PDA

View Full Version : Buy a gas can lately?

Too_Many_Tools
08-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I did.

It's been awhile since I had purchased a gas can...I have always purchased metal cans and treat them well...the ones I have are decades old.

So when I was in a store recently I purchased some five gallon plastic ones.

When I got them home I started looking at the spouts that came with them...WTH?

http://www.sparepartsnmore.com/displaypic.php?src=1&image=images/I/31j4tNrrO9L._SL160_.jpg

Obviously I have been passed by with the march of gas can spout technology... ;<) ...and some designer had way too much time on his hands.

The new spouts are going goodbye...any suggestions for a HSM buildable gas can spout that works?

You might find this of interest...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1899083

Thanks

TMT

mcskipper
08-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Thank you mister government!

Try using one of the new spouts on a boat that is moving all over.
I'm looking for gas cans @ rummage sales.

Or I will machine an adapter that replaces the no good spout with a simple gas hose.

davidh
08-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Or I will machine an adapter that replaces the no good spout with a simple gas hose.

again, another "why didn't i think of that" idea.

i have 6 of those beautiful 5 & 6 gal round plastic cans and only 1 flexible, dribbling dam spout. but i have secure caps for most of them, , , , good project for tomorrow. lawn mowers, tractors, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, snowblowers, (thats coming sooner than i want). and i dribble gas on all of them.

stand back ! ! ! ! ! i just don't know how good this is gonna be .

AlphaGeek
08-23-2010, 09:28 PM
My problem isn't with nozzle function -- I have a couple of CA-spec plastic gas cans in my garage that work dandy for splash-free and zero-overflow refueling of various small gas engines.

My problem is with the nozzle-to-can mating setup. It can take me 3-5 attempts, with torque levels that feel like they're within 10% of sudden thread failure, to get a nozzle reinstalled that (a) doesn't leak when dispensing fuel, and (b) ends up with the dispensing nozzle +/- 5 degrees of straight.

Short version, I'd be fine with the new nozzles if I could repeatably remove and reinstall them straight and leak-free. Hell, I'd pay $5 more per can if someone would offer a design that solves those problems.

-AG

Gravy
08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Classic example of the worst of "too much bureaucracy" intersecting "too much stupidity".

Ya know that local moron who routinely spills 1/3rd of the gas on the ground trying to pour through a funnel?

The local bureaucrat saw him doing that...

And that's how we got here.

CCWKen
08-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Yep. I bought one a while back to replace an old "can". Trying to fill a tractor with those things is a real PITA. Took the old spout and put it on the new can. As soon as the "Gument" finds out, they'll probably change the threads on the newer cans. (Maybe they have already, I don't now.) :eek:

Too_Many_Tools
08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Classic example of the worst of "too much bureaucracy" intersecting "too much stupidity".

Ya know that local moron who routinely spills 1/3rd of the gas on the ground trying to pour through a funnel?

The local bureaucrat saw him doing that...

And that's how we got here.

You are likely right.

I once watched a weekend boater pour 5 gallons of gas in a 2 gallon tank...and only had a gallon in the tank when he was done.

I couldn't believe it...it was like watching a train wreck.

Later after the gas can purchases I went back to see if they had any others...$10 for a 5 gallon plastic can....$50 for a 5 gallon metal can.

Damn...I think I will have to treat my existing metal cans better...kiss them goodnight and tuck them into bed.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
08-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know where to find the metal flex hose that gas cans once had?

I think I want to make some flexible spouts.

TMT

lynnl
08-23-2010, 10:34 PM
I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago.

I stopped to gas up at Athens, AL, along I-65, midway between B'ham and Nashville, and just as I finished filling up, a guy approached me and asked me to buy a can of gas for $5, so he could get him something to eat.

He had been hitch hiking on the interstate and a Mexican had picked him up and brought him there and filled up a 2.5 gal nice steel gas can and gave it to him. Obviously thinking the man (hitch hiker) had run out of gas.
He said he never could make the Mexican understand that he didn't need/couldn't use the gas. :D

In fact it was now an albatross around his neck, since he was afoot. :D

I didn't particularly want it, but I went ahead and gave him the $5 for it, for which he was grateful.

