PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Recommendations

Dale Lusby
08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
My search skills must be less than adequate as I seem to be unable to find an answer for this even though I'm sure it's been discussed numerous times. I am looking for some recommendations on coolant to run for a few of my machines. I am setting up coolant on my horizontal bandsaw and my surface grinder. What would be a good option for coolant to run on both? Does it matter on the machine being used as to which coolant to use or do they work for all? Eventually I'll have coolant on my horizontal mill and possibly my lathe if it works well. My system will be an inexpensive homemade garden pump with a 5 gallon bucket or something similar. I use Enco a lot so if you know of them having something that works I will go direct to them.
Thanks for any help!

Boucher
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
My current Enco flyer has some on page 58 & 59. The Rustlick WS 5050 that is on sale is what I have been using for the last couple of years with good results. The order number is ET505 2053 for the one gallon size at $25.95

Dale Lusby
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
So do you add water to it or use it as is?

MTNGUN
08-16-2010, 02:45 PM
If you can find it, Mobilmet S-122 is my favorite. Enco no longer carries it, however.

Rustlick 5050 would be my second choice.

After Enco dropped S-122, I tried their Oakflo DSS800. It's terrible. Watery stuff that is sticky when it dries, similar to soda pop. Makes the chips clump together. Never again.

Boucher
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes you add water. The rate varies with the application. Not Sure but it seems to me that it runs like five to ten parts water to one part oil. I have never had coolant go rancid but it does form a rubbery deposit around the edge if not used regularly. Recently that got bad enough that it clogged the intake screen on my pump. I don't like to sweep the shop and I don't like to clean the sump but both are necessary. The machine shop supply houses sometimes order this type thing by the pallets. Sometimes you can pick it up from them and save the shipping.

Dale Lusby
08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Is there instruction information that comes with the oil that lets you know how much water to add depending on the application? Looks like I'll be trying the Rustlick 5050 since that is what Enco carries. Have you tried any of the other Mobilmet numbers like the 404?

Liger Zero
08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Best coolant ever:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=42029

wierdscience
08-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Coolant King soluable oil,best I've found.

http://www.detroitbandsaw.com/catalog.asp?prodid=605071