PDA

View Full Version : shortening a battery charging cord

aostling
07-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I intend to take this camera battery charger, for my Olympus E-P2, on a trip to Australia, NZ, and Samoa in September. I always travel with a backpack (with stowaway straps), so I try to save ounces wherever I can. The assemblage shown below weighs 8 ounces. Exactly half of that is in the power cord, so I propose to shorten it, from six feet to about four inches.

I don't have a soldering iron. I know, I know, hard to believe. I went to the sole surviving TV repairman in Tempe and asked him to do the job. "Oh, we don't do that sort of thing," he said.

I don't need a soldering iron, except for this job. Do you suppose I can make do with some crimps?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/poweradapter.jpg

lynnl
07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Huh? ...to save 4 ounces??

You do realize, that the second time you're going to need to use it, the outlet will be blocked by some sort of impediment that permits you to get no closer than 18"? :)

Todd Tolhurst
07-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Got a small propane or butane torch?

portlandRon
You do not need a soldering iron. Just get a replacment male plug for the end that goes in the outlet. Most have screw terminals for the wires some have pins that pierce the wire when you assemble the plug.

winchman
Insulated crimp splices will work fine, but I'd cover them with shrink tubing to provide some strain relief. It's generaly not a good idea to have something dangling from the plug, but that's pretty light.

Are you sure the charger is compatible with the power in the places you're going?

EVguru
07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Cut the cable to length and buy an appropriate screw connect plug when you get to where you're going.

Are you sure the charger is compatible with the power in the places you're going?

Most switched mode supplies these days will cope with 90-270vac(and indeed DC).

dp
07-20-2010, 12:17 PM
You need only one of these:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-print/larger-image.aspx?prodNo=2152

aostling
07-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Just get a replacment male plug for the end that goes in the outlet. Most have screw terminals for the wires some have pins that pierce the wire when you assemble the plug.

That would work. But I think those lamp-style male plugs might be more weight and bulk than desired.

Radio Shack sells a replacement 6-foot cord, for a reasonable price. I might get one of these and try some crimps.

aostling
07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
You need only one of these:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-print/larger-image.aspx?prodNo=2152

Thanks Dennis, I didn't know they came that small. I'm off to the hardware store for this.

ftl
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I did exactly that (put a replacement plug on the end of the existing cord) for my wife's Pentax charger.

It ended up about 2 inches long and is much easier to carry.

I used a low-profile plug with a 90* angle on it, so when it is plugged in it hangs down nicely against the wall.

Black_Moons
07-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Iv actualy seen little molded adapaters that go right to plug from that style jack.

aostling
07-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I used a low-profile plug with a 90* angle on it, so when it is plugged in it hangs down nicely against the wall.

I've installed a 90 plug I found at Home Depot an hour ago. Works fine, of course, but it's slightly larger than I prefer. I'll keep an eye out for the low profile version.

The Artful Bodger
07-20-2010, 02:33 PM
If you use the suggested lamp cord plug with the two parallel flat pins you can probably twist them enough to fit in Aus and NZ which will allow you to ditch that white adapter.

We used to get a lot of Japanese equipement with that type of plug and they were easy to adapt.

Mike Burdick
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
To answer your question...

Crimp on connections will work fine. To make the connections look better and keep them from snagging, use a piece of shrink tube over them as winchman suggested.

If you want to solder them, and don't have a soldering iron, you can do it the "old fashioned" way - jam a piece of metal on an old piece of wood and heat that metal on your stove or whatever you have handy. Maybe you could BBQ your lunch and stick that homemade iron in the charcoal if your wife won't let you in the kitchen.;)

Oops. I see you already solved the problem

The Artful Bodger
07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
To answer your question...

Crimp on connections will work fine. To make the connections look better and keep them from snagging, use a piece of shrink tube over them as winchman suggested.

If you want to solder them, and don't have a soldering iron, you can do it the "old fashioned" way - jam piece of metal on an old piece of wood and heat that metal on your stove or whatever you have handy. Maybe you could BBQ your lunch and stick that homemade iron in the charcoal if your wife won't let you in the kitchen.;)

An easy way to solder two wires without a soldering iron is to twist the wires together leaving generous ends sticking out free. Wrap resin cored solder, not much, around the twisted join then heat the free ends with a lighter or even a match, the heat will conduct and melt the solder, let cool then snip off the blackened free ends.

aostling
07-20-2010, 02:41 PM

Here is the plug I installed. Is yours low-profile 90 plug more compact?

John: I hadn't thought of twisting the ends, to save bringing the NZ-Aussie adapter. That would save another 0.4 ounce.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/90plug.jpg