Was a weird, but funny scenario.

JoeLee
08-23-2010, 11:20 PM
I have 2 5 gal. plastic gas cans made by Gott, later bought out by Rubbermaid. I recently called Rubbermaid to see if they had spout parts and of course they are out of production. I can't find any other parts that will fit either. The only good can I have left is an old 5 gallon army can that once had a metal flex neck. Todays cans are junk.

JL............

RobbieKnobbie
08-23-2010, 11:28 PM
I bought a can with one of the new spouts. MISERABLE! the pour rate was about a quarter of what it should have been.

I kept an eye out for a can discarded by the side of the road. A little patience paid off. A few weeks later I found one: the thread was a perfect fit and the 'new' accordioned valve-less spout pours as fast as I could hope for.

I figure any hydrocarbons released into the atmosphere by the open spout is more than offset by the global warming that was avoided by my not blowing my top waiting for the stupid hi-tech spout to pour.

wierdscience
08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
I stick it to the man by using gallon anti-freeze bottles for saw gas and five gallon hydraulic buckets for the rest.

Don't need no stinkin funnel either,I used to own a 63' Chevy PU and can still pour engine oil from 2 feet away at night through a 1-1/2" moving target and not spill a drop:D

wooleybooger
08-23-2010, 11:48 PM
i hate the new cans. makes me wish for the days(1971-73) when my brother and me would tie a pushmower to the seatpost of our bikes with a gallon Clorox jug of gas tied to the handlebar and pedal our services. and yes, we did target the widow women.he took the north,i took the south. we could make $20-30 on a saturday. not bad for a couple of boys.

bborr01
08-23-2010, 11:50 PM
I still have several Eagle brand metal gas cans. These were excellent cans except that after maybe 15 or 20 years, the plastic spout deteriorated and cracked.

I could never find new spouts so I bought some plastic cans. The spouts lasted a cuple years or so and broke.

Went to the local hardware store and bought a replacement spout.

Wrong thread.

Bought a couple more plastic 6 gallon cans form wally world. (walmart)

These are the ones mentioned in an earlier post that take about 10 minutes to pour into my mower. These don't have a vent except in the nozzle. JUNK.

If anyone knows of a source for spouts for the eagle cans, (I think the threads are the ones that were used for a hundred years or so) I would be interested in hearing about it.

Brian

x39
08-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Here in Maine it is now illegal for stores to sell the replacement spouts for the old style cans. The nanny state marches on.

Bill736
08-24-2010, 12:25 AM
I've spilled far more gasoline using new govt. spec. cans than ever was spilled, or evaporated, from older style cans. The ones currently sold by Wally World are the worst I've encountered, and sadly I bought 6 of them . There's no vent, other than leaving the cap on slightly loose, which lets rain water seep into the can. If you tighten the caps, pressure builds up inside the can and it bulges badly. Then, if you push on the spout to open the flow, gas shoots out under pressure all over everything.
Having learned that the hard way, now I simply remove the spout entirely, and pour into a funnel. I leave the caps slightly loose, and cover the cans with a tarp. I fail to understand how this can design reduces evaporative emissions and spills.

Liger Zero
08-24-2010, 12:47 AM
...I see I'm going to have to get a extrusion blowmolder and start making gas-cans so ya'll stop complaining. :D

Dr Stan
08-24-2010, 12:50 AM
sounds like you guys need something like this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326710_200326710

or this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200430883_200430883

Todd Tolhurst
08-24-2010, 01:10 AM
The pump in that thing is mostly good for priming the siphon. You'll squeeze that handle an awful lot to actually pump a gallon of fuel.

I have a small compact utility tractor, and it's kind of a pain to fuel from the CARB-compliant fuel cans. 5 gallons of diesel is heavy enough to be awkward to hold/balance on the filler in the hood of the tractor, and lacking a vent in the can, you end up holding it there for quite a while.

