PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Toilet paper uses

1smalljohnson
08-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Have a look, remember that I'm a cheap bastard, and know that the PVC pipe was sanded down on a belt sander to fit both the water filter head unit and toilet paper roll. Can't remember the dimension. Also, the water filter is run "backwards" from how water would normally enter.

http://a.imageshack.us/img844/253/dscn2109.jpg

hope the pictures work.

1smalljohnson

1smalljohnson
08-18-2010, 08:47 PM
My, that picture was BIG! I'll try the next a bit smaller. Vry sorry if I'm not up to speed on all this stuff.

http://a.imageshack.us/img834/2476/dscn2111.th.jpg[/URL]

1smalljohnson
08-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Humph! Guess I'll need the tutorial on picture posting afterall!

MTNGUN
08-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Are filters that expensive in your part of the country ? :D

I suggest resizing your pics to 800 pixels wide.

gnm109
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Oww. My eyes hurt. I wonder what that picture was showing? :D

Your Old Dog
08-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Oww. My eyes hurt. I wonder what that picture was showing? :D

I had a little time so I scanned back and forth, back and forth but haven't seen it yet, if I find it I'll let you know :D

gnm109
08-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I had a little time so I scanned back and forth, back and forth but haven't seen it yet, if I find it I'll let you know :D

Thanks. I can't figure it out. :)

TGTool
08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
As a kid I remember seeing an adapter for an automobile oil filter that used a roll of toilet paper for the filter. I don't remember enough details, but I think there were top and bottom plates to simulate the original filter element's canister. Of course that was the era of the oil bath air filter too. Maybe there was an adaptation for that too and I just never saw it. Unroll 25 squares and lay the strip back and forth ... :p

1smalljohnson
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
The toilet paper oil filter is where I got the idea. Friend of mine has one, and he uses it on his sand blast cabinet. Figured I'd give it a try, but in my own way. Works just fine.

Also, I'll take the advice and downsize the image.

1smalljohnson
08-18-2010, 10:22 PM
OK, the image is too big, but well sized for "older" eyes. Scan over to the right, approximately half way down the image and you'll see the Ace water filter. The next post, I pasted an "icon" picture to see if that was any better. Maybe click it and enlarge?

Hell, I'm new to this stuff!

1smalljohnson
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM
oops - that upload didn't work...

Boucher
08-19-2010, 12:04 AM
So what are you trying to filter and how fine. A 30micron 10" water filter is $3.50 at Ace Hardware. If you are trying to make a Motogard type moisture filter the toilet paper may look similar to their paper filters but it doesn't work that well. If that is what you are doing just pay the $7 for a real motorgard filter.

beanbag
08-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Is not the purpose of toilet paper to come apart?

lugnut
08-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Hey you with the little johnson. did you use new or used TP in that filter? :D
I remember back in the 60's there was a guy selling TP oil filters for cars. I think TP was invented for a specific use and I don't think it is water filtering.
I have a WATTS under sink water filter system that takes all the chlorine taste out of our water and the filters cost about $30 per year. you can buy the whole system for $90.

Willy
08-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Not to derail the OP's thread, but yeah I remember those TP oil filters as my dad had one on his cars in the early 60's. He was a helluva auto mechanic and swore by them.
I used to do the oil and filter changes for him and I remember it was always clean.
The filters were made by Frantz.

I'd kind of forgotten about them till I read this thread, so I Googled Frantz and was surprised to see that they are still very much alive.

http://www.frantzoil.com/home.html

A.K. Boomer
08-19-2010, 01:57 AM
I hope your not going to drink water from a toilet paper filtered unit, if so at least try and get the unsented:rolleyes:

Yup Willy - I installed many of frantz on the old V-dubs, beside's holding an extra quart of oil (and they need it due to holding less than 3 quarts)

they were superior to a typical filter in micron filtering, the Frantz was not a full flow filter and only filtered a little at a time but what it did was extremely clean...

Frank Ford
08-19-2010, 02:38 AM
I've had a commercially made toilet paper filter on my air line for decades - it was a gift from a friend who was moving his shop. Have no idea if it does any real good, but it's there.

T.P. has a real place in my shop:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Shop/BentRodTPHolder/bentrodtpholder02.jpg

1smalljohnson
08-19-2010, 05:53 AM
The one posted is located in my paint booth. I needed a good way to ensure there was NO oil getting to my spray gun. The HF unit clearly does not remove oil, but the TP unit does an EXCELLENT job.

Regarding the questions:

I use strictly used TP rolls. That way, I'm more enviornmentally (sp?) conscious (and I'm a cheap bastard).

Never run out of filters, never have to place an order, never have to run to the hardware store to get a replacement, never seen any TP fibers in my fresh paint, checked the head loss and it's 3 psi thru both the TP filter and water separator, removes water vapor too!

jugs
08-19-2010, 07:09 AM
[quote=1smalljohnson]

I use strictly used TP rolls. That way, I'm more enviornmentally (sp?) conscious (and I'm a cheap bastard).

quote]

Yuk !!!! I flush mine away after use :D

john

:)