PDA

View Full Version : ot new cars

wtrueman
08-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi all: This has maybe been discussed: how come we have regressed re a push-button start as advertised in some new cars? BTW, I still like the push-button, separate from the key, start. Why you may ask. Because with the key-on, on the right side of the steering column, and the starter buton on the left of the column, little kids and dumb friends could not start your car when you are/were getting belted in. In any case I think, maybe, that "what was old is new". What do you think? Wayne.

dp
08-13-2010, 01:21 AM
When I first learned to drive, many cars had push-to-start buttons. It was on the floor, and you shoved it in with your shoe. That's where the high-beam switch was, too, different shoe.

What comes around, goes around.

doctor demo
08-13-2010, 02:11 AM
When I first learned to drive, many cars had push-to-start buttons. It was on the floor, and you shoved it in with your shoe.
What comes around, goes around.
So what is next... hand operated windshield wipers , rumble seats, suicide doors ? Oh, Oh and a separate door key and ignition key.

Steve

EVguru
08-13-2010, 05:30 AM
So what is next... hand operated windshield wipers , rumble seats, suicide doors ? Oh, Oh and a separate door key and ignition key.

Steve

Rear hinged doors (aka suicide doors) are already used on a number of coupe's and the Vauxhall Meriva MPV, they make access a lot easier, the reason they were used in the first place.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/vauxhall/vauxhall_images/vauxhall-meriva-21-06-10.jpg

Once effective anti-burst locks were developed, there was no real safetly dissadvantage to rear hinged doors.

Circlip
08-13-2010, 05:44 AM
how come we have regressed re a push-button start as advertised in some new cars?

Same as ALL the other "Gizmo" must haves.

"Hey Joe, how about if we -----------":rolleyes:

Regards Ian.

Dr Stan
08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi all: This has maybe been discussed: how come we have regressed re a push-button start as advertised in some new cars?

They are using RFID technology which is more secure than the chip in the key. Also makes it more difficult to lock you keys in the car. :D

bruto
08-13-2010, 11:03 AM
My first question is why it should be considered "regressing" to reintroduce something that might well be considered a better idea that was dropped. Advantages of safety as well as wiring layout and switch longevity seem fairly easy to find.

I learned to drive on cars with a starter button, and always thought the arrangement made sense.

Falcon67
08-13-2010, 02:56 PM
About every race car starts with a push button :cool:

winchman
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM
I see big toggle switches on the NASCAR racecars.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/Craftsman-Truck-Interior-Dash-Drwg1-2000-1.gif

No chance of that on a mass production street vehicle.

krutch
08-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I've been led to believe the reason dimmer switches went back to the floor is because too many blondes were found having accidents at night with their foot caught in the steering wheel.
Just saying....

saltmine
08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Regressing? Sure, why not? We've already got push button starters, and might get headlamp dimmer switches returned to the floor...Heck, we might even get back to acetylene headlamps if the "tree huggers" have their way.

We're also driving around on 24" wheels...even though the Model "T" had 30" wood spoked wheels. (later models had 21" wheels)

I'm waiting for them to put the throttle back on the steering wheel, and pedals to shift the transmission on the floor.

The Model "T" had a hand crank to begin with....much more difficult to use than a starter button. And two 9" external band mechanical brakes.
I can imagine it would be interesting to try to bring a 4000lb model "T" Touring car down from it's theoretical top speed of 45 mph with two tiny mechanical band brakes...I guess one had to be in pretty good condition to start and drive a Model "T".
Of course, regressing don't always work. The Ford Model "T" had an EPA estimated fuel economy rating of 18 in the city and 21 out o the highway....no small task when you consider the EPA was founded on December 2, 1970.