Of course, if a fella had a lathe, he might be able to make himself a new cap for that can, after sawing off the factory spout to liberate the threaded cap ring. That new cap might have an external nipple for a filler hose, and an internal nipple for a dip tube, and a threaded hole for a brass air fitting where he could introduce a few PSI of air pressure from a bike pump or a portable air tank. Then he'd have himself his own little filling station.

Where did I put that 2" UHMW PE rod?

Dr Stan
08-24-2010, 01:13 AM
you could always rig up a 12 volt fuel pump and a battery or inverter as a transfer pump. would save on hand pumping and should reduce spills.

Todd Tolhurst
08-24-2010, 01:16 AM
That's a simple, direct, and fool-proof solution. What's the point? ;)

thedieter
08-24-2010, 01:57 AM
I recently bought a five gallon red plastic gas can to replace one (also red plastic) that I bought about 1975 for use on our Zodiac boat. I figured that the plastic can't last forever so to be on the safe side I replaced it.

The new one has a combination lever operated valve, vent and nozzle with a flex hose. I have to wonder if the designer ever tried to use it because with the nozzle straight ahead, the lever hits the body of the can and won't go fully open so I have to turn the nozzle to the side somewhat to get the lever open. Since the vent is in the nozzle, the gas leaks sometimes and the flow is slow.

In the "old days", it was common knowlege that only metal cans could be used for storing gas but the gas tank in my lawn tractor is made out of translucent plastic so the rules must be changed.

Best regards, Jack

Ken_Shea
08-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Funny, just picked up a nice red plastic fuel can along side the road tonight, actually there were two, I passed on by the first one, this one has a 4" rigid spout, what dang good is that, thinking about taking it back.

oldbikerdude37
08-24-2010, 02:16 AM
I did.

It's been awhile since I had purchased a gas can...I have always purchased metal cans and treat them well...the ones I have are decades old.

So when I was in a store recently I purchased some five gallon plastic ones.

When I got them home I started looking at the spouts that came with them...WTH?

http://www.sparepartsnmore.com/displaypic.php?src=1&image=images/I/31j4tNrrO9L._SL160_.jpg

Obviously I have been passed by with the march of gas can spout technology... ;<) ...and some designer had way too much time on his hands.

The new spouts are going goodbye...any suggestions for a HSM buildable gas can spout that works?

You might find this of interest...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1899083

Thanks

TMT

George bush wants you to blow up and made a law that all gas cans must blow up unless you pay a gas can tax.

bborr01
08-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Just for the record, I did buy my crappy cans from wally world during the w bush years.

I also doubt that he had much to do with my crappy gas cans.

I suspect too many bureaucrats in DC.

Brian

GKman
08-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Are you the same crybabies and conspiracy theorists predicting the end of the world in the 70s when the US government started putting emission limits on automobiles? Manufactures met the new requirements with the worst-running, fuel guzzling , unreliable crap that they could dream up and blamed the government. Now you can get 430 HP and 26 MPG with a fraction of those 70s emissions.

Are manufactures too stupid to design a decent CARB gas can. I doubt it. I think that they are smart enough to know what a bunch of cheapskates the American consumers are. Well buy anything that is cheap enough, bitch to no end about it, but buy it none the less.

BWS
08-24-2010, 09:29 AM
1/2 a dz Eagle cans here.........really like the 2 1/2 G size.Was lucky enough to snag all the remaining stock of replacement nozzles when seeing the end in site.Reason for post however is;they still make funnels w/flex steel tubing attatched......simple,cut/swage/gasket-ize.Fuel hose works as well.BW

Ken_Shea
08-24-2010, 10:06 AM
crybabies
conspiracy theorists
cheapskates
bitch to no end

LOL, all that over a gas can and at 7am my time no less, thanks for good chuckle this morning.

