PDA

View Full Version : Cut knurling tool again

gr8life
08-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Just got the last part for the build of the tool. A little confused about the od of the drill rod to start with. I assume from the bill of materials in the Mar./Apr. issue we will start w 5/16 for the small & 9/16 for the large. I also assume that we will wind up w/ the proper size gear.
Tell me if I am right or wrong please.
thanks
ed

Bill Pace
08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm building it too -- (or....trying to:confused:)

Are you referring to the gear hob size? On page 55 in figure 10 it shows .750. Or the gear size? On page 56 figs 19 and 20 give that. Maybe Macgyver will jump in here later and confirm it...

I've had the mag couple weeks now, but had another rather large project going, so have got to clear it before I can get back on it, hopefully this week - I really didnt have ANY idea the project was gonna run 5 issues!-- yes, Ed, there is yet another issue to go!

George Bulliss
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
The finished OD of the small gear is .275 and the finished OD of the larger gear is .525. The sizes listed in the Bill of Materials are standard stock sizes and the material will need to be turned to the final OD prior to machining the teeth.

Bill is correct, the OD of the cutter is .750 and the directions for making and using it are based on this size, though the information is included to allow you to figure out the numbers for different sizes of cutters and gears.

George

gr8life
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks. Now on to the next problem. Again I will assume we will set the div. head to divide the large gear by 40 divisions & the small one for 20 divisions?
Sorry to be so slow on the learning curve.
thanks
ed
ps GB to the rescue again

George Bulliss
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Again, I will assume we will set the div. head to divide the large gear by 40 divisions & the small one for 20 divisions?

That is correct. Note that when cutting the large gears the tooth form does not need to go all the way around the blank. Mike mentions that 20 teeth will work, but the dividing head will still need to be set for 40 divisions.

George

gr8life
08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Once again thanks. Drill rod on order, two jobs and our 40th anniv. ahead of the tool. Hope to finish this week.
thanks
ed