PDA

View Full Version : Fluted reamers vs D reamers

koda2
07-16-2010, 08:11 AM
When I try to use chucking reamers freehand (i.e. in a drill) to do a final sizing of a hole on parts can't be put in a lathe or mill I occasionally end up with some elongation.

Other than fabricating a bolt-on bushing to stabilize the reamer, is there another way?

It looks like the so called "D" reamers may cut only at the tip. Anybody use these and how well do they work?

Dave A.

Carld
07-16-2010, 08:35 AM
I don't think there is any reasonable way to use a reamer in a hand drill and get a good hole. You would have to use a flexible drive between the drill and reamer and have a fixed pilot/guide over the hole to ream.

Even using a hand reamer with a pilot guide has issues. You may have to live with what your getting.

camdigger
07-16-2010, 10:52 AM
It looks like the so called "D" reamers may cut only at the tip. Anybody use these and how well do they work?

Dave A.

Looks can be decieving. Mine cuts on the flank, but it tapers down to nothing. I suspect the ones with the tapered faces lopped off at 45% cut differently.

juergenwt
07-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Koda2 - There are machine reamers (end cutting) and there are hand reamers with a start taper. You can not use machine reamers free hand.

gary hart
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Have got by using a machine reamer on a thru hole by sliding the part on the shank at back end of the reamer and pull the part thru while the reamer is turning. The shank being smaller in diameter then the reamer. Haven't had a mishap doing this but I'm dumb and lucky.

koda2
07-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Some of the assembly instructions I have call for match drilling two parts together slightly undersize and then a final pass with a reamer. The reamers I have do not have the square end but do have an initial undersize diameter for a half inch or so. This makes them easy to start and turn slowly with a drill. Most of the time it makes a very nice fitting hole for standard size or close tolerance bolts.

The reamers are listed as chucking reamers but they must be hand reamers.
Dave A.

PeteF
07-17-2010, 01:24 AM
I have something like this http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-Attachment-4-Inch-8-Inch-Drills/dp/B000JCIMEA I've never tried it with reamers but from the description you've given it sounds like it may stabilise the drill enough. hardly tool room quality, but I've used mine plenty of times where I simply must take the drill to the job as it won't squeeze under the drill press.

Pete

Edit: Hmm, no sorry, now I look at that link again, mine is different. Basically the same concept but mine takes my portable drill directly and clamps around the collar at the front where the side handle would normally clamp. I would normally use my Metabo drill on that, which is a very good drill with little run-out. The set-up probably looks a bit amateur-hour but I've had very good results with it. It wouldn't take a lot to make up something similar, sorry I can't find one exactly the same as what I use though.