PDA

View Full Version : Turn your iPad into a Mach3 Pendant

BobWarfield
07-27-2010, 11:55 PM
No Internet connection out by your CNC? No worries, iPad can go WiFi or 3G cell connection. And, it can even access your PC, which opens up a bunch of cool possibilities:

- Use the iPad as a full-featured Mach3 pendant.

- Access software like G-Wizard so you can check your feeds and speeds or do a quick calculation right at the machine.

- Make a quick tweak to your CAM program on the machine in the other room, fire up the DNC and ship the new file to your CNC right from your iPad.

- Read and respond to the latest controversial HSM posts with one hand resting near the "Big Red Button," just in case.

Find out how I did it here:

CNCCookbook: An iPad Pendant for Mach3 (http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCiPad2PC.html)

and you'll soon be doing this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/CNCCookbook/iPad/Little.jpg

Sorry for the somewhat blurry photo, it was dim in my office and I was excited. That's the new Mach Standard Mill screen set running on the iPad.

More testing needed, but for circa $12 (well, sans the cost of the iPad, you but you wanted to get one and write it off as a business expense anyway, right?), this is pretty cool. The biggest issues so far is you have to double tap the "mouse" just right to start a program, and there are no arrow keys, which Mach3 uses for jogging. Just need a slightly updated screenset to optimize for the iPad.

A lot of folks don't like to run the Internet on their Mach3 machine, or may not have Internet in the shop. Here's your chance to access the Internet and your PC software right at the CNC.

Cheers,

BW

macona
07-28-2010, 01:22 AM
I have been using Mocha VNC on my iphone since my first one (2G) and it works pretty well.

But if you saw my pendant, which is IP65 rated, on my mill you would never let your ipad next to your machine. And you just cant beat a MPG for stepping. It dropped edge finding times down a bunch.

MuellerNick
07-28-2010, 01:49 AM
That looks quite cool!
But I don't understand why one needs an eMail account for it. Anyhow.

I think the iPad is gonna make it into many shops. I do have mine since day 1 it arrived in Europe (but only by chance). Last Saturday, I bought a Mac mini, just to make software development on it for the iPad. I see a lot of potential for shop related software on the iPad ...

Nick

Teenage_Machinist
07-28-2010, 02:32 PM
That's pretty cool.

MVCalypso
07-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Bob,
Look as if the iPad can handle the 12x9 screens for MSM - are you running the 10x7 because that is the shop pc resolution?
Dave

Toolguy
07-29-2010, 06:40 PM
What happens to the machine and the part if it picks up a virus off the internet?