PDA

View Full Version : Really OT - rhymes

Forrest Addy
08-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Got into a debate with a couple of kids at a diner. They were argung over what rhyme with "orange" and concluded there were no words in the English language. I've been down this road and knew of a few. I butted in with "strange," "range," "mange," "change." They did not appreciate that I blew their sophomoric assertion out of the water. Driving home I though of bec le mange (cooking sause), change, estrange, grange. There's probably lots more.

Ever wonder why some baseless assertions are accepted without serious challenge? Politicians and advertisementx depend on them.

SteveF
08-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Ever wonder why some baseless assertions are accepted without serious challenge? Politicians and advertisementx depend on them.

An even sadder state of affairs now that we have the Internet and most facts can be confirmed or denied in under 60 seconds.

Steve.

brian Rupnow
08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Forrest Addy---Your kids were correct. There are no words that when pronounced correctly ryme with orange.---Brian

SGW
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Orange -- door hinge.

Close enough for me.

garagemark
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
It's a pretty well known fact that there are no words in the english language that rhyme with orange.

You might want to prove us wrong, but I'm with Brian on this one.

oldtiffie
08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Rhyming_Dictionary

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=orange+rhyme&aq=1s&aqi=g-s3g-m1&aql=&oq=orange+%2B+ry&gs_rfai=&fp=266f2fb68f6eb4c

tyrone shewlaces
08-05-2010, 10:49 AM
"Orange you going to mow the lawn today?" (Honey Do...)
"Orange you the guy who paints everything green?"
"Orange you ever going to pay me the $20 you still owe me"

Plenty.

TGTool
08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I just read the book Freakonomics and he blows several "facts" of conventional wisdom out of the water so maybe the orange rhyme should get attention too.

Among the amusing tidbits were a card from someone who was upset her niece had given a child a name pronounced she-tade, I presume a takoff on Sinead O'Connor or some such but was spelled ****head. There's a case for child cruelty. Then a couple other kids got names taking off from Angelo, at least in pronunciation, but were actually spelled Orangejello and Lemonjello. Sheesh. Maybe the "Boy Named Sue" principle will take over.

boslab
08-05-2010, 11:24 AM
well carrots are oranger than orange, i think, but my meds may be wareing off
mark

Ken_Shea
08-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Orange rymes with "strange," "range," "mange," "change.":confused:

Forest, you can kiss that job writing short poems for Hallmark good bye :D

bruto
08-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I have to go with the kids and brian here. Rhyme is in sound not spelling.

I think the "door hinge" suggestion is the closest I've seen. A stretch if you come from a region that pronounces the "h," but you could almost make it work.

lynnl
08-05-2010, 12:23 PM
How'bout "ore range"? ie. the range over which a given ore might be found. :)

CountZero
08-05-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/page/103

dp
08-05-2010, 12:43 PM
did someone say "rhymes"?

Broken Down on a Snowy Winter's Eve (with apologies to Robert Frost)

Whose bike this is I think I know.
But he's is drunk and sleeping, so;
He will not see me stopping here
To siphon off some gas to go.

My shovelhead is prone, I fear
To stop without a gas pump near
Between the wood and frozen lake
So far from home without a beer.

It shuts down hard and gives a shake
As if to rub in my mistake.
The only other sound's the weep
Of fluid dripping from my brake.

My pocket's empty, dark, and deep,
But I have gas enough to keep
Me rolling miles before I sleep,
So many miles before I sleep.

-- dp

Oldbrock
08-05-2010, 12:51 PM
There was once a young queer from Rangoon
Took a lesbian up to his room
They argued all night
About who had the right
To do what, and with what, and to whom

Forrest Addy
08-05-2010, 04:28 PM
First a disclamer. I'm not poet or am I expert on the topic but I do have a few creds and some thoughts.

Obviously the precision of the rhyme is the question here. "Orange" in my part of the counry rhymes faily well with "range" but the vowel sound shades a trifle towards "sponge". That is when it isn't pronounced "ornj".

If pure rhyme ruled poetry and song lyrics none would ever get written. Every rhyme scheme is slightly (or excruciatingly) strained at times. There are also conventions allowing contorted syntax and labored word order for the rhyme and meter to work out. In the poems I've read (more than a few: I used to record poetry on tape back in my salad days when I had the VOICE) the rules seemed to be elastic particulary among the better known poets. Longfellow and Kipling for example reads wonderfully but take a few verses out of context and more likely than not you'll find a few clunkers. Put it all together and you have spoken music. Art is like that.

So in the context of poetry as written "orange" rhymes well enough with "strange" etc. That i, if the pairing in verses scans, make sense, and has euphonious merit. If the rest of the verse is a dud no brilliant rhyme pair will save it.

Mcgyver
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I just read the book Freakonomics and he blows several "facts" of conventional wisdom out of the water so maybe the orange rhyme should get attention too.

I liked that book a lot, frankly surprising it sold so well given most people see the world as they want to not the way it is.....it factually tore into a lot pet beliefs. Its a bit restorative to to faith; economics doing what its supposed to do rather than political misuse

SGW
08-05-2010, 05:21 PM
While we're on rhymes, aside from Roger Miller rhyming "purple" with "maple surple," is there anything else that rhymes with purple?

G1K
08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Nurple

Forceful pressure applied to one's nipple by another living thing. Varieties of nurples are defined by the color of the skin surrounding the areola post-nurple, the ideal post-nurple coloration being violet; hence, 'purple nurple.'
Popping out of the shadows, he deftly clamped his thumb and forefinger down upon Dave's nipple- a purple nurple had been administered.

