PDA

View Full Version : Long Reach Snap Ring Pliers?

madman
07-14-2010, 07:24 AM
For reaching down inside Motorcycle slides and removing the circlips which brand or model of snap ring pliers has anyone found that actually work? I own 5 different types and NONE will do this seemingly simple Job. My latest set by channel Lock seemed to have potential but they also were too large to reach all the way inside the slide to the bottom and remove the Ring. Thanx Mike

Ian B
07-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Mike,

I guess you're referring to the circlips inside the front fork tubes?

Maybe a case of brew yor own - a couple of rods with hardened pins (maybe roll pins) in the ends. Put the pins in the holes in the circlip, then slide a length of (appropriately sized) tube down over the rods, pulling them together.

Or something like that...

Ian

Boucher
07-14-2010, 09:50 AM
The Snap On guy had some that fit some that I needed real bad. They fit and worked great. I had struggled with trying to make some. They worked so well that I didn't mind the rediculose price.

doug931
07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Mike' I boug mine at a BC Bearing supply in Edmonton. You know that you need a large pair of pliers, fixed tips{ .075} and will probably have to bend the pliers below the pivot approx 5 degrees. I seem to recall they cost about $45.oo
Good luck on this. Doug