Toolguy
08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I ran into the same problem recently. Cut off the newfangled nozzle, saving the screw on cap part. Got a piece of 1/2 ID clear reinforced hose and a hose barb to fit it from Ace hardware. Turned a piece of Delrin on the lathe to go under the screw on cap (about 1/8 in. thick) then 1/2 thick in the middle with a 1/2 pipe thread to screw the hose barb into, sticking up through the middle of the cap. Stuck the hose on and capped it off with a rubber end cap from a end mill tube. The vent is opposite the pour spout. I just pull off the end cap, unscrew the vent 1/2 turn and pour like the good old days with no spills.

moe1942
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
you could always rig up a 12 volt fuel pump and a battery or inverter as a transfer pump. would save on hand pumping and should reduce spills.

This idea should garner someone a Darwin Award if they don't use an explosion proof pump motor...:)

winchman
08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Fortunately, I saw the new style gas cans while the old style were still on the shelf. Even though I have no need for a gas can, and haven't used one in several years, I bought one of the old style just in case I might need one in the future.

Too_Many_Tools
08-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Fortunately, I saw the new style gas cans while the old style were still on the shelf. Even though I have no need for a gas can, and haven't used one in several years, I bought one of the old style just in case I might need one in the future.

Any idea when the conversion occurred?

My personal cans are older and this purchase was just a spur of the moment.

I had heard others complaining about the CARB cans but this is the first I have taken the time to closely examine the spouts.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
08-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Just for the record, I did buy my crappy cans from wally world during the w bush years.

I also doubt that he had much to do with my crappy gas cans.

I suspect too many bureaucrats in DC.

Brian

The reason is that there are just too many people squeezed in too little space...and their emissions cause pollution.

While one has no need for CARB in the wide open spaces of Montana, in areas of California it is very much necessary.

If you have ever lived with smog, you understand the need.

And of course companies just make one size fits all.

TMT

winchman
08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking late 2008 or early 2009.

Too_Many_Tools
08-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Are you the same crybabies and conspiracy theorists predicting the end of the world in the 70s when the US government started putting emission limits on automobiles? Manufactures met the new requirements with the worst-running, fuel guzzling , unreliable crap that they could dream up and blamed the government. Now you can get 430 HP and 26 MPG with a fraction of those 70s emissions.

Are manufactures too stupid to design a decent CARB gas can. I doubt it. I think that they are smart enough to know what a bunch of cheapskates the American consumers are. Well buy anything that is cheap enough, bitch to no end about it, but buy it none the less.

I agree.

If one looks at the new spouts, they have an impressive number of features incorporated into them...and that took someone smart.

The problem seems to be the implementation...when the price point for retail is $10 or less (I bought mine on sale for $3.00 ;<) ), improperly implementing the design in vast quantities guarantees poor results.

The solution?

I don't know....remember I passed on a $50 metal can to buy a $3 plastic one. ;<)

TMT

Dr Stan
08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
This idea should garner someone a Darwin Award if they don't use an explosion proof pump motor...:)

an automotive fuel pump has an explosion proof pump motor as they are inside the fuel tanks

bdarin
08-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Romex silver soldered to a metal cap, rubber hose over romex?

Cheeseking
08-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Wow. Never gave it a thought. Me has (2) 2.5 gal red plastic ones bought 15 years ago that work GREAT. One for reg gas the other for 2 cycle mix. They pour great and never leak a drop. The spouts are rigid yellow plastic with snap on end cap. Vented at the rear with similar snap on cap.
Chilton Metal Products model P20 I did a search and sure enough they are discontinued. Replaced by CP20 no doubt CARB compliant junk.

From this thread I can see I need to hold on to them for dear life. It is probably ridiculous but I am hoarding incadescent bulbs, cans of 134A, 7.62 x 51 NATO ..... :p

saltmine
08-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I bought a 2 gallon plastic can a little while ago, to keep extra fuel for my moped.

For what it cost, they should have filled it with gas, too.

Don't forget 12 gage #00 buckshot rounds, too Cheeseking... They're out of them at Wal-Mart half of the time.

gda
08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Well, now I know why I have not been able to find new nozzles for my tanks now.

gnm109
08-24-2010, 07:22 PM
The plastic gas containers that are sold now in California are simply worthless. They have plastic ratchet dealies that make it near impossible to remove the cap to fill them. They also have a strong spring that must be compressed so that you can attempt to pour fuel. They are poorly vented so that even if you manage to press hard enough on the nozzle to compress the spring to get some fuel flowing, the flow is about 20% of what it should be so you have to stand there like a fool trying to use the thing.

