PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying a Haas TM1P

jeremy13
08-23-2010, 12:29 PM
It’s a used machine 2008 mod. Any known problems or short comings. This will be a learn as we go machine. I don’t know the hours on the machine as of now. 71/2 HP 6000RPM spindle
http://www.haascnc.com/details.asp?ID=TM-1P&webid=VMC_TM#VMCTreeModel

PaulT
08-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Check the Haas forum on www.practicalmachinist.com , it has some good threads on this machine.

Overall these machines are generally liked by their owners, but don't expect it to remove metal as fast as a standard VMC, it doesn't have the power, speed or rigidity of a regular VMC. For prototyping and small runs its a nice machine though.

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

sidneyt
08-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a great addition to any home shop. I wish I had one.

PaulT
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that these machines have been holding their prices really well, making them relatively expensive on the used market. I've never seen a used TM1P for less than $21k or $22k or so.

The reason that seems steep is that amount of dough can get you a pretty nice full blown VMC.

Paul T.

jeremy13
08-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Went and looked at the machine. Wow that is a nice machine and clean. It only has 3600 hours of on time and is going to come with the 4th axes. He will lode it for me. No tooling or vice so a trip to glacern website is up next. I wont be able to get the machine tell Friday this is going to be one long week. :( I gave him 24,000 for it.
http://i33.tinypic.com/27xgzro.jpg

PaulT
08-23-2010, 09:39 PM
With the 4th axis that's a pretty good deal.

Before you move it I'd call Haas and ask them what the correct procedure is for moving it, typically on these machines you need to block up the spindle one way or the other.

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

doctor demo
08-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Itís a used machine 2008 mod. Any known problems or short comings. This will be a learn as we go machine. I donít know the hours on the machine as of now. 71/2 HP 6000RPM spindle
http://www.haascnc.com/details.asp?ID=TM-1P&webid=VMC_TM#VMCTreeModel
It's o.k. I guess, but it aint no Bridgeport :D :D

Clean looking machine, I'm a little jealous .
Good luck, and take care with the move.

Steve

jeremy13
08-23-2010, 10:25 PM
He did say some thing about bolting the spindle down for the move. At least he would do it for me. I'm still not sure about strapping it down to the flat bed truck. Did find some open bolt holes on the frame. Will make some D rings to go there. And will take out the plexie windows. And what else? Maybe put the machine on some plywood to keep it from sliding on the metal truck bed. I'm with you on the call to Haas about the move.

MickeyD
08-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I would not worry about taking the windows out to move it - they don't do that when they ship it from the factory and I promise that they will leak coolant after that. Make sure that you do tie the door shut and block the head. Also tie up the pendant if it has one. If you are going to put it in a garage, make sure that you block the head as low as you can while it is still under power. Nothing like having to pull cable and air out into the yard just so you can lower the head and get it inside. Should be a good machine, just let it run in it's happy range.

Steve Seebold
08-24-2010, 12:09 AM
You got a deal mister.

I had a TM1 in my shop with a 5C 4th axis. I paid a little over $37,000.00 for it. I wish I had it now.

It had a 4000 RPM spindle, and moved 200 IPM. I would cut any material on it, but I didn't abuse it. I never used larger than a half inch end mill for cutting steel and never larger than a 3/8 for titanium and inconel. For aluminum I would go as large as 5/8. Believe me, it's a lot less expensive to bust an end mill than it is to replace a spindle.

The new TMs's are fully enclosed. I guess someone gor hurt on an open machine, so Haas had to protect themselves.

Ken_Shea
08-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Jeremy,
That is a 6000rpm and 400ipm machine.

You got a very good deal.
You're gonna love it!

If you have any money left :) don't skimp on CAD/CAM.
Consider OneCNC.

Have had a TM1 since 2004 and really like it.
The TM1 is primarily an open machine or quickly made so, that openness is one of the reasons I selected the TM1 and has/will come in handy.
Also the TM1 can be boosted to the same 6000rpm/400ipm via the controller.

But, I'd trade you even up :D

rode2rouen
08-24-2010, 09:18 AM
It's o.k. I guess, but it aint no Bridgeport :D :D

Dammmit! I just sprayed Dr.Pepper all over my monitor!!!

Rex

jeremy13
08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I will defiantly tell him to lower the spindle as low as it will go and block it. A few more questions. If I need parts and call Haas are they going to tell me that ;That machine is not yours and we will not sell you parts. If so how do I go about fixing that. And I keep reading about Intuitive Programming. What does that do for me.