In the urban dictionary, probably not in the Oxford...

R

.RC.
08-05-2010, 06:19 PM
What about lorenge as in mouth lorenge. The things you suck for a sore throat...

.RC.
08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
is there anything else that rhymes with purple?

durple???

Anyone know of a word that rhymes with bunt?? I cannot think of any..

bruto
08-05-2010, 06:26 PM
First a disclamer. I'm not poet or am I expert on the topic but I do have a few creds and some thoughts.

Obviously the precision of the rhyme is the question here. "Orange" in my part of the counry rhymes faily well with "range" but the vowel sound shades a trifle towards "sponge". That is when it isn't pronounced "ornj".

If pure rhyme ruled poetry and song lyrics none would ever get written. Every rhyme scheme is slightly (or excruciatingly) strained at times. There are also conventions allowing contorted syntax and labored word order for the rhyme and meter to work out. In the poems I've read (more than a few: I used to record poetry on tape back in my salad days when I had the VOICE) the rules seemed to be elastic particulary among the better known poets. Longfellow and Kipling for example reads wonderfully but take a few verses out of context and more likely than not you'll find a few clunkers. Put it all together and you have spoken music. Art is like that.

So in the context of poetry as written "orange" rhymes well enough with "strange" etc. That i, if the pairing in verses scans, make sense, and has euphonious merit. If the rest of the verse is a dud no brilliant rhyme pair will save it.
I still would disagree, because "orange" is a two syllable word with emphasis always on the first. A single syllable word that resembles the second syllable of orange would be a poor match even if you stretched the pronunciation to the breaking point. "Range" is a far less apt rhyme to "orange" than a word like "storage."

rohart
08-05-2010, 06:36 PM
There was a letter in my local paper today telling of a couple who called their daughters Peggy and Sally.

Then they emigrated to New Zealand, and found their children's names had changes to Piggy and Silly.

Your Old Dog
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Actually guys, he just winged one over your head I think!

If range is pronounced as it is,
why isn't o-range pronounced similarly? :D

ulav8r
08-07-2010, 03:54 PM
bunt punt runt

SGW
08-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Ringer, I think it's "losenge," but that still works. An "orange losenge" sounds like it rhymes to me.

Ken_Shea
08-07-2010, 04:03 PM
While we're on rhymes, aside from Roger Miller rhyming "purple" with "maple surple," is there anything else that rhymes with purple?

"Urple"

Mix of Pink and Purple

Pete F
08-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Tom Lehrer:

Eating an orange
While making love
Makes for bizarre
enjoyment thereof.

Clever guy.

-Pete

winchman
08-07-2010, 07:39 PM
We've got a green Doringer:

http://www.doringer.com/images/D350_Big.jpg

I'd like it better if it was oranger.

Weston Bye
08-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Comparing an apple to an orange, you see
is like comparing Adele to Lorraine, gee!
You ask who these ladies are?
I don't know
I just met them in a bar.

AD5MB
08-07-2010, 08:03 PM
is there anything else that rhymes with purple?

curple. a word with more than one meaning

in fashion, the line where cheek meets thigh.

some horse related meanings too

A.K. Boomer
08-08-2010, 05:37 AM
You guys are really getting freaky ----- really...

Peter.
08-08-2010, 05:53 AM
durple???

Front, although according to the oxford dictionary link above it isn't actually a full or even a half-rhyme :confused:

dp
08-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Nothing rhymes with "orange". I read it on the Internet:

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=orange&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l

lynnl
08-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Three come immediately to mind: punt, runt, and a third one, that I won't mention here.

jack3140
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
there was a young lady from madras who had a cute little ass not round and pink as you may think but was grey had long ears and ate grass well it rhymes lol

Forrest Addy
08-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Ringer: Rhymes for "bunt" "stunt," "grunt, "runt," "shunt," "hunt" That's genuine homophonic rhymes off the top of my head. I'm sure there's lots more.

Frank Ford
08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Well. . .

If he who sells what isn't his'n
Must buy it back or go to prison

Then, maybe a burp'll
Make a rhyme with purple

doctor demo
08-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Nothing rhymes with "orange". I read it on the Internet:

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=orange&typeofrhyme=perfect&org1=syl&org2=l
Don't believe everything You read on the net.
Norange:D
Steve

gwilson
08-08-2010, 08:41 PM
You guys are really reaching for it.:) Nothing in the correctly spoken ENGLISH language rhymes with orange. that cut off saw doesn't have an English name on it.

TGTool
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Well. . .

If he who sells what isn't his'n
Must buy it back or go to prison

Then, maybe a burp'll
Make a rhyme with purple

That sounds like it ought to have Burma Shave at the end. Well, I guess that dates me too.

gnm109
08-08-2010, 09:59 PM
What is the rhyme for porringer? (1)
The king he had a daughter fair
And gave the Prince of Orange her

(1) A shallow cup or bowl with a handle

I tried....found on a rhyming dictionary. I conclude that there is no rhyming word for orange.

sasquatch
08-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Ok,
Just a quick little rhyme an old craftsman used to sing and do a little dance to, upon his completeting some difficult job no one else would tackle.
Us young guys got many laughs from this guy in his 70,s.

There was a young girl from Toronto,
Who was very hard to get onto,
But one you got there, it was covered in hair,
And she jumped and bucked like a bronco.:cool:

jugs
08-09-2010, 05:12 AM
Here's a little poem I read somewhere about the spell checker, it's quite amusing.

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.