Did I say that they are worthless? They also cost double what a metal can used to cost. Sweet.

KiddZimaHater
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
YES YES YES .........
I have bought a 'new' gas can lately.
What a piece of crap!
The SAFETY POLICE have determined that we are too stupid to know how to pour gas safely.
The new can has a 'SAFETY' on/off lever (plastic) which broke the first time I used it! The dumb-ass switch has to be pushed in order for the can to pour.
Again, WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP.......
I went to 4 stores, and soon realized that all four carried the exact same can.
(O'Reilly Auto Parts, Home Depot, AutoZone, then Walmart)
Here's the can.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a4/a4b9a191-7f10-4694-b208-dc410da7fa15_300.jpg

gnm109
08-24-2010, 09:07 PM
YES YES YES .........
What a piece of crap!
The SAFETY POLICE have determined that we are too stupid to know how to pour gas safely.
The new can has a 'SAFETY' on/off lever (plastic) which broke the first time I used it! The dumb-ass switch has to be pushed in order for the can to pour.
Here's the can.
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a4/a4b9a191-7f10-4694-b208-dc410da7fa15_300.jpg

Thank the EPA. :(

AlphaGeek
08-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Yep, that's the CARB-compliant nozzle I referred to in an earlier post.

Totally agree on the challenges removing and reinstalling the nozzle assembly.

On the other hand, I actually like the fact that it's overfill-proof. Yes, it takes a bit longer to fill up the tank, but I have never ended up with gas spewing onto a hot engine or dripping on the driveway with the new nozzles. I'm pretty sure that's the point of the mandated design change.

-AG

CCWKen
08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking late 2008 or early 2009.
I think it was much earlier than that. I remember going to Northern Tool to get lights for a tractor around 2004 or 05 and saw some "new style" cans then. That was the first round. I wish I had stocked up on the old style then.

I was thinking about getting a Gas Caddy for diesel. But I can't figure out how to load it into a truck to fill it at the station then unload it. I ain't gonna fill the dang thing using the new cans, that's for sure. :cool:

Todd Tolhurst
08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I was thinking about getting a Gas Caddy for diesel. But I can't figure out how to load it into a truck to fill it at the station then unload it. I ain't gonna fill the dang thing using the new cans, that's for sure. :cool:

Attach this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_11839_11839) to a ceiling joist in the garage:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/45538_lg.jpg

Cheeseking
08-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I mis-stated - the Chilton P20 cans are 2 gal not 2.5 According to the date code molded in the bottom, the two I have were made in the USA :) in 1995!

You would think flexible spouts would be better but the angle at the end of the rigid ones works in most situations unless the can is really full and you need to tip it excessively to reach the fuel tank opening. Absolutely no drips or leaks and the caps still snap on and seal positively. Sometimes when I flip the vent cap it will hiss if I leave it sitting in the sun while mowing or whatever so they are working good..

Love my cans man!

http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/hambhelpr/0824102138.jpg
http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/hambhelpr/0824102139.jpg

mf205i
08-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Last time I got the 5 Gal plastic cans labeled for kerosene. These had the old full flow spouts and the price was reasonable. I use them for Diesel. The spouts were interchangeable with the CARB spouts.
Mike

Too_Many_Tools
08-25-2010, 02:01 AM
Last time I got the 5 Gal plastic cans labeled for kerosene. These had the old full flow spouts and the price was reasonable. I use them for Diesel. The spouts were interchangeable with the CARB spouts.
Mike

Thanks for the confirmation.

I suspected that might be the case.

TMT

timm525
08-25-2010, 04:11 AM
Hi gang,

Try your local Army/Navy surplus supply for a nozzle for the metal cans.

You can buy the metal ones at Northern Tools for about 40 bucks. They come with the CARB crap nozzle and a metal bung for transport.

I'm thinking of buying a few of them from them and just use the metal nozzle I bought from my Army/Navy store a few years ago.

