PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Switch Help?

ulav8r
08-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Furnas A-14 drum switch on a Rockwell-Delta 10 inch lathe. The motor seems weak so I decided to check that the wiring was correct. Suspected 240 hookup and 120 input. The wiring diagram on the Rockwell by AO Smith motor showed T1-T3-T5 motor leads connected to one power lead and T2-T4-T8 to the other power lead. Switch T5 and T8 to reverse the motor. Found the power leads connected correctly for forward. The leads from the reverse position(red and black) were not connected to the motor, also when the switch was in the reverse positon there was no power to the contacts that the dis-connected wires were on.

I tore down the switch and found one damaged contact inside. Will check for replacements but where do I connect the wires? How can it reverse with the wires permantly connected inside the motor box? Currently T1, T3, and T5 are twisted together with one power lead.

Don Young
08-21-2010, 09:28 PM
As you thought, you cannot use a reversing switch with the reversing leads connected in the motor . You have to disconnect them and extend them to the switch. I can't help with the specific terminal connections, but someone else probably can if you can't figure it out from the diagram in the switch.

ulav8r
08-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks, I found a schematic for the switch, will check Ugly's and work on it tomorrow.