PDA

View Full Version : What are you up to today?

rockrat
08-19-2010, 02:25 PM
I just made a little tool (the steel ring containing pins) to finish disassembly of a high speed Van Norman head. I came in to eat lunch and thought that I would share the 1/2 days activity and prod you all for updates on your own projects.

Click for larger photo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/temp/th_IMG_8867.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/temp/IMG_8867.jpg)

So, what do you have going on today?

rock~

KIMFAB
08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm in the middle of a lathe rebuild. I decided to work on the chuck today.

http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/DSG/lathea352.jpg

We are still in the middle of the broken wife problem so tomorrow will be spent going to Vegas again.

madman
08-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Making some more Head fixtures for my engine project. Also wondering how to make up a collet device to hold from 4.5 to 8 mm valve stems in my new (nice yet really old) Black and decker Valve machine.

Evan
08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I fixed the power crossfeed on my lathe last night which extended past midnight so that counts as today. The motor had burned out. I am attempting to make solid metal spherical very long focal length mirrors for astronomy. No results yet but this is the setup.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/radiusturn1.jpg

http://ixian.ca/pics7/radiusturn2.jpg

This morning the smoke is so thick that I was able to take a direct prime focus image of the sun with my telescope. That eliminates all lenses from the optical path and also eliminates the possibility of chromatic abberation causing image artifacts. The result is that the images from my Canon TX1 seem to be valid as the images from the Canon 350D show exactly the same features using only mirrors to focus the light.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/sunha1.png

Toolguy
08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm making prototype parts for a new kind of high power density electric motor, a new pet product and a new plumbing tool. Tomorrow I'll be making parts for 2 different kinds of lawn and garden prototypes. Sat. will be parts for an injection molding co. that makes trashcans with wheels and plastic pallets.

Frank Ford
08-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Before I took off for work today, I made a little knurled thumbscrew. It's the thimble lock screw I lost from my coolest little micrometer:

http://www.frets.com/ForumPix/coolweldmic_02.jpg

I'm just starting to write up some reviews of a few special small production tools for my Web site, and I didn't want to leave out this tool so I had to get the screw made for the photo.

topct
08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Putting together two of these. Honda Trail 90 engines.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/topct/Trail90.jpg

winchman
08-19-2010, 05:09 PM
I repaired a damaged utility trailer by cutting off the old coupler, straightening the tongue, and welding on a new coupler.

Then I cut some brackets and the feet off an old propane tank that's going to be the next charity smoker.

The last thing I did was cut 94 pieces of 2"x2"x3/16" aluminum angle 3" long to be used for mounting new security cameras around the school campus. I'm officially in love with the Doringer cold saw. :D

john hobdeclipe
08-19-2010, 05:10 PM
I just bought another two door steel storage cabinet that will be devoted to my wooden kitchenware project. So now I'm trying to make room in the shop to put the cabinet. A whole 'nother re-org, again!

Here's a link to my wood kitchenware web page.

http://www.auldooly.com/woodware.html

This little project has been doing well and making some money, and I need to get all of the pertinent tools organized and stored cleanly, thus the dedicated cabinet.

MACHINING CONTENT! The devices I use to make the spoons are themselves built with my home shop machinery, and the rolling pins are made on a 1953 vintage Craftsman / Atlas 12 X 36 metal lathe.

dp
08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm trying to write a script to start, stop, and status 5 Oracle instances in a Red Hat 2-node HA cluster. There's no way to test this because the Oracle DB is busy. Hurry up and wait - meanwhile, the countdown to due date approaches null.

I'm headed to California's gold country tomorrow to have some beers with some biker scum.

Mcgyver
08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Frank, you gone steam punk on us? :)

went shopping

4 contactors for the cnc retrofit and some missing knobs for a 466 scope coming up for sale.

a good day

:)

oldbikerdude37
08-19-2010, 05:25 PM
We are pouring a pad for a large vehicle hoist, big enough to lift a semi truck tractor.
For years we have been under rigs, torching and welding, nothing worse than torching slag going into your ear while cramped under a rig on jack stands, I will get pictures once the lift is installed.
I cant say enough about how handy it will be to have.

BWS
08-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Watched glue dry.............Period correct 1917 coat hangar @36" long,18" or so high with,get this;71 individual pcs.,not counting the 3 small beveled mirrors or the 4 coat hooks.That was the paying gig.

The semi-paying gig......semi in that it will make shop/me/dust collection happier and quicker...was two new sheetmetal dust collection ports for a cpl machines.Nuthin major;simple layout,trip or 3 across pexto,bend here and there,cleco then rivet.Oh and a smooosh of ductseal.

Went into machine shop but left just as quickly.....really didn't feel like changin oil.BW

Your Old Dog
08-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Going through one great collection of machinist mags.....all day long. Just got on line to take a break.

Tony Ennis
08-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I wrote a lot of code today.