Cheeseking
08-24-2010, 02:05 PM
You might ask the guy if he has the original shipping bracket for the spindle laying around somewhere. Every Haas we bought (even the auction ones) come with one. Bolts to the t-slots.

PaulT
08-24-2010, 03:21 PM
I will defiantly tell him to lower the spindle as low as it will go and block it. A few more questions. If I need parts and call Haas are they going to tell me that ;That machine is not yours and we will not sell you parts. If so how do I go about fixing that. And I keep reading about Intuitive Programming. What does that do for me.

Jeremy, Haas support and service is really good, they'll help you even though you are buying the machine used and they'll give you free phone advice on the machine.

I wouldn't dink around with the spindle blocking before you move it, if this guy doesn't have the spindle bracket anymore call Haas and get one or ask them what you need to do to move it safely. I'm sure the seller has good intentions but talk to Haas before you move it to make sure its done right.

Good luck-

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

PaulT
08-24-2010, 03:36 PM
The new TMs's are fully enclosed. I guess someone gor hurt on an open machine, so Haas had to protect themselves.

This is pretty weird, as Steve described the new TM1's come with the full enclosure but no tool changer, and they cost about 4 grand more than the old TM-1's.

So you have to open the doors and lean in to do every tool change?

That's pretty bizarre, I doubt they're going to sell very many of these machines without the tool changers, but unfortunately that really bumps up the entry price.

Its says the enclosure is for "CE" compliance, but that's a European standard, I don't understand why they're forcing that on the US machines also.

If you're forced to get an enclosed machine, by the time you add on the toolchanger, you're knocking on the door of the price of a Sharp 2412, which is a much beefier and more capable machine, I think Haas is going the wrong way with their pricing on these machines.

Paul T.
www.power-t.com

squirrel
08-24-2010, 03:49 PM
You will be very happy with the machine. The service from HFO is excellent!! The spindle brackets are painted red and usually in a blue plastic tote along with a grease gun.

A.K. Boomer
08-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Score one for the good ole USA, My friends got the TM1 and its the bomb, not a lick of trouble and solid design, sounds like you got a real good deal on it;)

jeremy13
08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
I have a call in to the seller he thinks he has the bracket in the bottom of a tool box. Heís looking as I type this. He has one other TM1P and a TM3P. He thinks he can come up with one of the brackets. Is there a spechl grease to use on the machine and the CAT40 tool holders?

He found the bracket.

A.K. Boomer
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Its funny U should mention the special grease for the tool holders and in fact that's been about the only real quirk I can think of as if u don't use something the spindle seems to want to hang on to the tool - the tool changer always wins but you can tell it's a tough release -- a thin layer of vasoline seems to do the trick.

Cheeseking
08-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Best way we found to avoid the sticking is to not leave the holder sitting in the spindle too long. We don't have the problem with tools sticking in the changer only in the spindle if left in say overnight. I have my guys remove the holder from the spindle every night unless it's a critical setup or something.

Toolguy
08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
A thin uniform coating of Cocoa Butter works well on collet tapers. I use the solid stick kind. I mainly use it on 5C collets with the lever collet closer on the lathe. You can find it in the grocery store in the hand lotion dept.

HTRN
08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
The issue with the toolholder sticking in the spindle can drive you crazy - one shop I worked at, tried everything under the sun, and you'd still occasionally get one that sticks. Finally solved it when they started giving every tool shank a light coating of PTFE from an aerosol can. Worked great.

macona
08-25-2010, 03:48 PM
You just spent $24k in the machine. Do the right thing and spend another $1k and have a rigger move it. Anything happens and it is covered under their insurance.

brandonorsak
08-26-2010, 07:34 PM
While you are unloading it and moving it in the shop I will just have some sweet tea and supervise. Don't want you to drop it on your toes...... No, it is gonna be hard to see the machine sit there look at it. You better start drawing parts now.

jeremy13
08-26-2010, 09:44 PM
We got the lien holder issue taken care of. So tomorrow we go get the machine!!!:D And then unload it that will be a small issue. We have an all terrain forklift. That can lift it no problem. Getting it in place might be a problem. I can get a pallet jack to help with the final place meant. And then on to wiring. The machine will take 220V or 3 phase. Witch one is better?

Toolguy
08-26-2010, 09:47 PM
You probably want the 220 and 3 Phase both together.