PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a propane torch

Orrin
08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I am in search of some advice. I need to get a good high-BTU propane torch for silver soldering. My hand-held canister types are too small, so I've made-do by courting oxy-acetylene disaster. It's just too hot.

1) Does anyone know of a Sievert dealer in the USA? I'd buy Sievert equipment if convenient.

2) My second choice would be Goss. Does anyone use Goss equipment? If so, what does your kit consist of? Goss offers a bewildering array of choices.

http://www.gossonline.com/site/soldering-heating_kits.php

a) What would be preferable, Goss threaded handles and tips; or
Goss snap-in handles and tips?

b) What would be preferable, pencil-type tips or "brush" tips. The
Goss brush tips bear a close resemblance to some of the Sieverts
that I've seen. I realize pencil tips focus the heat better; but, I don't
want to cope with a high velocity flame that blows flux and solder
all over the place. I suspect that it will boil down to using brush tips
for pre-heating and pencil tips for the actual soldering.

3) An on-line source mentioned Victor Turbo Torches; but, I'm finding their Web site less friendly than Goss's. So, I've not been able to get much information about their equipment.

http://www.thermadyne.com/turbotorch/

4) Does anyone have any more information or advice to give?

I'll be posting this on the welding forum, too.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Orrin

Black_Moons
08-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Have you tryed just switching to propylene(?) assuming your torch is rated to handle it.. Or maybe considered a oxy/propane torch?

I havent had any problem silver soldering with my cheapo, $20 brass propane torch. takes a little while to heat up but it definately gets there. Maybe you are holding it too close or too far for optimial heat? The heat really depends on proper distance.

RWO
08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Propane /oxy will work, but the next logical step is air/acetylene. You already have the acet. tank so just get the torch and you are set. air/acet. is popular with plumbers and AC people to braze copper tubing and will outperform any air/propane rig. I see air/acet. torch kits on ebay all the time.

RWO

Rusty Marlin
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Or how about just a MAPP torch. I've given up on propane completely and just use MAPP tanks.

Bruce Griffing
08-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Ed Hume wrote an article reviewing propane torches in either HSM or MW about 18 months ago. He dealt with the issues of silver soldering (brazing). He builds large locos from scratch and uses a lot of silver solder. His work is excellent. I don't remember for sure, but I think he listed sources for the Seivert.

Orrin
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Thank you, all, for your replies. I appreciate your going to the effort. At the risk of sounding ungrateful or argumentative, Iíll respond to some of your suggestions.

First off, I apologize for not providing more information. I have a copper boiler kit and it is going to require some serious BTUs, but nothing in comparison to another project I have in mind. It involves 6-inch dia. copper pipe. Besides needing a sizeable torch, I suspect Iíll need supplemental heat, probably from a gas-fired barbeque or weed burner or similar.

Black Moons, thank you for your suggestion. Iíd rather not switch to any other type of gas, however. I always have propane on hand, so it would be most convenient. I also suspect it might be the cheapest fuel gas.

RWO, you might have something, there. I will pick up some propane tips for my oxy/acetylene rig; but, I look at it this way: Air is free, so why do I need the added expense of buying oxygen if I can avoid it? Let me know where my logic has gone wrong. I have a Marquette air/acetylene rig I picked up used, somewhere. I donít know whether it is defective or has too small of a tip, because the flame is very tiny. Iíve been looking for a source of tips.

Rusty, you have a valid suggestion; but, Iím a cheapskate and would rather use propane and avoid getting into extra fuel gases, inventory, storage, etc.

Bruce, thank you for the reminder. I have the magazine, so will consult it.

Thank you, all. Iíll be grateful for and will welcome more information and advice.

Best regards,
Orrin

polepenhollow
08-15-2010, 04:35 PM
For Silver Soldering I use Mapp Gas and I build myself a protective enclosure, usually a base back and two sides, and need be, a small roof of fire brick set on the bench. I leave the front or a side open for access w/ the torch and solder.
When i am done, it all goes back into a drawer and the fire brick gets put away.
K Lively

Dr Stan
08-15-2010, 07:45 PM
RWO, you might have something, there. I will pick up some propane tips for my oxy/acetylene rig; but, I look at it this way: Air is free, so why do I need the added expense of buying oxygen if I can avoid it? Let me know where my logic has gone wrong. I have a Marquette air/acetylene rig I picked up used, somewhere. I donít know whether it is defective or has too small of a tip, because the flame is very tiny. Iíve been looking for a source of tips.

Air/acetylene is also my suggestion. It sounds like you just have the wrong size tip as this type of rig is often used by jewelers who would want the small tip. Try finding larger tips and see how this works out.

Try www.cyberwelder.com or www.uswelder.com

doctor demo
08-15-2010, 09:41 PM
First off, I apologize for not providing more information. I have a copper boiler kit and it is going to require some serious BTUs, but nothing in comparison to another project I have in mind. It involves 6-inch dia. copper pipe.

Iíll be grateful for and will welcome more information and advice.
Orrin
Orrin, I don't know if You have a Tig Welder as it was not part of Your original question. Tig welding copper pipe works slick. I have done some 3'' pipe to flange welds for a local Plumber 3 or 4 different times. I have even made up some blanks for the flanges, filled with water and hooked up a porta power and gauge and tested to 350 psi. for Him.

Steve

JCavalry
08-15-2010, 10:21 PM
> 1) Does anyone know of a Sievert dealer in the USA? I'd buy Sievert equipment if convenient.

Try http://ngtmodels.com/sievert-torches.htm. That's where I bought my stuff. They've been advertising in Steam in the Garden but I don't think I've seen them in any of the Village Press mags.

JCav

MichaelP
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I recently bought TurboTorch Proline series PL-4TDLX from http://store.cyberweld.com/tukitprseigp.html and love it. Mine is Propane - MAPP version, but you can buy Air/Acetylene one. Just choose a model that has a tip capable to solder/braze the pipe size range you deal with most often. Later you can buy additional tips of different sizes.

For a 6" pipe I'd consider using oxy-fuel setup.