I am the only one on here who's not employed as a machinist!??

rohart
08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Today was spent mending lousy chipboard flooring and stripping the last of the carpet and rotting underlay from my younger daughter's bedroom. It all started with a need to downsize her radiator by a factor of three and hide it behind the door, gaining her half a wall.

Well, I needing thinking time before finishing my slot-cutter project. It does cut slots already - it took me less than half an hour to put 1/8" keyways in five gears - but it still needs adjustable stops for dial marking.

KiddZimaHater
08-19-2010, 08:43 PM
7:00 to 4:30 -At work, Writing and proving-out a new program on the VMC for a natural gas engine manifold.
Now I'm getting ready to go out into my shop and crank up the bandsaw. I'm getting behind on some stuff. :(

gary350
08-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I am inventing a new tool. This is something that I need for a special job. It takes me about 4 to 5 hours to make 1 part but with this new tool I will be able to make the part in about 10 minutes.

I need to repair my lathe.

I bought a $200 tubing roller on ebay for $11 it has 1 miss part that I need to make when I get a change.

darryl
08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
What did I do today- started at 8 am upgrading some cabinetry and decor in a beer and wine store. Doors open for business at 9- then a steady stream of customers coming and going all day long. By mid afternoon the clientèle started looking a little better, but right from opening time it was a parade of the oldest, roughest looking, most decrepit, stinkiest, and downright ugliest people I've seen in a long time. I must have walked through somebodys fart at least three times during the day, and of course I had the special privilege of installing a cabinet into a tight opening that was nowhere near square. About two out of three pieces of trim had to have a special angle cut on it to fit, and there was about 100 feet of it in all. I found out today that our miter saw doesn't cut a true 45- that was special:(

Pete F
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM

Nope. I wrote a lot of really boring code today, and dreamed about getting a new job (which I have to do in the next few months... :rolleyes: )

-Pete

J Tiers
08-19-2010, 11:24 PM

Not at all.

I created a spec sheet for one client product , revised two schematics up to (I think) the latest version of the client's wishes for wind turbine control systems, and updated the pin lists. Then I re-checked manually, and then modeled in the computer, a subsystem, which I decided may need to be changed so that the output is reported in a more linear fashion.........

Now I am wasting time here as a sort of "displacement activity", since I really don't want to finish fixing a small inverter for a friend of mine.... I HATE how it is put together....... the final step appears to have been "glom on epoxy, push the assembly into the blind recess, and pray it all makes contact with the bottom (which you cannot see), because if it doesn't, it will fail and you will have it to do all over again".

if I bag on both, I get to move some stuff and machines to make room for basement construction/repair AGAIN... First time was for trenching the floor to replace pipe.... This time it is a floor joist replacement. Hopefully that is "it" and I can then move things back to a usable arrangement.

Oh, and I have to find and order some parts to fix a 12VDC coffeemaker..... for same guy whose inverter I am fixing.... Good friend, but buys bad stuff......

At some point it's off to bed and then to work again tomorrow, to run efficiency tests on another 60kW 480V inverter that needs to be shipped off to the client some time soon.....

If everything weren't piled up on itself, I SHOULD be scraping-in a nice new Benchmaster mill that I bought at a sale a few weeks ago.....

wierdscience
08-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Made a couple riser blocks for the lathe and fixed a spun bearing in a motor today,oh and a bunch of paper work.

tumutbound
08-19-2010, 11:45 PM

I would love to have written code but I'm not working at present so no one is paying me to :)

Instead I planted some potatoes.

fishfrnzy
08-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I measured and made templates to make 2 bucket liners for front end loader buckets. They will be made from 1/2 thick AR400 plate about 5'6" x 10"0" and shaped on a press brake to fit the inside of the bucket to prevent wear from rock and sand.

Todd Tolhurst
08-20-2010, 12:05 AM
I spent my day on a task so thoroughly idiotic that only corporate tax consultants could have conceived it.

I like that days that I get to code much better.

TGTool
08-20-2010, 12:46 AM
I spent some time harvesting basil, making pesto and putting it up in the freezer to enjoy all winter.

Then continued on the last step of making a group of replacement hood latches for guys doing a restoration. They sent an old one and asked if I could make four more. I'd fretted several days trying to work out how to duplicate the wire bail since it's a little out of my experience. In the end it worked pretty well so I silver soldered them on today.

Here's the old and a new one.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/TGTool/P1010304-1.jpg

I could have taken a picture of the pesto too, but the aromas of garlic, basil and parmesan just don't come through very well in a photo.

