PDA

View Full Version : Van Norman valve refacer

Richard Wilson
08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
A Van Norman Model YW valve refacer in good order followed me home the other day. My usual source for manuals in the UK (www.lathes.co.uk) hasn't got one, so, if there was ever a manual for this machine, does anyone have one or know where I can find one?
Its got a built-in coolant pump but the vendor only used it a few times, and worked dry, so didn't know what coolant should be used. Any suggestions? Its got to be available in the UK, preferably in small quantities. An old Jones & Shipman manual speaks of a solution of 5lbs of soda (washing, baking or bi-carb?) in 20 gals of water, or a soluble oil mix. I've seen a video on the internet of one of these machines in action, and they used a whitish fluid which certainly looked like soluble oil.

Regardfs
Richard

gnm109
08-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Nice score! The ones I've seen in action, when the owner was using coolant, had soluble oil in them.

When an auto store closed in my area a few years ago, they sold their equipment. They had a V.N. valve machine that had to have been 30 years old and it looked to be in terrible. It went for $1,200! Definitely out of my league.

The V.N. boring bars also sell for outrageous prices after living out their lives in auto shops. I guess it's the name. It can't be the condition.

Carld
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Kwik-Way Company owns Van Norman and may have a manual. Contact them at http://www.kwik-way.com/company/company_history.htm

Richard Wilson
08-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Nice score!

When an auto store closed in my area a few years ago, they sold their equipment. They had a V.N. valve machine that had to have been 30 years old and it looked to be in terrible. It went for $1,200! Definitely out of my league. .
$1200! I only paid a fraction of that. Quite made my day now.
I've found a flier for the Model YW from beautomotivemachine.com at $7.50 plus $6-50 international postage. Are these guys OK?

Regards
Richard

gnm109
08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I've found a flier for the Model YW from beautomotivemachine.com at $7.50 plus $6-50 international postage. Are these guys OK?

Regards
Richard

Apparently name is everything. Take a look on eBay for the prices on very old and very used Van Norman equipment - also Kwik-Way from auto and machine shops. People go nuts over the name and don't even bother to look at what they're buying.

For example, I bought a 1/4 hp Baldor buffer with no pedestal. Paid $50 used in mint condition from a friend. I tried it out on the bench and discovered that it had almost enough power to get warm and slightly more than the loss to friction.

I put it on eBay and sold it almost immediately for $250.00! Instead, I bought one of those 3/4 hp H.F. combination buffer on one side and 8" grindstone on the other on sale for $69.95 and another $39.95 for a nice steel and cast iron pedestal. That was five years ago and it's still running. It is terrific.

But the name makes the sale, every time.

MINN50
01-26-2011, 11:49 PM

Regards
Richard
i have bought alot of stuff and manuals from dennis from this place good guy and has what u need.

Richard Wilson
01-27-2011, 07:44 AM
i have bought alot of stuff and manuals from dennis from this place good guy and has what u need.
Yes, I got one from him, and its fine

Richard

lbhsbz
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Valve grinders are neat. I've got an old 1930s KwikWay.

As for coolant, there is a specific valve grinding oil that is recommended. There are also additives that supposedly improve results with different workpiece materials.

I got my oil from Goodson in a 1 gallon jug...they're a little higher priced than most, but for some stuff they're OK and their service is pretty good.

Have you played with it yet? The chucks generally don't hold a valve very true...I went to a TG100 collet chuck in hopes of getting runout under control, but couldn't get it less than .002" TIR on the valve. I ended up replacing all the balls in the original chuck and with a little work and trying a couple different position, I can get less than .001" with the original chuck.