PDA

View Full Version : stereoscopic lenticular screen monitors

aostling
08-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Fujifilm will soon market this 3D camera, which has a pair of lenses with a 75mm baseline. This will give slightly more stereo effect than normal vision. The lenticular LCD monitor has an amazing 1,150,000 dots, so you can see the 3D effect on the screen with the unaided eye. It shoots high-definition 3D movies, too.

Or if you just want to do something strange, you can simultaneously shoot one lens at telephoto, the other at wide angle.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/3d/camera/finepix_real3dw3/

The implication is that soon our computer monitors may incorporate this technology. We could be looking at our forum photos in 3D.

millwrong
08-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Great! Highly argumentative, grumpy old men in 3D! Dreams do come true!:D

Weston Bye
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Yep, I still haven't gotten the point of The Simpsons in HDTV. Harrumph!

Ken_Shea
08-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Great! Highly argumentative, grumpy old men in 3D! Dreams do come true!:D

HA-Ha, yeah, that will be be good :D

daved20319
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Yep, I still haven't gotten the point of The Simpsons in HDTV. Harrumph!

I never got the point of The Simpsons, period. But then, my taste in cartoons runs more to Bugs Bunny and the Roadrunner :-). Later.

Dave

lazlo
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Fuji co-developed the FinePix REAL 3D camera with Nvidia. The W1 version displays 3D images on the Nvidia 3D Vision system with polarized shutters.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_finepix_real_3d_us.html

I mentioned here awhile ago that the camera has been on the retail market in Japan for about a year. One of the marketing guys took a bunch of pictures of the LA Laker's Cheerleaders with it, and I have a bunch of goofy iPhone pictures of nerds staring at the 3D screen :)

I had a chance to buy one (they weren't outrageously expensive), but only someone with the 3D Vision system (or a lenticular LCD in the W3 variant) can see the images, so it didn't seem very useful.

oldbikerdude37
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I say wait a year or two on the 3D stuff, it will just get better and cheaper.

macona
08-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Its going to take more time than that. I give 5 to 10 years to figure out if it is just a passing fad. In the meantime we will be getting more crappy 3d movies shoved down our throat. Ugh.

Here are some pics that I took at TechShop with a stereo camera setup, these are the cross your eyes 3D.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4906643703_ef8d457c92_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4907232194_3b60202196_b.jpg

More here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/sets/72157624758709898/with/4907232194/

Evan
08-19-2010, 07:38 AM
You need to switch the images. They are currently for parallel viewing and are much to large for that.

macona
08-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Switch the images? You mean left should be right?

Evan
08-19-2010, 08:00 AM
The current lenticular 3D monitors have a dirty little secret. To understand what it is you need to know a bit about how the image is created.

To make a basic lenticular image takes a lens that is made of vertical linear lenses. The sheet of lenses is overlaid on the monitor so that it lines up with the RGB sub pixels that make up a full colour pixel. Each pair of linear lenses is arrange to focus a vertical stripe of pixels on only one eye, left and right, IF you are in the correct viewing position.

Because of this it automatically cuts the horizontal screen resolution in half. Every other vertical line of pixels contains the same information about the image but with a viewpoint offset equal to the spacing of your eyes (usually).

While this will produce a good 3D image it is too sensitive to viewing position to be practical for the general public to use. To address this the image on the screen is created with a series of left-right offsets of the 3D scene. There may be as many as six lines for the left eye interspersed with six lines for the right eye. This greatly broadens the usable viewing angle but at a large cost in horizontal resolution.

Further, the lenticular screen is always present and it degrades the quality of non 3D images. If you are considering buying a 3D monitor/TV shop very thoroughly and carefully before buying to find what looks best.

I also advise waiting a while before jumping in. The cost will come down dramatically over the next 3 years and the quality will go up.

Switch the images? You mean left should be right?

Yes.

lazlo
08-19-2010, 09:41 AM
The current lenticular 3D monitors have a dirty little secret. T

Because of this it automatically cuts the horizontal screen resolution in half.

That's why you want the W1 variant that works with Nvidia's 3D Vision -- you get the full resolution at 30 Hz (the 3D Vision monitors have ultra high scan interleave).

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/Nvidia3DVision.jpg

mayfieldtm
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
I watched 3D "Alice in Wonderland" at the Theater.
Very disappointed in the 3D Stuff.
Had low illumination and poor definition.

Tom M.

Evan
08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
It is very easy to make a bad 3D movie. There are few directors that have any clue how to make a good one. Everything changes. Because the 3D systems do NOT contain vertical 3D information it is essential that scenes be filmed so that they don't reveal that fact. As soon as you tilt the point of view the direction of the 3D information changes without any compensation by a corresponding change in the vertical information since it doesn't exist.

It's going to be a long learning curve for a lot of investors who are going to lose thier shirts. The standard set by Avatar will be very difficult to live up to and 3D is going to get a bad rap when the fault is not of the process but of how it is implemented.

aostling
08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Everything changes. Because the 3D systems do NOT contain vertical 3D information it is essential that scenes be filmed so that they don't reveal that fact. As soon as you tilt the point of view the direction of the 3D information changes without any compensation by a corresponding change in the vertical information since it doesn't exist.

As an experienced stereo photographer I should understand what you are talking about here. But I don't know what you mean by "vertical 3D information."

[edit] I know that in a stereo pair there is no vertical parallax between left and right images with the camera held horizontally. And I have never tried taking a stereo photo with the camera tilted from the horizontal. But I can tilt my head sideways, and I still see in 3D.

Evan
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
If you turn the 3D image 90 degrees all horizontal 3D information goes away. When you tilt your head the tilt information is passed to the brain from the ears and it compensates. When you tilt the image the brain has no tilt information and it cannot compensate. This is the problem that exists in 3D movies. Tilting the camera will vary the 3D information in a way that the brain cannot determine. It can induce motion sickness and at the least will cause a vague feeling of discomfort.

When a movie camera is turned 90 degrees the previous horizontal information is replaced by vertical information in the image but displayed horizontally. Without a tilt reference the brain doesn't know how to interpret that. If you were to tilt your head to follow the action horizontally you would see no 3D effect.