PDA

View Full Version : Would this attack make you feel better?

oldtiffie
07-29-2010, 03:15 AM
This came in today.

I thought like to read this and weep for what might have been.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/hack-makes-atm-vomit-cash-black-hat-339304869.htm

I do hope that I have not caused any "up-set tummies" here.

Forrest Addy
07-29-2010, 04:38 AM
Nothing so high tech at the local ATM when I reported of lax security. About 20 year ago - correction 34 yeal ago - my local branch had an externally accessed ATM under a shelter. One night I noticed a gap on the left side and while the machine was thinking I poked at it. There was a click and the works popped out about 1/4". I gave it a hard push back and it clicked again latching firmly. I shrugged, got my money and left. I called the bank the next day and expressed my concerns. Yeah, yeah, thanks, goodbye

A week later the same deal but this time I pulled open the drawer about 2 feet and I was looking right at the currency box thingy. It had a sight glass window on it showing about a 10" stack of $20's - about $50,000 would be my guess. I could reach in and pluck it out. I couldn't believe the bank had blown off my message. I couldn't believe someone hadn't taken advantage of the opportunity. I called the cops from across the street. When the cop showed up naturally I was treated like a bank robber (hair down my back, full beard, army field jacket, appearances are everything). I suggested the cop first call the bank emergency number, secure the area, and THEN hassle me - I was a concerned citizen not a perp, dammit. Think about it: I made the call.

This time the bank fixed the problem and of course for my public spirited concern for the safety of bank assets I got a reward? No. A letter of thanks? No. Snake-eyed looks for years after for embarrassing the bank? Yup, you guessed it. The bank had to pay a fine and the newspaper got hold of it but without my name, fortunately. I guess heads rolled and it was my fault. No good deed goes unpunished.

Richard-TX
07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
In situations like that I am much less subtle. I would have waited until the bank was open, grabbed the cash box, walked into the bank, asked for the manager and set it on the counter and said something like, "You really should lock your ATM machines." and walked out. It would be more beneficial to have a few tellers around to witness it too.

Believe me, that would get some attention.

Dave Converse
07-29-2010, 09:09 AM
In situations like that I am much less subtle. I would have waited until the bank was open, grabbed the cash box, .............
Wow! Look at the trouble Forrest got in and he never even touched the cash. That doesn't seem like a smart play here.

Peter.
07-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Is there anyone here willing to 'fess up that they would have cleaned out the machine? :D

Your Old Dog
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Is there anyone here willing to 'fess up that they would have cleaned out the machine? :D

It's all a matter of character, was any one watching? :D

Had to cash a monthly paycheck and the teller was on the phone. Took forever to complete the transaction so I stomped out of there po'd. Got in the car and counted the money. She had paid me twice! I walked back in and got back in line again. It was my turn and another teller was going to do mine. I said "no, I have to see her". She was watching and still on the phone. I get to her window, she puts down the phone and I said "Miss, there's been a mistake". She got extremely defensive and said, "oh no, I counted that out twice" in a nasty tone. I said, "okay, you sure did, and the error is in my favor, have a good day. Her mood immediately changed and I told her I was hoping to correct this without her boss knowing about it. Just then someone I assume was a manager looked over her shoulder and asked "Is there something wrong here? :D If you can't count money and talk to your friends at the same time then maybe you should be more polite to customers who come back.

Weston Bye
07-29-2010, 04:13 PM

If I were dishonest and had the opportunity, I would still remember the cops who were "tuning up" Rodney King. There is always a watcher or camera somewhere. I would never get away with it.

Peter.
07-29-2010, 04:23 PM
My late father found one day that the Department of Work & Pensions had put 40,000 into his bank instead of 400.00. He went to his bank and told them to give it back, and even the lady at customer services suggested he put it into a high-interest account and return it only after they asked, as it might take months or even years and he would accrue a bit of interest in the meantime. He wasn't having any of that and insisted she contact the DWP and have it transferred back, which she did.

I'm not sure I would have done the same in his situation. He was terminally ill at the time and just scraping by. I'm sure the temptation would have been strong in me to 'live it up' in my last months on the back of a government depatment's clerical mistake.

oil mac
07-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Banks nowadays, do not deserve any help from their customers, Going into my local branch 30 odd years ago, was a delight, the old teller who had many years service, was one of lifes most helpfull souls one could hope to meet Nowadays with the banks "modern makeover"-- gone are the nice mahogany counters, artistic flowing ironwork, black &white marble tiles, most ornate lamps and so on, All gone into a skip! but with that has gone any degree of help, commonsense,etc
Replaced with carpets noddy type desks and wage slaves who churn out the worst drivel one could ask for , Not a clue only revomit company policy!
Three weeks ago, my son had his card skimmed in spite of being carefull, talk about someone having a real hassle, his bank account was emptied During the protracted negotiations, the banks head office fraud dept stopped the bad guys getting away with the money and were pretty good, The big problem was the local dim wit in his branch screwing up the system which had been set in place and causing more grief
couple this with the fact of one high ranking Scottish bank executive recently flung out for bringing the corporation almost to its knees, and walks away with a pay off that would do as a ransom to free an Indian potentate:confused: :mad:

Deja Vu
07-29-2010, 05:43 PM
It's all a matter of character, was any one watching? :D

Had to cash a monthly paycheck and the teller was on the phone. Took forever to complete the transaction so I stomped out of there po'd. Got in the car and counted the money. She had paid me twice! I walked back in and got back in line again. It was my turn and another teller was going to do mine. I said "no, I have to see her". She was watching and still on the phone. I get to her window, she puts down the phone and I said "Miss, there's been a mistake". She got extremely defensive and said, "oh no, I counted that out twice" in a nasty tone. I said, "okay, you sure did, and the error is in my favor, have a good day. Her mood immediately changed and I told her I was hoping to correct this without her boss knowing about it. Just then someone I assume was a manager looked over her shoulder and asked "Is there something wrong here? :D If you can't count money and talk to your friends at the same time then maybe you should be more polite to customers who come back.
That happened to me too....only I had put the money from my cashed checks into a money bag and when I got home tossed it on the table.
Soon I got a call from a worried sounding lady asking if I had received the correct amount from my recent transaction. I said that I thought so but would check. Sure enough, she had given me double. So I had to run back downtown to even things up.

oldbikerdude37
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I hauled a truckload of old wire fencing to a scrapyard and got a check for $12.50. so I go to thier bank (bank of America) and those pricks charged me $7 to cash a $12.50 check from thier stinking bank.

What a pack of crooks. Bank of America stinks.

scatter cat
07-29-2010, 10:22 PM
How about pulling up to the ATM and finding a large ring of keys laying on top that fits all the locks and the ATM :D Didn"t get a reward for returning them either:rolleyes: