PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw

Black_Moons
08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi, im restoring a beaver 3300 wood bandsaw, 14" model.. And im wondering what kinda blades I should get for it? Im kinda clueless as to what skip/wavy/straight tooth profiles are good for, and exactly what TPI I should be getting for what kinda work. (Likey going to use it to resaw 1" to 6" lumber)

Herm Williams
08-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I would look at very few teeth per inch. when the gullet packs full of sawdust the blade don't cut, that sawdust/swarf has to be carried out of the cut thus slowing the cut. doall tech said three or four teeth on the material at one time.
re

chrisfournier
08-07-2010, 09:45 PM
That will be a great all round saw for you. I'd recommend a 1/2" bi-metal variable pitch 4/6 tpi blade. I use this a my go to blade for general work in the wood shop. It's an all rounder that can do a decent job of cutting curves and it'll resaw up to 6" no sweat. It last about 10 times longer than a "high carbon" blade so the price premium is well worth it.

Duffy
08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
BM:- There is a Canadian supplier of bandsaw blades, primarily to woodworkers, trade name is Viking. They are EXCELLENT blades. I recommend a 3TPI 3/8". And be VERY careful resawing red cedar. It is so soft, you tend to feed too fast. I learned at the expense of a 3/4HP Taiwanese motor-it did not have a thermal overload.