PDA

View Full Version : Paging "Fastrack"-Look at the Video

beckley23
08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Tom,
The video gives a new meaning to "Superlathe". It's a long video.
http://www.binnsmachinery.com/
Makes our lathes look wimpy.
The link is from the "Vanguard Lathe-Nightmare" thread on PM.
Harry

doctor demo
08-23-2010, 11:29 PM
So Harry, When are You going to get one?
That was an incredible video. Thanks for posting.
I thought having a 20 horse lathe was a pretty good accomplishment, kind of makes it look like a little Taig in comparison.

Steve:)

Liger Zero
08-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Be fun to put a small HF lathe in that thing, just for laughs.

KINGWELD
08-24-2010, 12:10 AM
SUPERLATHE

Now there's an understatement!!!:D

Awesome video. Thanks for posting.

lazlo
08-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm going to get rotten tomatoes for saying this, but if they're so proud of their lathe, why only a one year warranty?

* One year warranty on all parts and labor; see standard warranty terms.

Fasttrack
08-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Makes our lathes look wimpy.

Lalalalala .... I'm not listening! :D

Actually, I've seen that video before. I don't say this very often, but I think that is actually TOO much lathe for me to handle ;) :) Thanks for posting it. This time I saved it to my desktop so I won't forget it!

beckley23
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
I can always say I don't have the room, which is true, but I'm not interested in that type of work. That lathe is designed for a particular class of work, and would be useless for what I do. It's nice to think of the possibilties, though.
That lathe ain't going to go on a 10" slab, I wonder what the foundation requirements are, plus what infrastructure is needed. Overhead cranes, 20,00 LBS chips per hour; gives pause for further considerations.
I bought my 78" centers lathe, because it has the handcrank for moving the tailstock, for a particular job that requires a lot of tailstock moving.
Harry

Mcgyver
08-24-2010, 11:48 PM
thanks for that. I've been through steel mills and and size and power of the rolling mills producing coils is incredible....always wondered how those massive, hard rollers are turned, now i know. Those recirculating ball ways were very neat

In the winter, apparently they'd drop a coil in the yard near an outside crew...I got kick out of that steel mill tidbit