DFMiller
08-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Watching the 16m3 of Concrete go in my driveway and set the level and moved several m3 of roadbase. Soon I will be able to get back through the doorway of my shop.
Dave

dockrat
08-20-2010, 03:10 AM
Dave....there is no room in your shop for you to back into it :D

DFMiller
08-20-2010, 03:37 AM
Ernie, you are correct. That open space you saw is now filled with the stuff from the small garden shed that is no longer.
Dave

Blackadder
08-20-2010, 04:09 AM
trying to drill holes

eg 36 no.70 on a 0.5 dp followed by offset 5 degrees and another 36 no.75 on a 0.44 dp

the problem is i do not have enough speed the hole tend to run into each other

material in ali bronze or brass made 4 up to now still not got a good one , but I need two

Timleech
08-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Yesterday, cleaned up 6 new old stock pistons for the marine engine I'm working on (6.5" bore), & fitted them to the rods. Then made an entry tool by parting off the top of an old cylinder liner and putting an internal chamfer on the end to guide the rings into the bore. Today I'll fit the pistons & rods. Maybe take some pics.

Tim

Marc M
08-20-2010, 05:20 AM
So far tonight I had to reinstall a window on a Mori-Seiki MH-63 that an operator leaned against and pushed inside the machine becase they were too lazy to stand on their own 2 feet.:mad: Also had numerous intermittent 'Thermal Overload' alarms back on a Kitamura HX630i in the Robotic Cell. Found the chip conveyor was plugged with chips on the return side. Ran it backwards for a while to clear it all out, then let it run forwards for a while without a part running to get the rest of the crap cleared out, then fired the part back up. So far, so good. Then it was an 'Abnormal HP Coolant' alarm on another Mori. Changed out the filters and she's now happy. Next was getting the ATC recovered and the tool pulled out of the part on a new Mori NH500 after the operator (new guy) slapped the E-stop because a slot mill was making a lot of noise. Showed him the 'Feed Hold' button.:rolleyes: Then decided to take a break, eat lunch, and see who Evan was having a spirited debated with tonight.

After lunch, I've got an SKF spindle oiler that keeps throwing alarms on one of the Kitamuras. Once that's done, I've got another Kitamura that's having ATC issues involving the transfer arm that brings tools from the magazine to the 'standby arm'. Not sure if it's on the hydraulic side or the electrical side. If I manage to get all that sorted out, I've got a pile of vacuums and several hoists that need to be repaired. That's assuming none of the operators do any more stupid stuff that ends up requiring my attention.

kc5ezc
08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Topct: Any special tricks or tips on the honda trail 90 overhaul? I have one to do later this fall.

kc5ezc
08-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey TGT: When is the pasta dinner?

TGTool
08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey TGT: When is the pasta dinner?

When are you stopping by? :D

I had a dish one time at an Italian restaurant that I really liked so I've done something pretty similar at home. Heat the pasta water, put in cheese ravioli or penne, frozen green beans and diced potato in whatever order gets them done at the same time. Thaw out a couple blocks of pesto (they're frozen in cupcake papers), add a ladle or two of pasta water to make a thickish sauce and when the other stuff is done, drain it and toss it together. Can't beat it for fast, easy and delicious in a one dish meal.

topct
08-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Topct: Any special tricks or tips on the honda trail 90 overhaul? I have one to do later this fall.

Keep very careful track of all the little bits and pieces, some are no longer available new. Inspect the small end of the rod, piston pin, cam lobes and followers. This is their weak point.

Also make sure that if you are going to look for any parts, new or used, that you note your engine number. They made some internal changes that are not evident just looking at them from the outside.

There is more to add but I don't quite know where to start. When you get to it you can ping me here if you want.

Diagrams, parts and tools,

http://dratv.com/honcttrail90.html

oldbikerdude37
08-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Today my water pump for my fountain died, I just got a new one in march so I will return it to the store and get a new one. I normally get 3 years from one but this one is a goner after 5+ months. Darn thing only pumped less than 5,000,000 gallons.

Arcane
08-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Today I rendezvoused with a gentleman who wanted to have a look at my JD 420C (which is for sale). Then I visited a friend on his acreage, I had made a dozen shims for his NH 268 baler and wanted to get them to him. While there we graded his driveway with my very ancient Adams pull type road patrol (8' blade) behind his Cockshutt 30, picked a couple of wheel barrow loads of small rock that the patrol managed to pop up, did a bit of carpentry, shot the sh*t, had a very delicious supper and marked this day up as time well spent! :)

Allan Waterfall
08-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Learning to use my Stent T&C grinder that I finally finished at the weekend.

Started building it and got about 95% done about five years ago,finally got round to finishing it.

Allan

EddyCurr
08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Topct: Any special tricks or tips on the honda trail 90 overhaul?
I have one to do later this fall.Keep very careful track of all the little bits and pieces, some are no
longer available new. Inspect the small end of the rod, piston pin,
cam lobes and followers. This is their weak point.

Also make sure that if you are going to look for any parts,
new or used, that you note your engine number. They made
some internal changes that are not evident just looking at them
from the outside.

There is more to add but I don't quite know where to start.
When you get to it you can ping me here if you want.

