PDA

View Full Version : Acetylene sensor

taydin
08-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Can anybody recommend a good acetylene sensor to be used with an alarm system?

Evan
08-23-2010, 09:40 AM
No recommendation but try looking for either a "flammable gas" sensor or a Hydrogen sensor. Many Infrared CO2 detectors are also able to sense acetylene and other hydrocarbon gases.

Black_Moons
08-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Yea I seem to recall I once helped someone with an 'organic solvent' detector, And its detection list seemed to include just about everything gas or easily evaporatable that burned. I would not be suprised if it detected actylene too.

Another solution is to take a few sniffs from the unlit torch and *REMEMBER* that smell. Make sure everyone in the house knows it too!
Actylene doesnt smell too much, but it does definately smell. And it would be very good to know exactly what smell it is, so you don't ignore it and think it might be whatever you recently painted, or some solvents you spilt, etc.

digger_doug
08-23-2010, 12:07 PM
A standard "4 gas monitor" should get what you need.

Check with MSA company. They make a simple handheld one
that gets used for everything done underground, and one
check is "flammability", see what it will detect.

taydin
08-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I memorized the smell of acetylene already. I resembles the smell of garlic :)

My homeshop is away from the apartment that I am living in, so nobody is there to notice the smell. I already have an alarm system there that is monitored by an alarm company. I just wanted to add an acetylene sensor, but the company doesn't have any such sensors. They only have LPG, CO and similar mainstream sensors.

I have inquired about acetylene sensors, but the ones that are sold here are very expensive (500$ for the sensor, and it's only good for 5 years :mad: )

Once I have installed this sensor, now I am thinking about the scenario where the sensor has tripped. What am I supposed to do? If I go there and open the door, even the slightest rubbing of clothing or the key rubbing to the key slot or my shoes rubbing to the concrete floor might create a minute arc and the whole building might blow up ...

I would also have to make sure that no electrical equipment that can create an arc is left running ... Heaters, fans, even electronic circuits that have relays in them ...

Maybe I shouldn't bother with this and just mount the acetylene tank outside of the building. But then how am I going to turn the damn thing off in an emergency. :confused:

chipmaker4130
08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Just hang a note to self at eye level on the door leaving the shop: "check the gas". These things don't just spring spontaneous leaks. How many sets are out there, and how often does one of them develop a catastrophic leak? We hear a lot about propane and natural gas leaks/fires/explosions, but not acetylene. If you just make sure to turn the bottle off, what ever leaks out of the regulator/line won't be a problem.

Black_Moons
08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Don't leave your lines pressurised in the first place. And iirc you should back off the setting on the regulator to remove pressure off the diaphram.

Evan
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Put in a ceiling or attic vent to outside. Acetylene is lighter than air and will not pool near the floor. If the highest point in the shop is vented it will escape instead of bulding up if a leak occurs.

Your Old Dog
08-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I simply turn my O/A system off and drain the lines to take pressure of the gauges. When the gauges show empty then I screw in the regulator till it just takes a little spring tension off the seals. I had one stick shut on me once.

There is one thing I do, if there is any question in my mind as to wether the shop is shut down properly I go back out there and double check, then I can rest easy for the rest of the night.

My working days told me to always do things in an order of your choosing and you are less likely to forget something. My torches are pretty much secured without much thought and in order.