X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sidegrinder
    • Nov 2005

How do digital protractors work?

Probably up too late, but I've seen these online pretty cheap and they've got me wondering. I'm not talking about the angle block type, but the kind with 2 rules attached. Had a weird idea about modifying one and putting it on the crank of a dividing head. If it would hold even .5degrees accuracy on the crank, and then go through the 40:1 worm, it might be kinda/sorta accurate for alot of jobs? Or not?? Do you think you need to keep both arms attached to the display for it to operate? Thanks, Rob.
  • winchman
    • Aug 2003

I'd GUESS it's just as accurate as one of those digital calipers, and that they take the same kind of encoder and wrap it as opposed to leaving it straight. The accuracy would depend on the diameter of the encoding strip and the fineness of the steps.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• Paul Alciatore
      • May 2002

Interesting thought. 0.5 degree accuracy is +/- 30 minutes. With a 40:1 worm you are down to +/- 3/4 of a minute or 45 seconds. Most RTs and dividing heads are specified around +/- 30 seconds or better with a least count of +/- 10 seconds when provided with a Vernier scale. We are in the same ball park and this would be useful for many purposes.

If the digital protractor has an output jack like the digital calipers, you may have access to a higher accuracy signal. Using an external reading device, most digital calipers can be read to higher accuracy (or at least finer readings) than the standard +/- 0.0005" available on the built-in readouts.
      Paul A.
      s
      Golden Triangle, SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

• winchman
        • Aug 2003

I did a little more reading, and came up with this recommendation from:

"Best Digital Protractor:
        The Bosch DWM40LK Miter Finder Digital Protractor/Angle Kit with Extension Leg and Case is the top selling digital protractor on Amazon with a near perfect review history. The Bosch digital protractor is one of the most versatile measuring tools you'll ever own. You are essentially getting 4 tools in one - angle finder, protractor, level, and compound cut calculator. Anyone who owns a compound miter saw needs to look into this tool. The Miter Finder function lets the user push a button and the DWM40LK will calculate the exact miter and bevel angles on your crown molding cuts. The digital protractor is ideal for measuring roof angles, fitting up windows/doors, cabinet and counter installation, checking of banisters and rails, and checking and transferring angles. The battery will last up to 100 hours, the leg extension is up to 16 inches, vial accuracy is +/- .05 degrees, electronic accuracy is +/- .1 degrees, and readout accuracy is +/- .1 degrees. The measuring range is from 0 to 220 degrees. See the Bosch DWM40LK and the Bosch DAF220K online at Amazon."

At close to $175, it's not cheap.

Lower in price (but apparently still pretty good) is the $30 Denali, covered in part here:
        This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Comment

• sidegrinder
          • Nov 2005

This is the type I referred to. This particular example might not be of the highest quality, but it has some interesting features:

It measure the full 360 degrees, has a zero set, and displays up to 999.9 consecutive degrees. Claimed .1 degree accuracy, but would be worthwhile if even if it was actually few multiples of that. Looks like it would be relatively easy to adapt the pivot to the worm's crankshaft...

Comment

• BillTodd
            • May 2010

This type uses the same type of capacitive sensor as used on those cheap digital verniers, except the track and pick-up fingers are in a circular pattern.

Comment

• winchman
              • Aug 2003

I guessed right.

Comment

Working...
              X