Diagrams, parts and tools,

http://dratv.com/honcttrail90.htmlAnother option may be to set the OEM Honda 90 on a shelf and replace
it with one of Lifan's replicas of this engine (http://www.dratv.com/newengines.html) in the same or larger
displacement.

At a cost of a few hundred dollars for a brand new engine, the approach
bears consideration.

gwilson
08-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I made about 36 18th.C. thread spools. They have a spindle about 3/16" thick,a hole about 3/32" in dia through them,and on each end what looks like old fashioned 1940's rubber model airplane tires that have very sharp edges. From the side view,they look like 2 convex surfaces coming together,to form an ellipse,but the ellipse has very thin,sharp edges where the curved sides meet. Hope this makes sense.

They were for a customer. Made of dogwood,and rather tricky to make without chipping the wood on the sharp edges. The are about 11/16" in diameter,with the end ellipses about 1/8" thick at their thickest part. The spools are turned from 1 piece. I made them on my HLVH.

topct
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Another option may be to set the OEM Honda 90 on a shelf and replace
it with one of Lifan's replicas of this engine (http://www.dratv.com/newengines.html) in the same or larger
displacement.

At a cost of a few hundred dollars for a brand new engine, the approach
bears consideration.

It took at least 5 junk engines to find enough good parts to put the two I'm working on together. Just doing a top end on a friends CT70 required pulling 3 engines apart to find a cylinder head that was any good. These things had very sturdy bottom ends and transmissions, it's the top end that really gets ruined.

I used to do these when I could find the parts. But since they are rapidly drying up and Honda is no longer stocking most of the castings, one of those Chinese engines is what I'm going to be telling people to go for.

kc5ezc
08-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Gentlemen: Thanks for the info on the Honda trail 90. Hope to overhaul it this winter.
TGTools: I'll try to get up that way one of these days. I Have Celiac Disease so can not eat normal pasta. We get some from Canada made from Rice bran that is almost like the real thing. I'll give your receipt a try.

Evan
08-23-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm celiac too. I have been gluten free for 25 years. It's my birthday today. This is what I am having for breakfast. Would you like some recipes? :D

http://ixian.ca/pics7/breakfast.jpg

This is what I designed just for fun the last couple of nights. It's a 2 piece injection molded dryer turbine fan. Designed in Sketchup and rendered in PovRay.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/turbo5.jpg

dockrat
08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Whipped up some quick and dirty load binder fittings. Two chain links welded together. Slip them into the line at any position.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1428Medium.jpg

And then made a new bracket to replace the broken plastic rear view mirror extension bracket on a Ford 250.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1430Medium.jpg

kc5ezc
08-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Evan: I am always glad to get new recipes. I have been diagnosed for only 10 years, but we have hundreds of recipes. I'll share.
kc5ezc at cableone dot net.

Evan
08-23-2010, 10:37 PM
I'll send you some as soon as the wife gives them to me.

terry_g
08-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Found this old cycle last week. 1980 XT500 Yamaha. Needs some TLC. Had the carb apart a couple times cleaned the tank took out the clutch plates and lapped them, set the valves,adjusted the cam chain,set the ignition timing welded up the exhaust, and a bit of paint touch-up and patched the seat. I can't wait till the new front tire and chain are here so I can test it out.

Terry

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4922218536_9ebc4897f4_b.jpg

EddyCurr
08-27-2010, 11:54 PM
... one of those Chinese engines is what I'm going to be telling people to go for.An acquaintance has built three Kikker 5150 bikes (http://www.kikker5150.com) powered by Lifans
of various displacements. The bikes are licensed for the road and have
some miles on them - he is knowledgeable about the originals and is very
satisfied with his clones.

terry_g - very nice looking XT 500.

Bill736
08-28-2010, 01:59 AM
I took a break from my ongoing reorganization of my workshop, and installed a rebuilt caliper assembly on one side of my Chevy pickup truck front brakes. The disk brake on that side had been dragging, and heating up the brake and wheel, and smelling quite hot too. Although the caliper piston did seem somewhat stuck, and the sliding bushings also seemed too stiff, the rebuilt caliper did not solve the dragging issue entirely. The rubber brake line to that caliper was internally collapsed , and it was not allowing brake fluid to return enough to let the brake piston retract. I'll buy another rubber brake line tomorrow and install it. The steel brake line that connects to the rubber line is rusty , and the fittings are going to be a challenge to remove. I expect I'll have to replace the steel line too. In other words, typical brake problems on a 1989 truck ! This is the second vehicle I've owned that had a collapsed brake hose, so it's not that rare a problem, and the hose may look ok from the outside.

Evan
08-28-2010, 10:26 AM
The steel brake line that connects to the rubber line is rusty , and the fittings are going to be a challenge to remove. I expect I'll have to replace the steel line too. In other words, typical brake problems on a 1989 truck

A week ago I was using my '88 Ford Ranger around the yard and hit the brakes hard. They instantly failed completely as the right front brake line blew out next to the flexible fitting. I sat for a minute and counted my blessings as it couldn't have happened at a better time or place.

