PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor outside?

goose
08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Good idea, bad idea? Let's say one of those 80 gallon vertical units, bolted down to a concrete pad. Have to put some pipes and wiring thru the wall. Sound abatement, rain, sunlight, = build an enclosure? or maybe surround with bales of hay?
Semi-rural area. Neighbors probably 60 yards away.

Thanks,

Gary

oldbikerdude37
08-23-2010, 05:25 PM
good idea just dont ignore it.

SGW
08-23-2010, 06:29 PM
If you live in the Frozen North, icing up might be a problem in the winter. If it gets really cold, synthetic compressor oil might be a good idea, too, so the motor doesn't bust a gut on a frigid morning.

PeteM
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd build an enclosure if my neighbors were only 180 feet away. Another option -- assuming it's something like a Quincy with a piped inlet filter -- keep the compressor inside but pipe the air inlet and filter outside. Cuts the noise inside considerably. Not quite so annoying for neighbors.

Boucher
08-23-2010, 07:24 PM
For me it was a good idea. My neighbors are 300 yds away so they don’t hear it. My patio is 60 yards away and I do hear it but it rarely runs when I am using the patio. This shows my installation next to the old barn.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/IMG_0008.jpg
My shop is about 65 ft away. I can still hear it run but it is not annoying. The blast cabinet is in the old barn when the rollup door is open it is still noisy. Here in central Texas it doesn’t get cold enough to be a problem with it outside. I have an extended drain valve that makes it easy to drain moisture on the way to the shop. My compressor is not bolted down just setting on some rubber pads.

Gravy
08-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Mine's outside. It's a Champion light industrial unit. By the time it rusts out due to weather exposure, I'll be compost.

EddyCurr
08-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Doesn't anyone separate the compressor unit from the tank?

This makes it easier to isolate the noise maker in a smaller enclosure.

Eliminates any resonance from the tank and the tank can be kept
inside where it may be less subject to ambiant temperature variations
and condensation arising from same.

lakeside53
08-26-2010, 12:45 AM
You can just take the compressor and motor off the tank, and mount them on a separate base. I have to do this in my barn attic because of head room. The tank doesn't need to be inside - a decent coat of paint will stop the tank rusting on the exterior.

Black_Moons
08-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Course, you gotta plumb the compressor to the tank with copper or similar high temp materials.. And keep the line away from flamables.

EddyCurr
08-26-2010, 01:35 PM
The tank doesn't need to be inside - a decent coat of paint will stop the
tank rusting on the exterior.Condensation on the inside of the tank is a consideration.

In my climate, temperatures vary from below -40ºF to +100ºF ambiant.
Direct sun in mid winter frequently causes thawing in sub zero temperatures.
Stabilizing the tank temperature where possible helps contain moisture
accumulation.