PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson 1000

jb-mck
08-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Greetings:

I have a SW 1000 12 ga. shotgun that I was given back in 1981 or so. I love this gun! The problem I have that miss fires frequently. If I clean it really well, I will get about 15-25 rounds through with no problems. After that, the second shell does not want to fire. There is a light strike on the primer of the shell.

The problem seems to be less severe with different shells. The heavier the load, the better it works.

Years ago, I was a young, I tried dissembling the mag tube by using a screw driver stuck through the side slots on the tube. I ended up warping the tube making the gas cylinder hard to slide. I honed it the best I could but I never got it quite right. I think this is related to my problem.

Also, this gun has had many, many, many shells through it. It has much wear. I found a site that sells a new bolt group (firing pin, bolt, ejector) but nobody I have found has a mag tube. My plan was just to replace all parts mentioned.

Questions:

Does my plan to fix sound reasonable?
If mag tube can't be found, can I fabricate, if so, what material?
Anyone know where I can find the parts?

I realize it will be difficult to diagnose the problem based on this info. I would appreciate any guidance I can get.

JM

mcskipper
08-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't know for sure but I think you shotgun was made by Beretta and is close to an AL-2

All your problems may go back to your youth.

That gas cylinder MUST move freely.
The slits along the sides are to rotate the cylinder so if it rotates to a tight spot it does not give the push it needs to cycle. That is why heavy loads work better, bigger push.
The ribs around the outside of the cylinder is the gas rings and MUST be sharp not rounded off to work properly.

This just thinking on the net, A light firing pin hit could be due to the gas system problem. Due to the timing needed the bolt may not be closed the last few .001" but the gun will still fire.

Parts can still be had for AL-2's