Deja Vu
08-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Let's see....what am I up to today or what was I already up to?

Well, there's a skunk living under our 8'x10' thousand screw assembly storage building and went out to check on the environment for signs of disturbing evidence. I'm giving the critter a chance to share the yard with all the other lifeforms, but I saw rabbit hair around one of the three entrances under the shed and signs of dragging up to it.
Now, I don't want to blame it for the demise of the rabbit, as it may have been a cat that made the initial kill while the skunk(Pepe Le Pew) was just scavaging.
After putting food out for the somewhat diverse wildlife, and hand feeding the tamer chipmunks, I pondered if Pepe was deserving of his status as resident.
So, after pondering for a while I got the camera set up in the basement to snap some shots of a couple tools I no longer use, or have duplicates, for listing on Craigslist.
...Started making an adapter to mount my rotary tool as a spindle.
I also played with my salvaged 24V wheelchair drive train with basic chassis. If I wasn't going to GreenBay with my wife today, I'd be bringing it up out of the basement, (which is no small feat), to work the batteries and generally play with.
I think I will leave the control/cable extension project for another day too.
http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/78/43/42124378/photos/data/transporter.JPG

Timleech
08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Today, not strictly a working day but feeling under the weather, & the weather too cr@p for outside jobs so just pottering enough to stave off boredom/frustration.
Been weighing up 'how to do it'

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/Timleech_2009/mersey2010/Kelvin/P1000569.jpg

Aluminium alloy heat exchanger body, 19.5" long. The two bores hold tube stacks with raw (Sea) water through the tubes, the body around the large bore carries freshwater coolant, and around the smaller stack is lube oil. Salt water has got past the seals on the larger bore and wrecked both ends. Welding it up would be a big job & my Ali welding isn't good enough. I plan to bore out both ends and fit 316 stainless top-hat sleeves to restore the proper end profiles. I reckon it'll be a bit cheaper than farming it out for welding, and then machining back, and significantly cheaper than a secondhand replacement casing for which the greedy - oops- canny Scots want about $1000 USD equivalent.

I have three choices for machining it out -
Lathe - make a hardwood mandrel for one end, then hold inside the other with rotating chuck, should just leave me room to bore one end & then flip it round. It'll just about swing over my lathe bed.

Mill - vertical. Again, just about room according to my measurements to get it under the turret head and use a boring head, but it'll be a close thing and not sure until I try it. I'd use a big angle plate to clamp the base of the cooler vertically.

Mill - horizontal. It'll overhang the bed a long way, but that shouldn't matter much. Setting up more fiddly, working round the back all the time. I'd have to find some way to adapt a boring head to fit the horizontal spindle, it's 40 Int whereas the vertical head (and my boring head) is 30 Int.

I've decided to try the vertical mill option first, I'll post some pics if it works.

Edit to add that I did consider another option - swing the vertical/turret mill head round to horizontal, and mount the cooler flat on the bed. It would need at least 6" thickness of parallel packing on the bed to get it high enough. Could probably use hardwood again for the accuracy required, but still quite a chunk needed. Once set up, probably the easiest option to work with except that I might need a step ladder!

Tim

doctor demo
08-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Uploaded some pictures of My mid week emergency call.
First photo is what We found when We arrived Wednesday afternoon, a 12,000 pound lift parked against a column. The fire dept. parked it there to keep things stable.
The lift operator said he just bumped the post with the counter weight and it shot out. The Engineer showed up and had us chain the post to the trusses for the night. He did some calcs and determined 30,000 pounds of roof load on that col. He wanted another 12,000 pound lift parked behind the first and a means of shoring befor doing anything else.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/doctordemo/latestPictures260.jpg
Thursday started with a trip to the steel yard and picking up 4-40' 4'' square 1/4''wall tubes, cut them at 28' with a 70 deg. miter , welded 4'' sch.40 pipe at the other ends to have a slipperier end and a place for some chains to go through. Got them up in place and started pulling them together.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/doctordemo/latestPictures261.jpg
The rest of the day was spent pulling the bottom of the tubes together and then shoving the col. back to it's original spot , we used to lifts to move the col. about a foot at a time then pull the tube legs closer and start all over again.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/doctordemo/latestPictures262.jpg
This last photo shows the col. back in place .It has a 1-1/2'' bow when pulling a string line from top of concrete protector to top of col.
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w348/doctordemo/latestPictures263.jpg
We are waiting on the Engineer and the County Structural Inspector to decide what they want to do next.
All four anchor bolts were sheared off flush. Just ''bumped'' it with the counter weight...Right.

Steve

Evan
08-28-2010, 04:01 PM
I plan to bore out both ends and fit 316 stainless top-hat sleeves to restore the proper end profiles.

