will fit yet :p
You might have the "left hand" threaded ones.:eek:

Steve:cool:

Toolguy
07-13-2010, 10:25 PM
You can make your own with any thread you want. Alternately, you could get a few bolts to fit the ones you have or can buy.

wierdscience
07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
All mine are 3/8-16,but some holes the bolts actually fit and the rest don't.It's mostly the holes near the edges that don't fit,so I assume they shrank egg shaped after quenching.

I fixed a good set by lapping the threads in with coarse lapping compound,cheap allthread and a drill motor.

oldtiffie
07-13-2010, 11:31 PM
All the 123 blocks I see advertised have 3/8" threads. Does anyone have a source for 123 blocks or 25,50,75 blocks with M10 threads?

Bob.

Answer is probably no as they cater to/for the US market.

I too am in OZ and as there is a plentiful supply of cheaper structural grade high-tensile rolled bolts, screws and hex-headed socket-screws, the UNC system suits me better than the metric standard (coarse) threads. Further, all or most of the store-bought tee-nuts and clamp sets etc. are UNC as well.

My metric Chinese mills and rotary table all have tee-slots that suit the Imperial/inch/UNC (ie USA) tee-nuts.

Not all "blocks" have 3/8" threads though all are UNC:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/HF-45%20Mill%20misc/Precision_Blocks1.jpg

J Tiers
07-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Nothing magic about "1,2,3" blocks......... They are just "setup blocks", and presumably some similar device exists elsewhere in a metric form.... perhaps that is where the mythical 25mm cubes that all those apprentices filed out have ended up.....

Just because no "serious" * catalog in the metric euro-zone has them in 1,2,3, does not mean that a similar device does not exist in whatever form.

However, if someone is going to make a frankly inch-based device, they should not be fool enough to then use a metric thread. It is just stupid.

I'd expect 10,20,30 blocks or whatever (if something like them exists) to have metric threads.... naturally. It would only make sense.

But, I understand that socket wrenches in the euro zone may have metric sockets (heck, mine do here), but most or all also have 12.7mm or 9.53mm etc drive squares... Nobody is perfect, I guess.

* Thanks, Nick..... we GOT the point, y'know..... no need to push it in sideways, pal.

MuellerNick
07-14-2010, 03:19 AM
* Thanks, Nick..... we GOT the point, y'know..... no need to push it in sideways, pal.

I'm not pushing in anything in any direction.
They are simply not used here. Must have something to do with tradition. I bet there are other tools that you don't use or know. So nothing to get upset.

Maybe you find something new to you here: http://www.amf.de They are specialized in clamping.

With serious, I just wanted to exclude the one-man-show-importers. The big tool dealers simply don't carry them.

Nick

J Tiers
07-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Possibly so.....

I don't much see the point of the blocks anyhow...... I have a couple pair of them that came in with toolboxes that I bought, etc....

I have used them twice, maybe....

Both times they were the only thing that would work, of all tools available, but ....................

It was the "serious" (that is to say, not american, and fully metric, not like Myanmar) part that I saw....... We know your opinions, and actually I tend to agree, but...... looked like "trolling".

EVguru
07-14-2010, 09:20 AM
They're just another form of parallel, that's how I use mine.

I had a Triumph Cub crankcase half stacked up on them not so long ago so I could bore the oil feed out and save the cases.

MuellerNick
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
It was the "serious" ...

It wasn't meant as an asult. It's OK if you like them and that they are used in your area.
Maybe I would buy them as 25-50-75-blocks? Don't know! Never worked with them, had no chance to fall in love with them.

Nick

ikdor
07-14-2010, 03:23 PM
http://buitelaar.nl/comasy/templates/product.aspx?contentid=237&productid=3171

It is a chinese import store and it has no info on the tolerances. They do come in a leather pouch though :rolleyes:

Igor

morehelium
07-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Bob,

several sources for metric blocks, but none with metric threads.

Try these:
http://www.tfttools.com/123_blocks.htm

http://www.cme-tools.com/cgi-bin/store/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&Category=Precision+Tools&SubCategory=Blocks&SubSubCategory=METRIC+1-2-3+BLOCK+SETS&view_records=Go&nh=1&mh=1

they don't state the thread size, although they might be inch as well.

Chris