I had bought a great all plastic 5 gal "military issue" (Scepter) can from "Brigade Quatermaster" a few years back along with a nozzle for it. Last year went to order a few more and were told that they were not CARB compliant and were for Military purchase only. :mad: It is a great can. Too bad I only have one.

oldtiffie
08-25-2010, 04:27 AM
Originally Posted by CCWKen
I was thinking about getting a Gas Caddy for diesel. But I can't figure out how to load it into a truck to fill it at the station then unload it. I ain't gonna fill the dang thing using the new cans, that's for sure.

Attach this (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_11839_11839) to a ceiling joist in the garage:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/45538_lg.jpg

Todd.

If you turn that block-and-tackle end-for-end (ie top-to-bottom and bottom-to-top) you will get quite a bit of additional lifting effort at the load for quite a bit less "pull" on your part. It will be "slower" but easier.

As shown it is "rove to disadvantage".

HTRN
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
How to "fix" post CARB steel gas cans. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/jerry-can-mod-screw-epa-1025877/)

Todd Tolhurst
08-25-2010, 03:20 PM
If you turn that block-and-tackle end-for-end (ie top-to-bottom and bottom-to-top) you will get quite a bit of additional lifting effort at the load for quite a bit less "pull" on your part. It will be "slower" but easier.

As shown it is "rove to disadvantage".

I guess the catalog photographer for Northern Tool wasn't too concerned which end was up!

metalmagpie
08-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Can you still buy decent gas cans in Canada?

Too_Many_Tools
08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
How to "fix" post CARB steel gas cans. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/jerry-can-mod-screw-epa-1025877/)

Thanks for posting this...good stuff.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
YES YES YES .........
What a piece of crap!
Here's the can.

Actually I was thinking that perhaps the problem is not enough Government.

What they are trying to achieve is (less spilling, auto closure, capturing of the fumes...) is a good goal, the implementation placed on the market just seems to suck.

If the Government was making sure the companies were implementing the requirements WHILE STILL MAKING A SPOUT THAT FUNCTIONS PROPERLY AS TO EASE OF USE AND POURABILITY I think we would have a product that we would all like.

In my case, I bought 5 gallon plastic cans. The spouts for the 5 gallon cans are the same ones on the quart plastic cans. The weight difference for fuel between the two different cans is 20:1..which is a big factor in using the larger can.

TMT

Todd Tolhurst
08-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Actually I was thinking that perhaps the problem is not enough Government.
[...]
If the Government was making sure the companies were implementing the requirements WHILE STILL MAKING A SPOUT THAT FUNCTIONS PROPERLY AS TO EASE OF USE AND POURABILITY I think we would have a product that we would all like.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all month.

Todd Tolhurst
08-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Bye the bye, the government did in fact set the standards for ease of use and pourability, particularly with respect to pour rate. Maine's regulations (http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/rules/06/096/096c155.doc), which are typical, require a flow rate of not less than 2 gallons per minute for fuel can with a capacity greater than 2.5 gallons.

So there's government product design for you: 150 seconds to empty a 5-gallon can is right up to government standards.

Dan Dubeau
08-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Can you still buy decent gas cans in Canada?

Define decent? I just bought 3 a couple weeks ago (5, 10, and 20 liter). They have no vent, and the nozzle has a pour vent built in. They pour slower than the old style, and I'm not a big fan of not having a vent on the can, but they work, they hold gas, and call me crazy but I actually like the new vented nozzle (not the on/off style you guys are talking about).

Too_Many_Tools
08-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Define decent? I just bought 3 a couple weeks ago (5, 10, and 20 liter). They have no vent, and the nozzle has a pour vent built in. They pour slower than the old style, and I'm not a big fan of not having a vent on the can, but they work, they hold gas, and call me crazy but I actually like the new vented nozzle (not the on/off style you guys are talking about).

How long does it take you to pour 20 liters with the new nozzles?

With 5 gallons, the can is heavy enough that faster is better.