316 SS isn't a good choice for that application. It will disintegrate in a relatively short time from chloride induced stress corrosion cracking especially if exposed to salt water while at elevated temperatures over 55C.

This applies to all austenitic SS but especially to 316 and 304 alloys.

Alloy 304 stainless steel is considered to resist pitting and crevice corrosion in waters containing up to about 100 ppm chloride. The Mo-bearing Alloy 316 and Alloy 317L on the other hand will handle waters with up to about 2000 and 5000 ppm chloride, respectively. Although these alloys have been used with mixed success in seawater (19,000 ppm chloride), they are not recommended for such use. Alloy 2507 with 4% Mo, 25% Cr, and 7% Ni is designed for use in salt water. The Alloys 316 and 317L are considered to be adequate for some marine environment applications such as boat rails and hardware and facades of buildings near the ocean, which are exposed to salt spray. The Alloys 316 and 317L stainless steels all perform without evidence of corrosion in the 100-hour, 5% salt spray (ASTM B117) test.
http://www.sandmeyersteel.com/316-316L.html

Timleech
08-28-2010, 04:37 PM
316 SS isn't a good choice for that application. It will disintegrate in a relatively short time from chloride induced stress corrosion cracking especially if exposed to salt water while at elevated temperatures over 55C.

This applies to all austenitic SS but especially to 316 and 304 alloys.

It shouldn't be exposed to salt water, if the O-ring seals are doing their job. The salt water is contained within the tubes and end caps. The aluminium casting has suffered because the seals have leaked, and then been bodged, and leaked again. The SS should only be in contact with inhibited coolant (Water + antifreeze), and in my book it won't start to get 'eaten away' by occasional salt water leakage in the same way as the original Al casting. You could equally say that the original Al casting was a bad choice of material, but it's over 40 years old & hasn't been well maintained.

Tim

Evan
08-28-2010, 04:54 PM
It's your call.

Aluminum holds up much better than 316 SS does in salt water. The SS turns to mush inside if it is exposed. It looks like this:

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics2/mmss3.jpg

polepenhollow
08-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Me, Polepenhollow
I'm still working in Marysville Wa
House is primed and ready for paint.

My friend in Ellensberg has just bought for me a Rivett Horiz Mill Mach. at a garage sale.
K Lively

QSIMDO
08-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Rebuilt a front caliper for a 2001 Sportster then took the '97 out to see if the clutch needs more adjustment.

This clutch is reeeeeeally pissin' me off!

I love Harleys precision adjustment method; "...turn adjusting screw counter clockwise until resistance is felt, then back off a 1/4 turn."
Resistance for who?
Me or the old woman?

I'll just turn it 'til it slips then back it off.

Oh, mounted a work light for my mill.
Not enough room on the column so I mounted the base on the shelves behind.
Works a treat.

Weston Bye
08-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Miss Susie and I walked the 5K walk in the Crim Festival of Races in Flint Michigan this morning. Time, about 57 minutes. My son-in-law and a daughter ran the 10-mile. In addition to our 5K walk, wife and I also logged about another 2 miles walking from the car, then after the events to Haloburger for lunch with our daughter, son-in-law and grand daughters, and then back to the car. About 5 miles, all told for the day. I found that although my hips and knees gave me continuous pain, I was able to carry on. Don't know about next year, though. Actually, didn't know about doing it this year until day before yesterday when the people Sue was going to walk with had to back out. I was the only one left - I did it for her.

Also got in some quality machining time on the next article, a CNC X-Y table, before and after the Walk.

dockrat
08-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Nothing too exciting. Mowed the lawn then made a new end for my shopvac hose. The old end was falling to pieces and it was only a couple of years old.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1432Medium.jpg

edit. Dang....can't edit the typo in the title :(

Hal
08-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Polepen

If you get a chance please post a picture of your Rivett mill. I never knew they made one.

Hal

Tony Ennis
08-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Mom took me out to dinner today. And I pruned one of her wisterias.

spope14
08-28-2010, 10:55 PM
exercised, continued to refurbish my pop-up camper. Got the wheels off, caulked any potential dried out caulking areas, changed the door handle, played with the grandson while doing this, turned a small plastic end end for an awning support pole since it was right next to the lathe in the garage. Exercised again, and finished the evening by putting about 100 balls on my little putting green. Things are getting better, just takes twice the time as usual for the moment.

jeremy13
08-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Got new to me mill installed and up and running. See new tool gloat.http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=43309

ulav8r
08-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Burned up the motor on my Rockwell lathe. Sparks and smoke released.

dockrat
08-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Made a rollaway work table out of old bedframes I had kicking around and the last of my leftover hardwood flooring. No credit cards or bank accounts were injured in the making of this table. OOOOPS, I lied. I had to buy 2 swivel casters. Just have to get it painted now.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1433Medium.jpg

winchman
08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I worked on the smoker that's going to be raffled of later this month at a charity event. Put together the tongue for the trailer, and made the hinges for the firebox door.

