Vernon
08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GGsKu1v4I

Watch the link I made. Vernon:)

KINGWELD
08-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Vernon,
Good job. Now I'll have to make one.
This will defiantly make the drill MORE versatile.

Vernon
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Vernon,
Good job. Now I'll have to make one.
This will defiantly make the drill MORE versatile.

Hey Jim,
The base for my Mag drill has been a great help in my small shop glad I made it and I think you will be very happy to.
Vernon:)

lazlo
08-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Clever Vernon -- I like it!

Black_Moons
08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Nice, Lots of love for the 1/2" plate eh?
I like when you tilted it forward.. then set it down, camera shakes from the thud, haha. (1:12)

Nifty recess 'under' the collumn of the mag drill too. thats gotta come in handy someday.

Vernon
08-17-2010, 04:51 PM
I like when you tilted it forward.. then set it down, camera shakes from the thud, haha. (1:12)

Nifty recess 'under' the collumn of the mag drill too. thats gotta come in handy someday.

1/2 plate little heavy But very strong. Thank You Vernon:)

Michael Edwards
08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Nice video. Well thought out. Makes me want to get a mag drill even tho I don't need one.

ME

EddyCurr
08-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Nicely done.

Thanks for sharing.

Vernon
08-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Nicely done.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank You Eddy for watching:)
Vernon

brian Rupnow
08-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Nice job Vernon. That is a very instructive and well done video.----Brian

Alan in Vermont
08-17-2010, 08:45 PM
One of my serious tool wants is a Hougen drill unit. I've already got a selection of cutters that I use in my drill press with the MT2 adapter Hougen has. They make arbors and adapters to allow use of their "Rotabroach" cutters in all manner of drilling equipment.

DFMiller
08-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Veron,
Thanks for sharing that great video. Please keep up the great work and post some more videos.
Dave

Alan in Vermont
08-17-2010, 08:48 PM

The 1/2" plate is required to get sufficient mass for the magnet to grab. Last I knew Hougen drills needed 1" plate thickness to generate their rated holding power.

oldbikerdude37
08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Nice work and the video is well done.

If you keep making videos and get lots of hits youtube will pay you. A Buddie of mine does bike repair videos and makes a couple hundred dollars a month. that would make for some nice fun tool money.

darryl
08-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Well. Nice job, yes. I guess that presumes you have a mag drill and would like to get more use from it. Couple questions- how does the side play in the quill compare to what a typical small drill press might have- that's one- another question is regarding the magnetic part. Is that powered or is it permanent magnet with a release lever of some kind?

A suggestion- since you have such a solid base unit, how about adding a clamping device to lock the work down with. Maybe you could add a few tapped holes and just be able to run a bolt or two down them to pinch against the workpiece. A rectangular shaped 'foot' with a recess in it for the bolt could be a very good addition to help keep things from spinning.

I brought up the quill slop issue because so many drill presses these days are so sloppy it makes me ill. You're not paying so much for them, granted, but who would want to use such an inferior piece of gear (not me). I'm not aware of any mag drill that can be had nearly so cheaply as a small drill press, so it 'should' be a quality piece of equipment with fairly close tolerances. To be able to end up with a 'precision' drill press, even with reduced vertical travel and spindle to column distance would be a good thing.

Thanks for posting that project.

Vernon
08-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Nice job Vernon. That is a very instructive and well done video.----Brian

Thank you Brian

Vernon
08-17-2010, 09:14 PM
The 1/2" plate is required to get sufficient mass for the magnet to grab. Last I knew Hougen drills needed 1" plate thickness to generate their rated holding power.

Yes the reason for large plate for holding power for the magnetic. The book says min of 3/8 thick. Thank you Vernon:)

Vernon
08-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Nice work and the video is well done.

If you keep making videos and get lots of hits youtube will pay you. A Buddie of mine does bike repair videos and makes a couple hundred dollars a month. that would make for some nice fun tool money.

Wow thats great please tell all your friends to watch mine lol No just kidding thanks nice to know. Vernon:)

Vernon
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
For Darryl

Q1 My mag drill is a Hougan 505 very good quill compared to any other model
No drill press under 1000.00 can compare to this machine.

Q2 Electric Magnetic with switch

Q3 "More of a suggestion" The clamps I use are better than something permant I drill weird pcs and shapes so it would be hard to get the clamp in the write spot each time Example I drill angle,flat,Square tubing,channel and some weird flat shapes I have even bored a sprocket on this table before because wasn't near a lathe and real needed the sprocket worked pretty good. Hope I covered your question if not please ask me.
Thank you Vernon:)

bborr01
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi Vernon and nice job on the base and the design.

You might consider posting it in the "shop made tools" thread too.

I don't think there are any other videos in that thread.

Thanks,

Brian

wierdscience
08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Very nice,a good way to make a monster hole capacity drill press without having a monster sitting in the corner eating up shop space.Thanks for sharing!

Vernon
08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Very nice,a good way to make a monster hole capacity drill press without having a monster sitting in the corner eating up shop space.Thanks for sharing!

Hey Wierdscience,
Yes this can drill large holes in thin plates only a mill can do better than
this base. But the mill can not go in the back of a truck like this base. Can go any place and drill. Thank You Vernon:D

.RC.
11-28-2010, 05:26 AM
I have shamelessly copied Vernon's idea and made my own :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nty4JLjfu2Q

Forrest Addy
11-28-2010, 12:32 PM
RC aint no flattery more sincere than a well-executed and successful shameless copy.