PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here ever moved a K.O. Lee B2060?

DICKEYBIRD
08-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I looked at a one today at a fellow home machinist's shop and it looks to be in decent condition for a fair price but it's HEAVY....1100+ lbs.:eek: Much heavier by far than anything I've moved into my shop so far.

The upper part looks like it comes off the heavy cast iron base to split the load somewhat with the removal of 4 bolts . I'm worried about how to rig the upper section so it can be lifted with an automotive "cherry picker" I have access to. Anybody know of any cast-in rigging holes or have any 1st hand moving tips for this beast? I'm excited about the possibility of finally getting a chunk of real American iron.:)

4GSR
08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
The K.O.Lee grinders are fairly rugged, not too small, and easy to break down into smaller pieces for handling. Don't let the weight of the table or base fool you, they are farly heavy. A engine hoist can be handy for moving it around and maybe picking it up off a small trailer.
Not aware of any rigging holes in the base/cabinet for bars. As I said, take it apart as much as you can and haul it in pieces so that way nothing get tore up by picking up as a complete unit. If you have a manual to the grinder, it should give you detailed instructions on lifting handling the grinder.

Go for it!!!

Ken

oldtiffie
08-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Pics will help.

Any help?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machinery-sale-wanted/two-k-o-lee-tool-cutter-grinders-b360-b2060-201655/

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&source=hp&q=K.O.+Lee+B2060&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=266f2fb68f6eb4c

metalmagpie
08-15-2010, 01:45 AM
I had a small KO Lee once. Those can be moved safely in one piece by slipping a piece of 1/2" steel plate (mine was 12x30") through the gap between the grinder and the base unit so it sticks out both sides. Then it can be picked with a forklift easily, or, with 2 slings, can be picked by an overhead hook (e.g. engine hoist).

Don't know if that will work with their tool & cutter grinder, but this is what their documentation suggested for my grinder.

metalmagpie

MuellerNick
08-15-2010, 05:24 AM
but it's HEAVY....1100+ lbs.

Relax! That's not heavy. Weight is not the problem, the tools you have or lack thereof are the problem.
Personally, I wouldn't take anything apart as long as you don't have to (within the range of your tools). You might just take off the table (depends on how it is constructed, on grinders it often just sits on top).

Basically, there are two critical phases:
Get it into the van/onto the trailer and then out/off again.
If you have an engine hoist with enough capacity, you have won. Add a selection of lifting slings and a huge dose of caution and the baby is yours.

Nick

lazlo
08-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Milton, like Nick says, 1100 lbs isn't heavy. For a machinist anyway :p

Two things to watch on these smaller grinders: with the table and/or saddle (in the case of a surface ginder) removed, the center of gravity is several inches behind the spindle. They're a lot easier to lift with the table on.

I can't remember if the B2060 has ball ways? If it does, remove the table and the balls during transport, or the hardened balls will dimple the cast iron ways.

Is this Lane's 2060?

DICKEYBIRD
08-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Milton, like Nick says, 1100 lbs isn't heavy. For a machinist anyway :p

Two things to watch on these smaller grinders: with the table and/or saddle (in the case of a surface ginder) removed, the center of gravity is several inches behind the spindle. They're a lot easier to lift with the table on.

I can't remember if the B2060 has ball ways? If it does, remove the table and the balls during transport, or the hardened balls will dimple the cast iron ways.

Is this Lane's 2060?Me, a machinist? I wish!

According to what I've found so far yes, it has ball ways. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure it was moved to where it's sitting now in 1 piece so I hope it isn't hurt. Doesn't seem to be.

I wish it was Lane's because I'd know it would be in great shape. This one's dirty and hasn't been used in while. The spindle turns smoothly at hand spinning speeds 'cuz there's no 3-phase power around to run it up with. The hand wheels all turn smoothly with the appropriate parts moving smoothly.

The main thing I'm worried about in the moving process is that the garage it's stored in sits behind the house in an older section of the city and the driveway was made for very narrow cars (Model T's?). It's also uphill and a bit bumpy. No way I can back my buddy's car trailer up that thing or his duelie pickup by itself for that matter.:eek:

I go to sleep and wake up thinking about the thing and how to move it with the equipment and helpers I have available to me. It'll come to me, I hope.:)

MuellerNick
08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
If you have some means to lift it onto a pallet, bolt/tie it to the pallet, then you can move it quite securely with a pallet$howsitcalled. Just lift the pallet a bit. Before the machine tilts over, the pallet will get contact to the ground.

Nick

doctor demo
08-15-2010, 06:33 PM
The main thing I'm worried about in the moving process is that the garage it's stored in sits behind the house in an older section of the city and the driveway was made for very narrow cars (Model T's?). It's also uphill and a bit bumpy. No way I can back my buddy's car trailer up that thing or his duelie pickup by itself for that matter.:eek:

Commercial Roofing contractors around here use what looks like a Radio Flier wagon on steroids to move heavy rolls of roof membrane around on top of nearly flat roofs. Nice large pneumatic tires for smoothing out the bumps in Your case. See if You can borrow or rent one, You can use it to move in the hoist and move out the grinder. I wouldn't try the pallet jack on rough terrain .

Steve

lane
08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Wish I could tell you how to move it . Not that hard ,have moved mine and a 7-18 surface grinder which is harder . Use gap between grinder body and base as lift point. Remove table and crank collum all way up and pull out.
I just sold my Van norman last week and moved it across my yard by my self.Out of shop bown 4 inches and across 25 feet of grass to driveway . 2000plus pounds not a easy task . But you MUST HAVE DETERMATION. And the willing nesst to do .
Will need engine hoist slings chain pry bars a mule if possiable and plenty of wooden blocks different sizes. With these few tools I can move just about and thing, and so can you. Good luck. Plus if your ancestors were Egeption it helps.

lazlo
08-15-2010, 10:25 PM
I just sold my Van norman last week and moved it across my yard by my self.

I'm sorry to hear that Lane? Are you upgrading it with something else?

Plus if your ancestors were Egeption it helps.

LOL! I've often wished that my ancestors were Egyptian :)

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/Great%20Mill%20Swap/

RWL
08-16-2010, 12:48 AM
I moved a BA900 tool and cutter grinder by myself in May. There is space between the machine and the stand to pass a sling. Use two slings so that it's suspended evenly when you pick it up with your engine hoist. My recollection is that it was about 800 lbs. I'm not sure if the 2060 was heavier. They are top heavy so take it easy around corners if you haul it in a pickup truck. I brought mine home in the bed of a 2007 Toyota Tacoma.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/RWL51/KO%20Lee%20Tool%20and%20Cutter%20Grinder/01ArrivalinbackyardSmall.jpg

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/RWL51/KO%20Lee%20Tool%20and%20Cutter%20Grinder/10TruckawaygrinderhangingSmall.jpg

Mcgyver
08-16-2010, 09:38 AM
There may be some largish holes going through the base casting parallel to the table - these are there for lifting. I have the chevalier knock off and thats how its lifted. put some bars though them, sling and the machine can be easily lifted. This for getting it on/off a truck/trailer via crane, forklift, engine hoist or gantry.....Around the shop, a home made toe jack (pry bar will do but is more of a pita) and rollers let me move all my stuff by myself, up to the 5100 lb lathe. Just be careful, and go slowly lots of machines are top heavy

As noted, take the table off, there's nothing holding it in place but gravity and you don't want to either lose it on the highway or have it bouncing around damaging the ways