Then I fabricated a stand for a piece of equipment in the electrical classroom.

Then I worked on a rear axle for the instructor's Jeep, setting up the new differential gears he bought. That involves setting the pinion depth, checking the backlash, and getting the correct contact pattern, etc. It's a lot closer than when I started, but there's still some work to do.

MrDan
08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=dockrat]Whipped up some quick and dirty load binder fittings. Two chain links welded together. Slip them into the line at any position.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1428Medium.jpg

Now why didn't I think of making those? Simple and perfect. Must...find...old....chain.

Carld
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Well, this morning I put the finishing touches on my new 3pt mount for my grader blade. The original one was very flimsy.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P8310001.jpg

Then me and my CJ3 finished traveling the county roads. Now I have driven the Jeep on all the county roads in Spencer Co.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/yeathatshim/P6050001.jpg

Tony Ennis
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Working on a flintlock rifle. I'm like a monkey doing math.

winchman
09-02-2010, 03:22 AM
I made and installed the hinges for the lid on the smoker tank, and welded the coupler on the tongue I did yesterday.

I repaired a broken garden rake.

I welded up some aluminum frames for shelves in a storage cabinet on a work truck.

I cut a drop-in tailgate for a little utility trailer out of diamond plate aluminum.

madman
09-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Finishing 11 tapered shaft (MT2) arbours for a cinci drill sharpener. Had a Nuclear certified welder actually weld some 8620 onto the O-1 arbour material, twice i asked him (as ithe piece was glowing hot) isnt it gonna be too hard to machine>> He says no. Then later maybe grind down a bit then machine? Anyhow take them home and they machine perfectly well . I thought they would be near Rockwell 61 or so? Regardless im impressed with his welding skills. Now some left hand and right hand threads and theyre done .

Greg Menke
09-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Milling a pair of t-nuts out of 1"x1.250"x5" long 1020 bar so I can fit a couple turret tool posts to my lathe. 2" shell-endmill on my Nichols, .320" width of cut, .100 depth- 6 passes per side to form the "t", nice big blue chips coming off like sleet, very gratifying.

Then I started shoveling the 3 cubic yards of gravel, hauling it one wheelbarrow load at a time over around the garage... good exercise I guess...

Greg

BWS
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Whew-eeee.......after a long day of,hurry up "I need it yesterday" and a boatload of "gottahave's".........I'm gonna crack a cold one and go mow some grass.Iffin anyboby needs me,tuff chit.BW

camdigger
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Packing the trailer for a 5 day excursion to a private campground in the Foothills of Alberta. Should have the campfire lit by 19:30 MDST

vpt
09-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Connecting rod broke on my IR air compressor the other day. Today I pulled the two pieces out of the compressor and welded them back together. Put the rod/piston back in and it seems to be running fine again. We'll see how long it lasts.

winchman
09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Spool-gunned some more aluminum frames for storage racks, a continuation of the job from yesterday.

Spool-gunned a broken aluminum intake manifold off a late-model Ford V8 engine for one of the guys in the auto-tech program.

Fitted and welded the door hinges on the firebox for the smoker, fitted the firebox to the smoker tank, and tack-welded the firebox in place. The horizontal tank is 24" in diameter, and the firebox fits into a cutout in the end bell. With the tank level and the smokestack vertical, the firebox has to be level both lengthwise and crosswise, and the joint can't have any gaps more than 3/16" wide. About 75% of this one was under 1/8", so I was pretty happy with the fit. It gets welded all the way around inside and out. That's my Tuesday morning project.

SteveF
09-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I waterproofed a foundation and taught a 10 week old colt how to wear a halter.

Steve.

mochinist
09-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Nothing too exciting. Mowed the lawn then made a new end for my shopvac hose. The old end was falling to pieces and it was only a couple of years old.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1432Medium.jpg

edit. Dang....can't edit the typo in the title :(I think I got the idea from Frank Ford, but I'm not positive, anyways, use some PVC and make a smaller end that will fit in the t slots of your machines, for vacuuming up chips. works great

dockrat
09-02-2010, 10:46 PM
I think I got the idea from Frank Ford, but I'm not positive, anyways, use some PVC and make a smaller end that will fit in the t slots of your machines, for vacuuming up chips. works great

been there, done that. works great:D

AiR_GuNNeR
09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Cut out the three sides to a risor to mount a Kurt Power Drawbar meant for a Bridgeport onto my square column lathe. Got them faced and squared up to size. Still need to cut out some windows on the sides, cut out the mounting feet, drill/tap/screw the whole shebang together.

vpt
09-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Connecting rod broke on my IR air compressor the other day. Today I pulled the two pieces out of the compressor and welded them back together. Put the rod/piston back in and it seems to be running fine again. We'll see how long it lasts.