TMT

Dan Dubeau
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
No idea, I've never dumped the whole can, usually only 5 or so liters at a time. It does take longer than the old style fixed, or flexy nozzles, but I've yet to spill a drop, and the way I pour I usually support the can with my knee propped up on something anyway, so the extra weight and taking longer isn't really a bother.

If time were a concern I'd switch my lawn tractor over to a dry break setup and use my dump can to fill it in 5 seconds. A few seconds longer to fill without spilling anything works for me. I just don't like not having a vent on the can itself. Bulging tanks make me nervous.

Rex
08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Racer supply stores should have those nice 5-gal jugs for $20-$30, no valves.
Off-road only, ya know.
Blitz makes jugs designated for diesel, water, and perhaps kerosene.
Only diff is the color, and the spout.

Too_Many_Tools
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
No idea, I've never dumped the whole can, usually only 5 or so liters at a time. It does take longer than the old style fixed, or flexy nozzles, but I've yet to spill a drop, and the way I pour I usually support the can with my knee propped up on something anyway, so the extra weight and taking longer isn't really a bother.

If time were a concern I'd switch my lawn tractor over to a dry break setup and use my dump can to fill it in 5 seconds. A few seconds longer to fill without spilling anything works for me. I just don't like not having a vent on the can itself. Bulging tanks make me nervous.

Same here.

I have seen cans (metal or plastic) split at the seam when not vented properly.

Even when they are stored in a cool, dark environment, pressure buildup occurs.

A few years ago a house burned down. The word was that the owner stored gasoline in an illegal container that burst and leaked the contents. The ignition occurred when the wife came home and opened the garage door.

TMT

TMT

jim davies
08-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Up here in the boondocs, metal cans never seem to survive the pounding of washboard gravel roads like plastic does. I have seen the locals with almost round plastic cans from being overfilled and sitting in the blazing sun for days. Never had a plastic one die yet.

I have bought several of Lee Valley's spouts and they work well. Set the
trigger, and you can turn them upside down without leakage, Then when you push on the spout's end [after getting it in the hole] out comes the fuel. Pull the can back and the spout closes.

Go to:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p=57733&cat=2,54322

Abner
08-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Had a boss who bought a cheap plastic can for a backpack blower. Fouled teh plug constantly. Finally after enough bitching he replaced it with a metal can- problem solved.

Best source for metal cans - Goodwill. I have bought several for $1.00 each!
They treat them like toxic waste, many look like they came out of Grandpa's barn. Don't tell anyone else until you have yours....

HTRN
08-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Racer supply stores should have those nice 5-gal jugs for $20-$30, no valves.
Off-road only, ya know.
Blitz makes jugs designated for diesel, water, and perhaps kerosene.
Only diff is the color, and the spout.

All the cans must now meet EPA standards. Blitz, for instance, now makes something called "Enviro-Flo" for all their cans, including the 5 gallon Jerry style cans.

HTRN

Too_Many_Tools
08-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I would be interested in seeing what others have MADE for replacements for their gas can spouts.

TMT

krutch
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
The bureacrap that designed the useless spout/can most likely never poured gas. And probably conciders doing so beneath him. Excuse me, or her. PC ya know!

gnm109
08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
All the cans must now meet EPA standards. Blitz, for instance, now makes something called "Enviro-Flo" for all their cans, including the 5 gallon Jerry style cans.

HTRN

Why yes, that's true. They do meet EPA standards which are designed to do the following:

1. Cause maximum frustratio due to extreme difficulty of removing the spout to fill the container.

2. Cause maximum frustration when attempting to fuel your vehicle or mower due to the extremely strong spring and "sticktion" of the end of the filling spout.

3. Cause maximum spillage, again due to the extreme sticktion of the end of the filling spout which nearly every time causes the spout to remain open when the fuel tank has filled.

4. Increase cost to the consumer due to all of the stupid, unnecessary, foolish, wasteful features included which are ony to defeat the use of the vehicles which you want to fuel.

When first saw one of the new cans, I was in awe of the utter stupidity and pernicious thought behind its design. Satan himself could not have devised a more vile instrument.

There are undoubtedly more reasons but it's not worth the trouble.