Well that didn't last long. Broke again today I assume next to the weld. The pot metal they used for the rod/piston combo is brittle and very weak. I ma going to see if I can find a new one, if not I may make one.

hardtail
09-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Acquired a haybine and discovered the previous PTO shaft was a lil short for my tractor/hitch setup. Went to look at the local farm supply and found yokes, tubes, u joints to the tune of $100+ so went down and located the correct size rectangular tubing for $5, machined down the original to sleeve and weld the extension on.........now to find the safety tubing before frost visits.

Deja Vu
09-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Repaired a Tamron 500mm catadioptric tripod mount bracket thumbscrew.
Saturday I got this lens at a yard sale for $7 bucks. One of the two solid black anodized bronze thumbscrews was broken at the knob body.
I used a 4mm screw laying around and turned one end and threaded a 6-32 thread(didn't have a 'good' 4mm-0.7 tap/die). Then I drilled the knob out and threaded it 6-32 to accept the end of the screw. The center portion of the knob shaft is turned smaller so that the thumbscrew stays in place after releasing the tripod bracket. I put locktite on the 6-32 threads, cut the 4mm thread to length.
Put bluing on the now steel screw and made it to match the existing good thumbscrew. All is good now....including the lens elements!
http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/78/43/42124378/photos/General-parts/500mm%20Catadioptric.JPG

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/78/43/42124378/photos/General-parts/Original%20and%20new%20parts.JPG

http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/78/43/42124378/photos/General-parts/tripod%20mount%20and%20thumbscrew.JPG

Deja Vu
09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
What am I up to today?
My son came over and picked up the mirror lens, but not before we sifted through numerous(piles) of photos from when he was much younger.
We laughed!
.....and then went outside to "snap" some closeups of the multitude of Yellowjackets(bumblebees) working upon the flowering sedums.

Edit in: For those who might be interested in using older mirror lens on the newish DSLR bodies, I found this review and accompanying superb photos informative.
http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=827 (http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=827)
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasrubach/sets/72157600765360763/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasrubach/sets/72157600765360763/)

gary350
09-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Not up to anything I been sick in bed for 3 days. Its not right a person can not buy over the counter antibiotics in this country. I got some antibotics today so I will be getting well soon. Doctor visit $100 for 5 minutes exam and antiobiotics $30. I wish I could make $100 every 5 minutes.

Arcane
09-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Today I had the pleasure of removing a broken off flush metering needle from an old one barrel Rochester carb for a friend of mine. Quite a while back I bought a couple of packs of small endmills (1/8" shank) from Princess Auto and used a 1/16" one to make a slot in the end of it for a small "precision" screwdriver. It was easy-peasy and the broken off needle is still serviceable until he can hunt down a good one.

I also had the pleasure of having a large swelling develop today under my left jaw, tender to the touch and makes me look like I have the mumps for the second time. Oh well, we will see what my doctor has to say about it this evening when I go see him.

J Tiers
09-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Continued tapping my feet waiting for the contractor to receive the building permit from the city to do some repair work in the area which is the "grinding room"............... and which now has stuff under tarps and pushed away from the work zone.

Already had that because of having a section of basement drain pipe replaced.... Figured I'd get the other stuff done while I had it all packed up, but never figured it would take 3 months....

Tony Ennis
09-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Over the weekend I demolished six 4x15 dog runs and stacked it all for easy disposal. The dogs were basically on a deck (wife wanted it that way to keep them out of the mud.) The sides and doors weren't too hard to get down. Getting the deck parts up was... tough.

I also got 8' of pegboard up in my shop. Hey, you take what you can get.

Today, I mowed some grass and coded some Java.

winchman
09-08-2010, 03:30 AM
Brazed a broken rocker shaft support for an old John Deere tractor engine.

Welded a broken deck lift arm for a lawn mower.

Removed the old/bad bearings from the motor and arbor of a table saw.

Welded up a handle for large water shutoff valves for the school maintenance shop.

Completed welding the firebox to the tank on the smoker. Made and installed the slide for the damper on the firebox door. Finished welding the hinges on the firebox door.

KIMFAB
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm working on my new camper.

http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/forum/sheda008.jpg

Actually it is a free tuff-shed that will get cleaned up and installed at my rental.
The renter needed some storage and it needed to be cheap.
It was harder loading and unloading the forklift than the rest of the job.

m_kilde
09-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi All

Well this was yesterday, but hope it will be acceptable

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/m_kilde/Billede219.jpg

The photo shows a section of my current project on building a two cylinder double acting steam engine

ulav8r
09-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Tested expansion of bullets in water. 40 S&W Black Talon on the left, .380 PMC Starfire in center and on right. Not happy with the shed jackets on the .380, but the cores look great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v60/ulav8r/PICT0039-vert.jpg